Burning Music to CD's

WDWBurghGooner

I am having problems burning music to CD's. In the past, I have burned songs that were purchased from iTunes on to discs with no problem. I have always used iTunes to burn CD's; all my Disney music is in my iTunes library and I would prefer to burn discs by creating Disney playlists through iTunes. Recently, the disc starts to burn and then iTunes says there is a problem and ejects the disc. The first time I attempted to burn Disney music it failed. One time about 8-10 seconds of the Living Seas BGM music actually played on a disc before going silent. I'd really love to be able to play the Disney music from this site in my car and can only do so using burned discs.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is there someway I can reconfigure my burner or reset it? Am I selecting the wrong format when burning the disc? I'm pretty computer illiterate so any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

There has been a recent iTunes update. May that be the cause? Maybe it didn't install properly.
Have you tried downloading a free burner program? If that works then the burner is OK and it's iTunes.
There is only one format to burn audio CDs in (unless you are making an mp3 data CD).
You may also have installed something which has caused a problem with iTunes (I know I had terrible problems with Nero due to that which stopeed it working and making plenty of coasters). It did just what you say is happening to you and needed Nero removing and re-installing.
I rarely do anything with iTUnes but can you try a re-install from the main site? I have no idea what that would entail or whether it would lose the playlists etc.

Forgot to mention, you can't reset or reconfigure a burner. If it's gone it's gone  :(
That being said, I have only ever had one go in the early 90's. The replacement I bought is still going strong (a Philips) after14 years and thousands of discs  ;D
It gets passed on from PC to PC.
Try reinstalling the update for iTunes that has just come out (you probably have it set to update without asking) and then trying to burn without using iTunes.
If it does the same thing, the burner is dud and you'll need a new one but try the other things first (it's cheaper)  ;)
I notice that the update of iTunes doesn't come with Quicktime. Could that be a problem?

Wizzard419 said:
Just out of curiosity, how old is your burner/how much have you used it?

I bought my computer back in January of last year, its the burner that came with the computer. I'm not sure how much I have used it but not a whole heck of a lot.

eyore said:
Forgot to mention, you can't reset or reconfigure a burner. If it's gone it's gone  :(
That being said, I have only ever had one go in the early 90's. The replacement I bought is still going strong (a Philips) after14 years and thousands of discs  ;D
It gets passed on from PC to PC.
Try reinstalling the update for iTunes that has just come out (you probably have it set to update without asking) and then trying to burn without using iTunes.
If it does the same thing, the burner is dud and you'll need a new one but try the other things first (it's cheaper)  ;)
I notice that the update of iTunes doesn't come with Quicktime. Could that be a problem?

Thanks for the response. I'm gonna see what I can do about downloading a new version of iTunes and if a free burner program solves the problem.

I had a similar problem a few years back with burning discs with iTunes. But then I thought it may have been an installation error. So I downloaded it again, attempted to burn a disc again, and the disc was burned with the music successfully. Try downloading it again and if it still does not work, then try to get a disc burning software from "download.cnet.com" or from another reliable source. Hope this helps  :)

The simplest way to test the burner may be to try a burn with WMP ,  its unlikely it will throw out the same errors as itunes.  (I'm assuming your not running on a Mac or linux system)

I use Imgburn and create cue files, or rather did as NAS drives and mp3 player have made CD's obsoluete in my set up.

I used Imgburn as it seemed best to use for multi format sound files.  flac, wav and ogg files oh and mp3's.

An example of how to burn with it is here......

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

pyrotech said:
The simplest way to test the burner may be to try a burn with WMP ,  its unlikely it will throw out the same errors as itunes.  (I'm assuming your not running on a Mac or linux system)

I use Imgburn and create cue files, or rather did as NAS drives and mp3 player have made CD's obsoluete in my set up.

I used Imgburn as it seemed best to use for multi format sound files.   flac, wav and ogg files oh and mp3's.

An example of how to burn with it is here......

I tried burning a CD in WMP recently and that didn't work either.

Just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who has responded. Last night I downloaded Nero and I was able to burn music that I had purchased off of iTunes onto a CD. So it would appear the burner still works.

However, I tried burning the Tomorrowland BGM loop in Nero and it failed. The CD burned 22% of the music before ejecting the CD. Usually it gets to 8-9% and ejects the CD.

So, is my burner having some problem reading the downloaded music from this site for some reason? Is there something I can do to convert the Disney music to a format that is the same as the iTunes songs? Thanks.

