Video - ripping dvds and then uprezing/upscaling

kkocka

Question for you video guys: I'm looking to rip some dvds so that I can create some original artwork from screengrabs. However, a ripped dvd is at 720x480 and that's pretty low rez even when ripping at highest quality. Does anybody around here rip dvds and use upscaling software to boost the resolution and fake higher quality? I'm really having a rough time trying to find a useable solution, otherwise the source will be just too shitty for me to even attempt to use. :(

You can have a go, but usually you need a good high end system good at number crunching to interpolate otherwise you'll just be enlarging what you have.

kkocka said:
I'm looking to rip some dvds so that I can create some original artwork from screengrabs. However, a ripped dvd is at 720x480 and that's pretty low rez even when ripping at highest quality.

Why do you need to upscale the whole rip?
You say you want to create original artwork from screengrabs can't you just "upscale" the screen grab?

When you say "screengrab" I assume you actually mean frame grab??

Some1 said:
Why do you need to upscale the whole rip?
You say you want to create original artwork from screengrabs can't you just "upscale" the screengrab?

Photoshop doesn't uprez or fake as well as a video that's been upscaled. Think of a bluray player upscaling a dvd - looks pretty good, and your source image is then crisper to rotoscope, rather than a blurry SD image that is untraceable and trying to crisp it in photoshop. Always better to work with a source that is high as possible rather than the reverse.

EDIT: My best hope might be to try trial software. I've read about Apple's Compressor, so we'll see.

Back