BETAMAX to the computer

jmg4194

I downloaded the ducking desaster video last night, and I loved it. I have that and about a million other cartoons and disney sunday night movies from the 80\'s on betamax videotape. Is there a way I can somehow transfer those onto my computer so that I may possibly upload them in the future?

Do you still have a functioning BetaMax player? It should be simple to hook that up to a capture device.

If you don\'t, it\'s rather costly to have videotape transferred to DVD or such. It may be cheaper to buy a BetaMax player, but I don\'t know.

i have a functioning betamax player. i actually just brought it from my house in kentucky to my apartment here in ny. what device wouldi need to get?

Ahh... Betamax. Those were the days!

You`ll need an analogue capture card, if you don`t already have one - look either on the PCs front or back for video input sockets (it may be a round yellow plug hole) and audio in (red and black) - if not you`ll have to either fit one (very cheap now) or get an external one that plugs into a USB port (still cheap) - there are quite a few on the market.

See what outputs your Betamax has; it`ll hopefully at least have a similar yellow socket as an output, and hopefully one or 2 audio outs. It`s been a few decades since I`ve seen a Beta player, but I doubt it`ll have a Scart or S Video outputs.

If you have to buy a card / USB device, don`t worry about paying more for one with software unless you are not running XP.

Let us know the connections and your Op System and we`ll take it from there.

marni1971 said:
Ahh... Betamax. Those were the days!

You`ll need an analogue capture card, if you don`t already have one - look either on the PCs front or back for video input sockets (it may be a round yellow plug hole) and audio in (red and black) - if not you`ll have to either fit one (very cheap now) or get an external one that plugs into a USB port (still cheap) - there are quite a few on the market.

See what outputs your Betamax has; it`ll hopefully at least have a similar yellow socket as an output, and hopefully one or 2 audio outs. It`s been a few decades since I`ve seen a Beta player, but I doubt it`ll have a Scart or S Video outputs.

If you have to buy a card / USB device, don`t worry about paying more for one with software unless you are not running XP.

Let us know the connections and your Op System and we`ll take it from there.

i would recomend pinnacle moviebox. mine has a dv input, composite and s-video and can connect via firewire or usb depending on the version that is how i capture. as for the bet the last time they were produced was in 94 beta is a better quality picture. i have the SL-HF2000 but that does not have s-video BUT but the SL-HD2100 does. that and the SL-Hf1000. infact this is the model i have.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-SL-HF2000-...ryZ39830QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

marni1971 said:
as for the bet the last time they were produced was in 94 beta is a better quality picture.

The primary design objective of the VHS cassette was to circumvent BetaMax\'s design patents, and then went on to succeed because they charged far lower lisencing fees than Sony did for BetaMax. However, BetaMax is even mathematically a far better format, sporting DVD-quality resolution (where VHS is about 1/4 that resolution)

Back