BitTorrent 4.4.1, Macs, and trying to give back.

dgo33

So, I have BitTorrent 4.4.1 on a Mac.  I'm trying to give back to the kind folks on here by sharing torrents, but it seems that after 30 minutes or so, uploads just seem to stop.

I restart BitTorrent and magically the uploads start cranking out again, so I know the stopped uploads aren't due to lack of interest by others.  I don't have this problem uploading torrents through other servers.

Is this a problem on my end or some configuration issue not in synch with the servers on here?

I did download the latest version of BitTorrent for the Mac (4.24.1, beta) and was not happy with it and it didn't appear to be sharing torrents, but only pulling files down.

Anyone else having this kind of problem or able to offer up any ideas on how I can provide a more reliable sharing source of the torrents I'm trying to share? 

I'm willing to use other clients than BitTorrent, so recommendations are welcome.  I'm not willing to change computers/OSs, so those recommendations, while welcome, probably won't be implemented.

dolbyman - I have downloaded azureus and giving it a shot.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Hopefully that will help.

kirky - I am on DSL from SBC/ATT/whoever they are now.

I know some ISPs are persnickety about torrent users and such.  In looking around on this site, I see that many people are using non-default ports.  Is it wise to move from the default port, to avoid any blocks/limits the ISP may be imposing?

Quick update.

Been running Azureus for over a day and I'm seeing a continued output of uploads to lucky folks wishing for their Disney audio/video fixes.

Thanks dolbyman for the recommendation.  I feel so much better being able to provide a more reliable giving-back-ness.

Yes,to answer your question, I prefer non standard ports, and I also require encryption.  No encryption and youwon't get anything from me.  Reason is, unless it's encrypted, it will be traffic shaped by COMCR@P and won't get out anyway.  The cat and mouse game continues...

kirky,

So, this encryption thing you speak of.  I understand the whole underlying encryption thing, but how does one do this encryption/decryption process with torrents?  This is a new aspect to this whole file sharing to me.  I'll look around and try to get smart on this aspect, particularly now knowing some folks are implementing it to keep the net-cops out of the mix.

adambz - I'll look into transmission.  what are the advantages of using it vs, say, azureus?  Having just installed azureus and seemingly happy with what it's doing for me, but willing to learn from the experts on here.

Encryption is not supported by all torrent clients.  I know that Azureus does, which is one of the reasons why I use it. 

Within my version os Azureus, click Tools | Options | Connection | Transport Encryption,  and I have Require Encrypted Transport checked.  In Azureus you can allow it to fall back to unencrypted if the encryption contact fails, but honestly, I won't get anything out through Comcrap if it's not encrypted, so it really doesn't matter

Back