ASP, SCC, DLF

SeaCastle

I was exploring the inner reaches of the Disneyland Forever Project, when I came across some ASP files. What are they and how do I open them? They were in a wwwroot folder.

Thanks in advance for any help.

asp stands for active server pages

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Server_Pages

a programming language for dynamic websites, I guess those are parts of the visual recreation of the kiosks

They run on the server and get translated (by the server) to html so you can view them in your browser. I found this:

"Firefox doesn't view ASP files. Neither does IE. Web browsers are clients,
not servers, and ASP stands for Active Server Pages. In other words, they
run on the web server, and which translates them into (X)HTML, which then
gets sent to a browser. ASP is a microsoft thing, and not all that great
either; PHP is a more popular equivalent that's popular on both Linux/Unix
and Windows too".

So you have to have some sort of server stuff to do it (no idea what I am talking about, just googled it out of interest following your post  ;D )
Hope it makes some sense to you  ::)

They will not work out of the box.  I was working on converting them, but RL came about and I've put that on a back burner, along with a bunch of other things.  To be honest, if you don't know what ASP pages are, the chances of getting this working are pretty much slim to nil.  I do it everyday for a living, and some of the things they are doing I'm finding it hard to convert.

So far, I've got most of the interface working however and a "shopping cart" of songs, but the playback, etc is not working and I'mnot sure if there's a way to get it going.  We still don't have the database of songs that originally sat on the machines, which would be VERY helpful, but those never got released.  Maybe in the future, but in the mean time, someone will probably need to load the database by hand.

You can get a degree in Computer Science, learn ASP (you'll probably need to do this on your own since it a legacy language at this point) and probably .NET.  Take a few classes in SQL while your at it, the databases will need some rework as well.

You don't convert them (like audio and video), you reprogram them.

If you want more info, check out the DLF thread where we discussed a bit about the problems and limited success in getting this running.  http://www.mousebits.com/smf/index.php?topic=1989.0

I never really looked into it but am a computer science major and when I looked at the DLF files I figured I could probably get something up running but didn't cuz i thought some people on here were trying to... is that something people would be interested in still and have the other people given up?

the project contains pretty much all the files needed to recreate all the kiosk system in php .. with a little redesign one could make a personal webradio of it (cause burning a cd isn't really an option)

I haven't given up, but it's a low priority.  I can send you the files I have edited to get them working.  A big part of this is the missing database files.  I created a mock database of a few files to get the shopping cart going.

I'm not so sure about PHP, this is ASP, very different language it would need a major rewrite, not a little redesign.

Some of the problems I have encountered:

1.  They have relied on "bugs" in older versions of IE (It is a web application and ran in some sort of web browser that appears to be IE based).  Since those "bugs" no longer exist, I needed to recreate much of the graphics.  If I remember correctly, it was highlighting of the buttons clicked that was a "problem".  Not a shop stopper, but it should at least look like it's working the same way.
2.  The databases.  Really this is huge, since many of the pages rely on display of the songs availablefrom the master database.  It includes the labels to put on the button, lands they are available in, and the "preview path" which I am going to guess is a seperate file to "sample" the audio.  I haven't gotten into the actual writing of the CD (or playlist creation or whatever), but that could be problematic as well.  There are two databases right now, content and tempsongs, I think another was used for purchasing, etc.  Filling the content database with all the song info will be tedious at best, especially considering that everyone stores their piles someplace different.
3.  Disney used some proprietary utilities that I haven't figured out.  For example,
     mci://PlayNow ...
     mci://PlayVideo ...

I understand what they are doing, but finding the utilities that were used to do that has proven impossible for me.  Play video is pretty important to the project if you want to keep it as close to original as possible.  PlayNow can probably be done using a number of utilities or plugins.

That's all I remember right now.  I'd be more than happy to zip up the files I've worked on so far is someone wants to seriously attempt to do some work.

Here's a pic of progress so far, yes, I can select songs and put them into a shopping cart.

I'm not so sure about PHP, this is ASP, very different language it would need a major rewrite, not a little redesign.

I have never seen a forever kiosk in action, but is there a need to recreate all it's details ? with "a little redisign" I meant just recreating the look and feel, no need for a management in the background that controls the status of the kiosks and burning machines

I think that's what C33 was trying to do.  Recreate it in Flash I believe was his thought on it.  I was trying to get it working in more of a nostalgic sense.  But, I don't think that getting a CD burnt is going to happen, at least I wasn't going to go that far.

I'm going to guess at this point, it would be much easier to get it working in Flash, plus you would be more platform independent.  Right now, with an ASP implementation, you're looking to have to put this on a web server and if we go the route of trying tto implement it with the original style utilities, then you're probably looking at a Microsoft based machine.

Back