CD/DVD Burning Software (Nero or like Nero!)

So, I used to have a very old version of Nero (I honestly don't remember the version, I don't have it around anymore, I reformatted my computer) and it seemed to work okay to me.  Now I would like to purchase software like Nero, except I have read horrible reviews about the last few versions of Nero.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Thanks!

Whatdo you need to do?  I use ImgBurn for a lot, but it's not for everyone.  I use an older verson of Nero (v8) as well, sometimes it's just easier.  Never been a fan of Roxio products.

Thanks Kirky.  I would like to be able to compile/edit DVD's from video files I have.  I would also like to be able to have a program to burn the .iso files posted here.  That's the majority of what I would like to do.

My wife uses the free Ashampoo Burning Studio Free with few problems, (with most software she thinks I'm the built in help desk).  It's free I'd give it a try before splashing out.

I still like older Nero as well.

I got frightened of by all the problems people had with the later issues of Nero when thinking about upgrading.
I'm still on V6.
It's one problem is other similar programs keep overwriting stuff/making them default and me having to remove everything (a pain) and reinstall it.
I paid for this version (but it originally came with the DVD writer) and the extra add-ons and I'm blowed if I'm paying again just 'cos they've decided to change it. :mad:
That being said, it has no whistles and bells. Just the basic burning etc.

For ISOs I'd recommend ImgBurn for sure.  As far as creating DVDs, I usually author my own stuff and create an ISO that I then burn with ImgBurn.  I'm not too familiar with some fo that all in one software.  I think the Nero counterpart is Nero Redode or something, I'll defer to others.

I have Nero 9, but have not used it a lot yet. My motherboard died and I got a new computer and my much older version of Nero that came with my external DVD burner would not work on Vista, which is now on my new computer. (I wasn't really happy about that one either). So far, I haven't had any problems with it, but I have not done much with it.  I also have Pinnacle Studio Plus 11.  I have had Studio 8, 9, 10 and 11. There is a 12 out, but I have not upgraded to it yet, not sure that I will. The earlier versions were not very user friendly, but I like the more recent versions much better. Everyone has their own taste. I probably like it best because I am more familiar with it since I have used it for so long.  The earlier versions gave me a lot more trouble with crashes etc., but I have never had those problems out of 10 or 11.  I might try a software program for free before I spent money on any of them.  I know I spent about $99 each on Nero and Pinnacle.

I know there hasn't been answered for 120 days, so if this is kicking a topic or what so ever than please an admin should contact me. (I always forget some forum rules :-[)
I Use the newest Nero 9 version and it is great, I use it often for compiling, create dvd menus and so on.
I didn't knew that there were so many people who have got problems with it. ???
Maybe it is my specs, I put them down for you.

Moterboard: ASUS M4A785D-M PRO
RAM: 4GB Kingston 800 Mhz
CPU (Processor): AMD Phenom II X4 945 (very fast quad-core  ;D)

Kind Regards, ;)

Wcool

Good to hear they seem to have a stable version now. 7 and 8 seemed to have a lot of problems for many people (maybe conflicts with other programs - Nero can be very picky what it shares a PC with)
Which OS are you running. Vista,  XP or the new one Windows 7?

I too have been using Nero 9 on Vista and now on Windows 7 with excellent results. I have also used Ulead DVD Movie Factory 6 Plus on both Vista and Windows 7 as well. Each has it's own special features and I use them pretty much equally.

eyore said:
Which OS are you running. Vista,  XP or the new one Windows 7?
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits with Nero 9.4.26.0, because a 32 bit OS cannot take more than 3.25 GB RAM and I have 4 GB and still planning to upgrade more RAM.
I had Windows Vista, but Windows Vista is a bit laggy. It needs more RAM than the new Windows 7 and Windows 7 works more lighter (not so heavy for your CPU) if you know what I mean ;)
I also had Ulead video editing software, but my opinion is that it is a bit too complicated for me.
Hope this helps,

wcool

Back