Microphone help

DarMar106

it not torrent related but I thought it fit here. See I\'m having trouble with recording stuff with my mic. Fo one the volume is too low and it only comes out in one ear, can anybody help. I can send a sample if need be

Levels are too low, and most mics are not stereo.

You haven\'t provided enough informaiton to provide much help, all I can suggest is look for a way to adjust the level of the mic, it\'s probably on the recording device if you have one.

Can\'t do much about the mono sound, you can purchase a stereo mic if you really need stereo sound, or convert the file to a mono sound track.

DarMar106 said:
but its the exact same mic as my friend form the MouseTimes pcast uses

and...

I\'m not trying to be mean, really... What we\'re telling you is, most microphones are mono. Stereo has a left and a right channel, so when it\'s played back, you can hear sound out of the left and right speaker. A microphone normally has one pickup. So, if you are recording in stereo, that would get placed on either the left or right track and thus only be played back through the left or right speaker.

You might be better off asking your friend at MouseTimes pcast he would probably be more familiar with the microphone you are using since he uses the same one.

Are you using any type of adapter to hook it to the camcorder? All pins might not be connecting.

There are little bands that separate the L and R channels on a stereo connector.

I\'m nt sure we\'re actually talking about a camcorder.

To my knowledge, most camcorders only have a mono plug for an external mic. Some do have stereo, but since most microphones are mono, why bother with a stereo plug.

Plugging a mono mic into a stereo plug will most likely put the microphone audio on only one track. UNLESS you switch the recording device to only record in mono.

There\'s a lot that could be wrong here, the microphone, the recording device, the settings on the recording device, any adapters, etc.

all camcorders (also cheap ones) I know have stereo mic imputs .. if they have stereo onboard why only provide mono?

I would guess that those that allow voice overs would only want to output the audio dub to one channel, so you still get the background noise.

Maybe economics. I would guess that stereo plug might cost two cents, but the mono plug only costs a cent.

Tons of reasons...

ALL my recordings this summer were done on a stereo recording device (stereo plug) with a mono microphone. Until I edited them to only use the left channel I beleive, audio only came out of one speaker, as it should, since the audio from the mic was only recorded on the left channel. The right channel only contained idle noise from the electronics.

Back