Serious Question

Sage_of_Time

Ok.... Here it goes:

Is this music illegal to download since it IS Disney's music? I'm just asking because I heard people could get fines up to $20,000 per song. I'm not trying to discourage use, just making sure i won't get in trouble. An explaining, convincing answer, more than a yes or no would be nice before i start downloading. Like why it wouldn't be if it's copyrighted. Thanks SOO Much!!!

~Sage_of_Time:-/-_-:-/-_-

It is perfectly legal. It is against site rules to upload anything that is commercially available to buy. Anything that is out of circulation like say Horizons source audio is perfectly legal to share. Stuff like Remember When from RDCT at DL, etc. will not be available to download here.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I'm sure one of the other members could clarify if needed.

CaesarBoxFan said:
It is perfectly legal. It is against site rules to upload anything that is commercially available to buy. Anything that is out of circulation like say Horizons source audio is perfectly legal to share. Stuff like Remember When from RDCT at DL, etc. will not be available to download here.

Don't know if that makes sense, but I'm sure one of the other members could clarify if needed.

This is incorrect. I don't want to mislead you: much of the stuff on here is copyrighted material and, as such, is protected under the appropriate law. Whether you can buy it or not makes only a little difference in the degree of violation.

The "no commercially available media" is simply a restriction I impose under my own moral obligation. Stealing stuff you can buy goes way past "fanhood"m but do not confuse this as the difference between legal and illegal.

Note that copyright law is enforced in civil court, not criminal court. That is to say that it is up to Disney to go after people. They have no precedence of going after people for this stuff, despite much larger and more questionable operations existing. I compare to sharing of feature films, entire sitcom series, etc.

But also know that a lot of the stuff, like the fan-made tribute videos (my favorite stuff!) is generally not copyrighted, unless the authors make exessive use of copyrighted music or video clips. Note that under "fair use" 10% of any such content can be sampled. Shows such as the Daily Show exist because of this right. Also, handycam videos of the rides aren't legally protected under copyright law, but if you turned around and tried to sell the video then Disney would have a case against you. Technically the person who filmed it owns rights to the video, but if he or she tried to make a profit from it then things change - hence I say "no one".

So, to sum it up - even tracks that aren't commercially available are protected under copyright law. However, don't expect Disney to go after you for downloading them as long as you don't amass a collection worthy of being famous for.

Back