Taking out background music in MP3s

bryan29

I have a question to ask. I have some disney audio files with background music in them. I would like to take out the background music in them. Can you do that or not? Thanks for your help.

is the background music a sepperate part or is it "in the background"

if it's a part a simple cut would do it, so just the background part is saved as a sepperate mp3
if it's in the background it's near impossible to extract it .. the mp3 format just destroys too much information for that task

no .. flac is lossless encoding .. so that you can do all "tricks" you could do woth uncompressed pcm wav's .. you can also do with flac

stereo means two tracks .. but this is true for all formats nevertheless the compression

but don't get your expectaions too high .. even though it's flac it doesn't mean you can extract everything in sepperate tracks

I have seen some examples where, if the music is stereo, but the speech is mono (meaning the same for both channels really), you could subtract the "like" frequencies from both and the result would just be the music, however I can't help but think that would degrade the music tremendously.

For the most part with anything audio or video, you can only hope that what you get initially is the good enough.

Do programs extract the channels from WAV or is there something else you have to do? It would make some songs I listen to a lot more interested with isolated vocals and music.

ozzietropics said:
Do programs extract the channels from WAV or is there something else you have to do? It would make some songs I listen to a lot more interested with isolated vocals and music.

As kirky pointed out above, the only scenario that really works is when you have a file that contains a truly monaural voice signal mixed in with a stereo source (music).  Using any audio editing software, you would invert/flip one of the channels (left or right) and then mix the stereo recording down to a mono signal.  The result should contain only music (as long as the voice was exactly equal in both channels) but it will be mono; you lose the stereo effect.  Certain programs may have an automatic function to perform this task in one step.  They tend to be called some variation of "vocal cut" or "vocal removal".

Most of the programs that "remove" vocals from tracks also remove instruments in the music that are close in dynamic range like guitar.  It makes the music sound a bit muddy, or bass heavy.

There is no true way to remove a vocal and keep the music without quality loss unless the music and the vocal are recorded separated into different channels (in most cases, left or right.)

Too many people watching those crime movies where they split out different sounds and isolate others to catch the crook ;D
The sounds (unless as already said that the music is on one channel and the vocals on another)  are mixed together and are therefore only one sound now.
Your ear tells you there is a vocal and a background track, electronically, it's only one.
Yes, as said you could try and wipe out the frequencies of the vocals etc but you are never going to get it to sound right because you will also wipe out the same frequencies from the music.

Back