.AVI files on mac without sound?

kevlightyear

I recently downloaded the recent 2006 WDW Top 7 as well as the Doug Live video. I\'m on a mac, and the way I thought I had to view them was to run them through Divx Doctor to create a .mov. For some reason, I get errors with these two files doing this. I went looking for another option, and found a Divx player. It looks to be a better option, but both of those videos play without sound. I thought that maybe Divx Doctor corrupted them somehow, but I downloaded Top 7 again, and it still plays without sound (I\'m re-downloading Doug Live as we speak). Is this a problem on my end? Thanks guys!

I thought I did, atleast. I recently had to get a new hard drive, and consequently reinstall the OS, and everything is not as it was. Through some research I see there is a problem with Quicktime playing AVI files with mp3 audio tracks. That still doesn\'t explain why DivX Doctor was giving me an invalid track error, and why the DivX created app \"DivX Player\" wouldn\'t play it. Go figure.

Anyway, Skull, you are my savior. VLC works fantastically! Thank you so much!

A lot of codecs in avi files never really made it into Mac OS X quicktime for some reason. We\'d just gotten to the point in OS 9 where we could play almost anything and then no one made updates to a few of them so you either get a white screen or video without audio.

But as was mentioned, VLC to the rescue! It\'ll play anything for you except.. indeo video(unless you\'re on an intel mac), and wmv3(have to use media player or flipmac in quicktime)

Back