Burning DVD's (VOB files) and MP3 CD's help

Forhamlet

I recently downloaded some movies online that were dvd rips.They werent divx or wmv files. They were actual dvd files, vob and BUP files, which you'd find in the VIDEO_TS folder if you explored a dvd. I tried to copy them as was back onto a dvd and it wouldn't play. How can I copy the files to get them to play on a dvd player again? Also I am trying to burn an MP3 disk on to a dvd because there is 1 gig of files so it won't fit onto a regular CD-R and when I tried to split the files and put it on 2 CD-R it wouldn't play as an mp3 cd. What am I doing wrong.. Thanks in advance.

I use the free Windows utility ImgBurn to make an ISO image of a DVD from its VOB, IFO and BUP files.  Then that ISO image can be burned, mounted in a virtual DVD drive, etc.
http://www.imgburn.com/

I've never made an MP3 CD so I'm sorry I can't help you with that particular problem.

Same answer from me re Imgburn and virtual drive.  :D

Note that some DVD players also require the audio.TS file to be there as well (even though it's empty)
I have had occasions when it was missing and the DVD wouldn't be recognized as a DVD.
Assing that folder and reburning the lot (as data files) to a DVD worked.
The other thing to watch for is the bup files may need re-authoring if anything has changed - a little like trying to upload a torrent if you've, say, removed one track or altered the title etc- it won't work.
Now, the MP3 files.
I'm not too sure what you are saying here  ???
You have copied your mp3 files to a DVD (as Data, I hope and not as a DVD)?
If you've burned a music DVD, you'll have to rip it back to the PC and then copy the mp3 files to a folder and reburn a CD from those files.
If you make an audio DVD, then it's a DVD and will play as an audio DVD.
Just burn the MP3's to DVD as a Data DVD for storing them and you can lift the individual tracks off it anytime. Burned as a DVD, you have to rip it to get them back again (just like ripping the audio track off any DVD).
Personally, I've never tried burning an audio DVD as (as you are trying to do) I just burn several CDs instead for playing (data DVDs for backup purposes only).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Audio
Sorry, a bit waffly there but I'm not quite sure if I got what you were asking.

I think the DVD Spec requires a AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder on the root of the DVD and nothing else.  Video files need to be within the VIDEO_TS folder, do not rename files, et.

There are other requirements as to the format of the DVD as well, I use IMGBURN as well as Nero at times.  In Nero, make sure you're burning a DVD-Video disc, not data.  Also, it's possible that your DVD player is unable to play a DVD+-R disc.  Many older and a few newer players don't understand the format.  DVD+R used to be more compatible, I think it's leaning towards DVD-R these days.

There's a HUGE difference between DVD Audio and a DVD with MP3s.  I suspect you're trying to burn a disc full of MP3s for a car radio or soemthing.  Not all MP3 capable radios play DVD disks.  It may require CDs in order to recognize them, DVD recordables and CD recordables are two very different technologies.  DVD Audio, like I said is a whole different ball of wax, I suspect you are not trying to burn a DVD Audio disc.

Took me a while as to what the heck I meant there in my last post about "assing that folder"  :eek:
My apologies, it should have been "aDDing that folder".  :p Sorry.
Forhamlet, could you tell us if we are getting what you are attempting right.
There's a lot been covered here (and I've made mental notes, thanks guys).
I still haven't quite understood about splitting the files for the 2 CD-Rs though.
What exactly are you trying to split? The DVD files maybe?
You can't just split a DVD between two CDs. They are not interchangable unless, as I said, you just copied data to the DVD and are using  it like a HDD.
As Kirky said, totally different animals these various DVDs.

Sorry for the confusion and thanks for the help. I am trying to make an mp3 disk. I have 1.5 gigs of mp3s(230 mp3s). I am trying to burn an mp3 disk to play in dvd players and car stereos. Because of the total file size I am using a dvd to make the disk and I couldn't play the disk on anything after the first burn. It was a data disk not a dvd format disk. I tried distributing the files evenly between 2 cdr disks to see if it was the disk I was using and still nothing. I was not trying to burn a dvd audio disk lol I didn't even know that was possible. I also ran into a little bit of confusion because a long time ago I could burn mp3 cdr disks on different computers in data format and have the mp3s in folders and they would play in cars and on dvd players this is the first time I ran into the issue of them not playing. I really appreciate all of your help lol. I hope this also helps several other people with these issues.

And image burn did the trick all I needed was the VIDEO_TS file as well. A little info on the movie i was making a burn of was Song of the South. I don't know where the DVD rip came from but it has special features, music, and an extra cartoon. Thanks again

Glad you got it sorted out.
Regarding the previous post, you probably finalized the disc which prevents anything else being added.
It IS possible to get more than one session on a DVD quite easily but it entails re-authoring the DVD and you lose things like the menus etc (I've done it for copying TV series with several episodes onto one disc). Use DVD Shrink to re-author.
As said, not all DVD players and car stereos will play mp3 files. Depends on the particular player.
The user guide should tell you what formats are playable on your particular players.
You may just have a car stereo that doesn't  :(
mp3 in data format IS what you need so, if they don't play, test them on something you know WILL play MP3 files (like your PC). That will, at least. tell you if they are burned correctly.

Back