Cd burner not working

yankspy

Has anyone ever had a problem come up with burning cd's. This one in particular is that my drive keeps spitting out blank cd's and telling me to insert a blank or rewritable cd. Occasionally it will work which is strange because I am using the same cd's. Could it be the quality of the blanks. They are memorex. I know the burner works because it will burn a dvd with no problem. Thanks in advance for your help.

Some burners can be very particular about what CDs they will work with, others will burn anything (mine do). If it starts burning for a few seconds and then spits it out, it's probably the CDs - try another brand.
If you have a burning program which allows you to get info on the cd (like Nero), check it and make sure the burner can "see" it. That often answers a lot of questions.
Also make sure your settings are correct and that you are actually asking it to burn a CD, not a DVD (easier to do than you think, he says  :-[  )
There's also the possibility that (if you have more than one CD/DVD drive - especially if one isn't a burner, it's set to the wrong one (done that, oops) .
Try cleaning the CDs as well (they sometimes get a coating on them from being stored too long).
Have you been burning CDs before OK? This "will it won't it" situation can also mean a new burner is needed.
There are hundreds of possibilities depending on how much success you have had before.
Just because it burns DVDs doesn't mean the burner is fine, by the way nor does the fact that it plays CDs fine.
Finally, make sure you have the correct ASPI installed and that the various parts are compatible with each other. (Download ASPI checking program from Adeptec - Google for it).

It could be a bad drive as well.  I've had drives go, they can be somewhat flakey on one media and not the other.  This was a while back.  I occasionally refresh my hardware to avoid failure though so it hasn't really happened in a while.

I have also had Nero do this on me a few times (after installing a new program - Nero isn't very forgiving) and WMP refuses to burn anything at all (given up on that - incompatibility between a couple of programs) which reinstalling (after use of all the removal tools as well) fixed.
Try removing the drive (device manager),  close the PC and restart and let windows reinstall it or see if you can borrow another drive/burner from a friend.
I had a whole spindle of 100 CD-Rs from PC World that did this. There was  a fault on them ( you could hear a strange grinding sound when you turned them on the spindle). I took them back and they replaced them. Problem solved. Occasionally, bad batches do get out.,

Back