Azureus Encryption?

kirky

What do folks think about the Azureus encryption? I just noticed that I seem to only be seeding to those using Azureus, I can\'t help but think it\'s the encryption I have enabled.

Thoughts?

there are exceptions under encryption, make sure that 2/3 of them are checked, one of them will only share with those using the same encryption to you.

Interesting. I have to check on that now. Where are the exceptions for encryption located in the interface? I always though I was sharing with everyone, not just those using the Azureus client.

why encryption ? ... are we sharing something illegal ?

and evn if we did .. as long as the files are pieced together on the other side .. the transfer encrytion is more than questionable -_-

THe encryption is a global setting. It\'s more to avoid packet shaping than hiding content really.

Most BitTorrent clients offer security options along these lines:

- Allow the use of encryption as required
- Exclusively accept peer downloads only from those who will encrypt it
- Exclusively provide peer uploads only to those who will accept encryption

The purpose of encryption is indeed to avoid Packet Shaping (also known as Traffic Shaping), of which a description follows:

ISPs (Internet Service Providers) can and often will detect network activity that has been previously identified as detrimental to the overall reliable operation of their network. ISPs generally hate BitTorrent activity because it\'s a bandwidth burden they want to avoid (even though you\'re paying for it). Thus, enter Traffic Shaping. If BitTorrent activity is detected, a computer somewhere will heavily throttle the data ports being utilized to slow down bandwidth use drastically. Remember that such schemes are looking for signature data that can be associated with BitTorrent and not usually overall bandwidth use. Thus, if the data is encrypted then the ISP doesn\'t have a means to detect BitTorrent activity, and their efforts are thwarted. Ha!

So, some people are forced to use encryption methods. If you don\'t have a problem with this, you have little need to use encryption.

ahh ok .. I got it ... funny thing some isp provide chaches for p2p users to save bandwidth .. thats how isp deal with these different :D

Back