Question about Post-Production

Braden95

I met a friend who's a professional audio engineer on my commitment for a Production shooting a commercial last August of 2022.

What is a Post-Production? like Audio/Music/SFX/Voices/etc, also playing with these elements like Mixing/Mastering/Editing from any Disney/Universal Movies, Theme Park Resort Destinations, etc.

Who do I contact regarding this topic from Disney/Universal/MouseBits, or what software program will I use like the audio engineer, I tried Cubase Pro 12 but it's too expensive, what are the other options?

I work with Cubase mainly for creating music (as do many other musicians, film composers, etc.). I'm not sure about Disney or Universal, but i guess they use ProTools a lot for mixing elements like music, voices, sfx for their theme parks. Of course both programs cost some amount of money, but as a professional you usually have to invest in this area to be able to EARN money :)

If you live in the US maybe you could look if Disney or Universal offer internships in their sound departments. This likely won't give you access to sound files from their parks (and even if it would you weren't allowed to take the files home and use them for your personal projects - you can get fired quickly if you try!) but may help you learn more about the work of sound professionals.

I understand that, I would like to give Pro Tools a Try, and maybe make my own audios, like Music through VST's like from my Kontakt or Komplete Kontrol Players, make SFX's and voices too but on my own.

And I don't want to work as an internship for sound engineering.

Thanks for letting me know.

Braden Lucier

Braden, you could also look into applying at a sound engineering school.  I know in Los Angeles, there are some 12-month programs you can take.  It can be expensive, but you can get a student loan.  I had a friend who went through a program; most offer job placement.

Part of the training should include post-production.  My friend was given a German car commercial and asked to redo all the sound.

My friend had no trouble finding work through placement, but most studios are going to pay very little for someone new to the program + your first year or two is really just menial studio work.  I'm willing to bet Disney plays the same way.  Even if you get in, I doubt they'll give you anything major right off the bat.

Good luck on your journey. 

Braden, there is a software suite called "Reaper" that is free and does amazing things. Youre supposed to be a student to use the free version, but the full version is only 60.00 or so, and it's packed with features. Its a multitrack recording system that would be very similar to someof the others. Pro Tools is the top dog, but very expensive and super complicated. Cubase is a workhorse but Ive never used it, Reaper has always been the easiest and best as far as I've used. It can use VST's and oher effects and you can mix and automate many different things when you "post" your recordings. (Edit after theyre recorded)
Its cockos reaper....google that, see if thats what youre looking for. Good luck!

That sounds wonderful guys, but unfortunately, I only live in another country, Canada. But I was also wondering if there are any sound engineering schools virtually for Post-Production like from Disney or Universal?

I will be planning to apply to an audio engineering school in January of 2023 for Open Studies. Now, Open Studies is kind of like volunteering at a place without pay days, but in Open Studies I don't get a certificate, diploma, or degree, I just learn and attend the program.

It would be very hard for me to go to the USA like in Florida and California because I am a Canadian Citizen and it costs money. so I might take a Virtual course from Disney and Universal if they have any.

But Thank You for the best wishes and the offer for the Post-Production software suite.

I think the closest you're ever going to get to a Disney-sponsored class is the Imagineering in a Box series. 

https://www.khanacademy.org/humanities/hass-storytelling/imagineering-in-a-box

Under Lesson One is a 7-minute overview on Sound in attractions.

As for education, all of the audio people I know in the theme park and entertainment business have years of experience before they even walk in the door of a major company like Disney.  Competition is fierce for these precious few jobs, and Disney & Universal want only the best of the best.  All of these individuals had to go to school to learn how to do this - its not cheap or easy but they had to have the knowledge to get a foot in the door.  Here in Orlando, we have Full Sail, which I understand is expensive but gives you the education you need to get started in this business.  In other words, if you are serious about wanting to do this as a career, you're going to have to put the time and effort (and money) into it.

Back