Turning a DVD into a wmv?

Mrtoad1

I have a promotional video that was put out by GM back in the 80\'s, it is all about Disneyworld and the World of Motion. I transferred it from VHS to DVD and now I would like to take the DVD and turn it into something like a WMV so I can shar it with everyone. Does anyone know how I can do that or what program I need to do that? Your help is greatly appreciated :)

there are long guides how to convert stuff with freeware tools or ton of shareware software

what do you prefer ? ;)

dolbyman said:
there are long guides how to convert stuff with freeware tools or ton of shareware software

what do you prefer ? ;)

Really whatever is the quickest and easiest. I just want something so i can turn my DVD into a file for sharing.

Also kustomboy I don\'t really know what you mean by that?

looking at most of the files that people are sharing, I would rather encode the video into an AVI. Do I need 2 programs? One to rip the video and another to encode into AVI or can I get one program that will do both? Please anyone if you can help me I would really appreciate it!!

I\'m sure what kustomboy was referring to is rip the DVD as an ISO file. It may be a larger download and take longer, but several people have posted ISOs and people here realy don\'t seem to mind the longer download times. Once downloaded you can burn them directly to a DVD.

If you need a program to create the ISO file download.com has free shareware programs that will do that for you.

Something to consider.

I am sorry looks like I will not be able to upload this great Video to anyone becuase I am not getting any help on what program/programs I need to get from DVD to AVI. I was just trying to be nice and give you all something to check out :-(

First you need to copy the DVD to your hard drive. I suggest you use the program \"DVDShrink\". When you copy the video track, make sure you configure the program to \"no compression\" or you may lose video quality as part of this transfer.

Then, feed the video to an encoder. I use \"StaxRip\" and I highly encourage you to, too. It\'s a bit more complex than an encode wizard but you can get some real good results out of it. StaxRip actually only coordinates the efforts of several programs, but as you configure StaxRip to encode it will figure out what other programs you need to download and assist you with downloading them. Very convenient!

BTW, while an h.263 video in an .avi container (created with DivX or Xvid) yields good quality, you will probably realize better quality from an h.264 codec. I suggest you use \"x264\" if you want better quality, which is part of StaxRip (as is Xvid and DivX). x264 can be used to generate a video to be stored in a .mp4 container (but not a .avi container). A .avi is fine, though, if you prefer it.

I\'ve also had great results from Virtual Dub using divx for the video and lame mp3 encoder for the audio. I think Virtual Dub may be a bit less complicated than Staxrip. I\'m not sure though... I only tried Staxrip a couple of times.

StaxRip actually uses VirtualDub to perform the encode. The point of StaxRip is to make sure your configuration is valid. It also offers some previewing options.

Back