Trouble installing Quick Time

ChrisLyndon

Another user on Mousebits has said he has had an issue with Quick Time. When it is installed on his computer it messes with his ability to download MP3 files using other software. Can anyone diagnose this issue, and prescribe a solution?

Can't honestly see how quicktime would disrupt basic downloading. Which software does it conflict with. It's possible that quicktime has overwritten something shared by both programs  (Nero was often affected by this in the old days - getting shared files overwritten).
I'd suggest firstly re-installing the programs affected. That often fixes things.
Then test to see if the program now works and also checking if Quicktime still works.
If this is the case, uninstalling QT probably wouldn't work (it would leave the shared file intact).
Go from there and tell us what happens. Is it only mp3 files or are other formats affected?
Do the mp3s download but not work (ie won't play after downloading)?
Do mp3s already on the PC still play.
That would help point to where the problem lies - there's no obvious answer I can think of apart from a damaged/out of date/updated file which won't work with older software.

Here is what the person told me and I quote...

"Thanks for your response. The problem always occurs whenever I have Quicktime and ITunes installed at the same time. You see, I use ITunes, as well. When I click on an MP3 to download it, instead of bringing up a Download Dialogue box, asking if I want to Save or Open the file, it begins to play the file automatically in a separate window. "

Then just click and hold on the download link (if a one button mouse), or right-click to bring up the download option vs. opening in the browser.

Back