Capturing and encoding video

TheBeets

Administrator
Staff member
So, basically, I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to encoding to xvid & divx. Let me know of a better way to do it, and I'll add it here.

This is a starter guide, advanced options are not explained here.

Install Huffyuv codec. Download the pre-built DLL zip file from the site, unzip, right click on huffyuv.inf and click install.

Install Virtual VCR.

Settings:
Video
* Frame Size 720 x 480
* Colour Format: YUY2
* Frame Rate: 29.970
* Use Compression: Huffyuv v2.1.1
Audio
* Resolution: 16
* Frequency: 48 kHz
* Channels: Stereo
AV Sync
* Resample Audio: Resample audio dynamically

Using the lossless codec, it takes about 1 gig per minute at this resolution.

From here you might want to cut out parts of the video, that may be covered later.

This next step is for Xvid encoding:
Install AutoGK
* Open the video file
* Custom size (Set it to 10 megs per minute. If it is in between, round up)
Advanced settings:
* Fixed width: 640
* VBR MP3, kbps: 128
Add job and start

more soon... if you have a quick guide for encoding to other formats then PM me and let me know

Is this for capturing from a camcorder or a live video feed? If it\'s a live video feed, what capturing hardware are you assuming is available for use?

This is for recording from TV or VHS to the PC, it isn\'t really complete yet.

I think Virtual VCR only works with newer cards, I\'ll have to add that in later.

Find a driftent codek a GIG a minnuet is like uncompressed HD witch is stuped plus if you are working with 720 x 480 it is over kill i dont use xvid alot but your capture device Might not have a lower setting.

I think the point is to get the highest possible quality for the "master" for both sound and vision here. Mousebits prides itself on the high quality it offers. It's up to us non-tech guys (and gals)  to reconvert to poorer formats if the file sizes are too big. This works well because the resulting video is still good quality. Not all of us have HD stuff but (I think) it's important to get the highest possible quality for an original recording.
Maybe I just don't know enough about it though.

Back