Streaming video trouble, please advise

Atomicmickey

Hey all,

Over the years, I've amassed a great collection of Disney vids here, so first, thanks to all
for the amazing work.

Hoping some of the tech gurus here can help me enjoy them in a whole new way.

So--I've just taken the step into the new media world--bought a network streaming
media device for my TV (A Sony SMP-N100).  There are a couple of reasons why I did that,
one to stream Netflix and other services to the TV, the other to finally watch my collection
from this site on my couch on the big screen!  So, yay!

Well, here's the deal.  It works--but on the larger HD files, wow, the picture quality is great,
but it hitches and stutters like crazy.  Almost unwatchable.

The files I'm trying to enjoy are things like Dream along with Mickey HD, Keichi's Fantasmic
and Festival of the Lion King, Martin's Illuminations.

These are all 1080P, Blu Ray quality files.  They play fine on the media player on my computer.

I have a wireless N setup--with great connectivity and signal strength.  Netflix and the like
all play fine on this system.  I also have some smaller video files, in lesser resolution, that also
play well.

I am fearing/wondering, that I may need to somehow downconvert these files to play properly.
They look so great on the TV, if only they.  didn't.  stutt.  er.  and.  hit.  ch.

What might the problem be?  CPU? (Intel Quad Q9450 2.66GHZ)  Video card (NVidia GeForce 8800GTS)
Ram? (3.0GB)  OS is Windows 7 32 bit.

For example, let's take Dream Along with Mickey.  It's a 740MB .mp4, 1920 x 1080 5003Kbps.
Hitches like crazy.

Also, Keichi's Fantasmic. That's an .AVI, 707MB, 2386400kbps, 1920 x 1080.  Also hitches.

I hope there is something that can be done.  I have downloaded the SUPER converter--if anyone has any
suggestions about how to refine the files using that, that would be great.

Or anything at all, really.  Just hoping that I can stream BluRay quality through my network to
my new HD TV.  And enjoy these great videos in hi res the way they were created and meant to be seen.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice you can give!

I'm not that familiar with this setup (I use either a memory stick or an external HDD to my Popcorn media centre ) but I'd guess it's the wireless bit that's causing the problem if I'm reading it right.
If you try to play the same files from a memory stick or other USB storage, do they play OK?
If so, I'd reckon that PC and media player are fine, it's the transfer method that's causing the problem.
Others I'm sure will give lots more information for you. I do have one wireless point in the house that just seems to be slow on my laptop. Does the media player manual say anything about the input signal?  Maybe the PC igives such a good signal that it can't cope with it. Is the path within the recommended distance and is there anything in the path that could block the signal (freezer, large lead-lined room etc)?
OK, out of my depth now  :-[

I agree with what eyore suggested, test it from a stick or drive and see if it works fine.

From my experience, if the data is streamed via Wireless it should work if the other end (PC,NAS,etc) is connected via Ethernet , if both devices are wireless then there might be some hiccups involved, especially if there is no QOS set up.

going to vote with eyore and dolby,  I keep most files on  external USB HD's, which are normally connected to my computer, but I can very simply switch it to either my PS3 or Western digital TV Live.  Wifi streaming works ,using PS3 Media server or Orb, but it does suffer the odd hiccup.  I do also use small pens for quick viewing on occasions.  Hard wiring would obviously work, with the increased bandwidth,  I tend to only use the wifi streaming for live net stuff the the ps3 won't handle.

I don't think it's the wireless network for some reason, because it's
pretty solid as I said.  BUT the step of using a stick is a brilliant troubleshooting
idea that DOH I hadn't thought of.

I'll be right back, going to try that!  :) Thanks, I'll report in later!

Well, some testing has produced some progress.

I put two files on a USB stick, and the player said it couldn't recognize the
stick.

So, I got a USB portable hard drive, and put two files on there.  One plays
well, the other plays the audio only.  So, that's weird.  I need to recheck
the copy on that audio only .MP4.

Anyway--it is pointing to either the wireless network, or perhaps a problem
with the streaming from WMP.  Hard to say.

For now, I will probably set up a USB drive and just copy files I want to watch
to that.

I am still interested as to any other thoughts or responses, perhaps a breakthrough
will come in time.

It's a lot of work, but when you need a Disney fix, and there are such amazing
videos out there, well, nothing less will do!

I am very thankful for all responses and thoughts thus far.

Atomic, re the stick, just a thought, what format is it?  Could it be you have say NTFS when you need it FAT 32 ?  Just a thought....

I also have problems with WMP streaming,,,, I now use ps3 media server for the ps3 and orb,  orb I think does better over the wireless network than WMP , it just takes a bit of setting up.  oh and for some reason it takes a bit longer to start streaming,

Back