In a word, no. Files are files. It's also unlikely that it got corrupted during the download (it wouldn't play from the HDD then either).
If you burned several CDs OK then it is unlikely to be your burner so that's good news.
Now, are you trying to burn at too high a speed? That will cause what you describe (happened to me when I upgraded Nero as it tried to burn faster than my PC could cope with by default). Try burning that loop again at a slower speed or run the test to find what speed you can cope with. To save discs, try running simulations with Nero.
Have you reinstalled iTunes yet? I'd try that before converting anything. I think that's where the problem lies.
I'd forget the burner for now and work on the programs (especially iTunes).

eyore said:
How's it going?

I downloaded the latest version of iTunes and proceeded to burn the Tomorrowland BGM loop. No such luck. Again, it barely got started burning before it failed.

Because of the fact that burning with Nero made it up to the 20% mark before failing should I get my hopes up at all? I'll have to see if I have luck burning other Disney music using Nero.

I think you should really take a slightly different course here.
You need to get a free burner program to test the burner. You need to ensure that you get consistent burns using the burner to make sure it's not on it's way out (even new ones can go/be faulty, regardless of what I have said before and a lens cleaner may be all you need).
If you can burn half a dozen CDs without getting a coaster, you would, at least, be able to rule out the hardware.
The source files (Disney or other) are not going to be the problem. It's something within your PC and even with a failing drive you may still get occasional good results so it won't show what's wrong.
Are you quite certain you are not trying to burn at too high a speed?
Most new burners will set the burn speed as that stipulated on the Disc. They don't consider whether your PC is up to transferring the data to match. Even Nero will crash if the speed is too high regardless of the fact it has built in protection to seemingly prevent it.
What speed are you burning at?

May I suggest you burn img files instead of wasting media.  Use Nero and create an img file on your hard drive. 

Yes, good idea!
Nero should also have a function to simulate a burn (without actually using a laser). Between the two tests it should, hopefully, find out what's wrong (burning the image to file may not pick up if the laser is capable of burning at the speed selected but will pick up if there's a problem with reading the file and doing the right thing).
I occasionally get a partial burn with Nero 6 on my old PC as it insists on trying to burn at the theoretical maximum for the drive/disc rather than the PC (it's a slow PC it's on).
You may have to actually uninstall iTunes rather than just reinstall over the top of what you have. i don't know what problems that would give you though. I only use iTUnes to buy things from, not to create playlists.

The symptoms suggest an I/O bottleneck between the hard drive and the burner.  I would try reducing the burning speed, this often can remedy disc burning problems.

Also, is the PC you're using newer, older, somewhere in-between?

eyore said:
I think you should really take a slightly different course here.
You need to get a free burner program to test the burner. You need to ensure that you get consistent burns using the burner to make sure it's not on it's way out (even new ones can go/be faulty, regardless of what I have said before and a lens cleaner may be all you need).
If you can burn half a dozen CDs without getting a coaster, you would, at least, be able to rule out the hardware.
The source files (Disney or other) are not going to be the problem. It's something within your PC and even with a failing drive you may still get occasional good results so it won't show what's wrong.
Are you quite certain you are not trying to burn at too high a speed?
Most new burners will set the burn speed as that stipulated on the Disc. They don't consider whether your PC is up to transferring the data to match. Even Nero will crash if the speed is too high regardless of the fact it has built in protection to seemingly prevent it.
What speed are you burning at?

THe speed is pretty low so I don't think that is the problem. I thought Nero was a burning program. Somebody suggested it in an earlier post so thats what I downloaded. Is it not the same thing as what you are calling a free burning program.

HauntedPirate said:
The symptoms suggest an I/O bottleneck between the hard drive and the burner.  I would try reducing the burning speed, this often can remedy disc burning problems.

Also, is the PC you're using newer, older, somewhere in-between?

Its about 18 months old.

Are you using a free trial version of nero or a version you picked up somewhere or maybe Nero Kwik Burn?
I was thinking more of a basic burning software (imgburn gets good reports http://www.imgburn.com/  ).
It's a little long winded but should be fairly foolproof and should confirm if the problem lies with the hardware or software.
Instructions here:
Nero is very particular what it shares the PC with and it doesn't take much to throw it. I've downloaded a number of alternative programs in my time that have reduced Nero to being useless (and some of them quite expensive).
What OS are you using by the way? Windows 7? 32 or 64 bit and what are the specs.
Remember we are looking at several possible causes and the suggestions are to try to narrow it down for you.
Just as another thought, is there anything running in the background that could be using a lot of resources on the PC? You have done a virus scan I trust, just in case there's something nasty there.
Also think of any programs you may have installed just before it started acting like this.

Back