Any good microphones for great induction recordings?

RMDKJ

Hello!! I may be buying an induction microphone soon. But, I don't know which kind of mic I should get. Any suggestions on which one(s) to buy? Thank you!!!

Not tried but it should work well IF you can get near to a speaker. Considering how cheap they are, it's worth buying one and doing some tests. Works fine on my home TV set anyway (just tested it after reading this post).  ;D

If the TV uses a CRT, you might also get the hum from the flyback transformer.  It depends on how much sheilding the TV manufacturer decided to use.

Just shoved the mic against my HDTV speaker now (didn't do any settings or anything, just plugged the mic in, set the ZoomH2 to record and held the mic to one of the speakers (I was playing the Fantillusion parade I've just filmed and put onto DVD) and this was the raw result. Setting the gain and recording volume would probably have made it better but I didn't bother.
Have a listen.
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?6wsf0qrvjrpkyos

It works well on TV's - Thats what I tested it on when I first tried a recording before going to the parks.... Overall though, most TVs have a form of output on the back (Alot have a headphnone jack or you could use RCA -> Headphone on a laptop ...)

and some TVs have their speakers in strange inaccessible places (Hotel Disneyland DLRP - speaker is round the back and not enough room to get your arm around the TV into the cabinet)  :(

Now why didn't I think of that!  :eek:
I have some flexible garden wire (covered in green plastic) in my garden shed which would be almost invisible when holding the mic to a speaker in shrubbery when it's out of reach. Blast!
Oh well, there's always the next time.

Back