can down load

mike646

im trying to download "the magical music of Disneyland" but it says no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it. Could someone please help. Email me mike646@gmail.com

The torrent tracker is down again?!?!? :eek:

JonVanSickle said:
Having the same issue myself. Hard drive died so I am having to re-download everything :/
You might want this 1 TB USB 3.0 drive to backup your replacement hard drive.  *All* hard drives will fail eventually so the $70 is worth saving yourself some aggravation IMHO.
Seagate Backup Plus 1 TB USB 3.0 Portable External Hard Drive STBU1000100 (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-STBU1000100/dp/B00829THO6/

Sadly it was my backup that died. a 1.5 tb completely full. Data recovery would be nice but it seems way too pricey atm

I use the Seagate 2Tb as a backup drive although I found the software caused severe audio latency when I had it set to continual backup (possibly because it's designed for a USB3 and I only have USB2). I use the Easus free backup now. I prefer this as you can access the actual files via explorer.  My first Seagate backup drive died after two weeks (nasty clicking sound) but this one appears healthy enough. I also have most of my important files copied to other external HDDs too (plus copies of copies so if one goes, everything should be on the other).Just buy a HDD bigger that the one in the PC and copy everything over.

eyore said:
I use the Seagate 2Tb as a backup drive although I found the software caused severe audio latency when I had it set to continual backup (possibly because it's designed for a USB3 and I only have USB2). I use the Easus free backup now. I prefer this as you can access the actual files via explorer.  My first Seagate backup drive died after two weeks (nasty clicking sound) but this one appears healthy enough. I also have most of my important files copied to other external HDDs too (plus copies of copies so if one goes, everything should be on the other).Just buy a HDD bigger that the one in the PC and copy everything over.

I don't always backup my content. But when I do, I use western digital hard drives.
7mz4.jpg

eyore said:
My general rule is to never use whatever bundled software is on a device *unless* I've heard good reviews about that exact same version.  I figure if it was any good, then why did the vendor feel the need to bundle it?  Good apps sell well on their own. ;)

Up to now, I've not needed to use the backup part of it (kiss of death) but I can extract stuff from it to play/view which is really what I wanted anyway (something that would backup files on a daily basis without me having to remember which ones I had downloaded since the last save). Far more worried about actual files than software (well we lose all the software when changing PCs anyway). Today I actually took my very first PC to the tip (after removing the drives which I may be able to use another day somewhere). Sad to see it go though just lying in a skip :( I do still have my next three though  ;D

I use a 2 TB Western and it's been great. However, my ultimate backup is still the trusty old CD. I've been able to quickly restore my collection when the mighty crashes happen.

I use DVDs now as the number of CDs was getting silly  ::) I've also found flash drives or SD cards quite handy and reasonably priced for the storage of audio. That has the bonus of being able to play directly from them on various audio devices plus my car stereo. Flash drives and SD cards also take up very little room now, 64Gb cards in some cases (my new FiiO player). 8Gb and 16Gb SD cards are very cheap now and don't get scratched. Hopefully they will last as long and it's just as easy to copy the files! I notice my latest SD card is also classed as waterproof for many hours submersion in fresh or salt water.

Oh, the tracker still appears to be down :)

no reason for them to return to the thread - they got their answer in the first reply  ;)
It's getting quite rare for a new member to say "thank you" or give us an update now,

Well Ill give an update :p I am currently about halfway done re-downloading everything I lost. 2 weeks of working 8-10 hours a night to track down what I lost.

Just a thought: if you catalog your collection with freeware like Data Crow
http://www.datacrow.net/
and keep it updated (the *real* trick ;D), it'll be easier to see what you have and don't have.

I still use Advanced File Organizer but it doesn't work in Windows 7 with external drives mounted as a directory path instead of a drive letter.  I emailed the developer and haven't received a response so I assume the software is no longer actively supported or maintained.  I'm in the process of switching to Data Crow, which is written in Java so in theory I can maintain the code myself if I need to do that.

I'll give anything a try. It's getting quite a task now to track down my audio files. Betcha I won't be able to figure it out  ;)

The developer of Data Crow has been working on it since 2003 so at least he's committed to maintaining his software. ;D  Data Crow is definitely not easy to setup but that a common tradeoff.  Software that is flexible and powerful is usually also complex.  I haven't quite figured out searching in Data Crow yet and if that turns out to be too difficult, then that's a deal breaker.

EDIT: Here's a recent webpage with a short list of free file (i.e., not just audio) cataloging software:
http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/best-free-file-disk-catalog-organizer.htm

Crow has me somewhat bewildered. I ran it on my "downloads" folder (992 files) and it keeps coming up that there is something wrong with the title of the file and to fix it to continue. I've spent all evening clicking the OK button. Everything so far is in a folder called "empty" in the albums section and, for some reason, is showing a map of Disneyland as the album cover for everything. Oh well. I'll try a few more folders  ::)

Does the error message window say:
"Item cannot be saved:
Required fields have been left empty. Fill required field(s) Title for item"

I've attached a screen grab of that error message window and the "Create Multiple Items" window that generated the error when I clicked on its "Save" button.

I clicked on the "Ignore Errors" button in the error message dialog window and all the file information was saved.

One annoyance is that I can't save the directory path to an album but I can add the 'filename' column to the Music Track view which is good enough for now.

Attachments

• Data Crow 'item cannot be saved'.JPG
    Data Crow 'item cannot be saved'.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 40
Similar but there was an extra line in the box about a problem found. I was actually getting the items listed (so hadn't got to a "save" option). The other odd thing is that every item listed has the map of Disneyland as the album cover and the track listing for a Boston Pops Christmas album as the rear - whether Disney related or not. I also cannot find the button/option for running through another folder either - only to add as individual files. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually but it's really hard at the moment.

Are you using Tools -> Music Album File Import to look through a directory (and its subdirectories if the "Recursive" checkbox is enabled) for 'items' to import?  That tool has a tab labeled "Local Art" and it has a checkbox to enable/disable using any artwork found in the directories.

EDIT: If Data Crow is driving you mad, try ScanFS instead:
http://saleensoftware.com/ScanFS
It's very small (the installer is only 5.82 MB) and it runs very quickly.  The ScanFS GUI has its quirks but I think they're OK since it's a free program after all. ;D

Keep getting box saying to select a file. I'm giving up and just using the Explorer search facility to find my audio.

Okey-doke but Explorer won't find files that are offline and I know you have plenty of offline storage, just like I do ;D.  That's why I got cataloging software so I could easily search for files in my archives.

I've tried several freeware catalog programs and none of them had all the features that I'm looking for.  So I've decided to try a paid software app, WinCatalog.  My previous catalog apps were also paid apps so once again, you get what you pay for. ;D
http://www.wincatalog.com/
The trial version lets you catalog 10 disks/devices and the full version is $20.

Apart from the oddness of the fact it catalogued around 100 files before I got fed up and turned it off and all shared the same map of the park and rear cover of the same Boston Pops album (!), it did list them fine. I suppose that the files need to be both on the database and/or have all the details on the tags for it to work. I'll uninstall th eprogram and then try it again on some smaller folders (there are several thousand - over  1Tb in the folder I attempted and lots of them have been ripped from vinyl etc with no detaile added to tags etc. Probably gave it a breakdown  ;D.

I've been using WinCatalog 2014 for about a week now and I'm pretty happy with it.  It has a good search function, you can have multiple search tabs open (very handy for cross-referencing files) and it extracts metadata & properties from media files.  The $19.95 price was a holiday price and now the price is the regular $49.95.  The trial version allows you to catalog 10 disks so I can get by on that until the next sale. ;)

Back