Filming in the Presence of Infrared Security Cameras

WDITrent

Hello, everyone. Just had a quick question. If I were to film in a dark Disney attraction, would infrared security cameras pose a problem with lens flare? Would a UV filter correct the problem? Thanks.

In DLRP, the IR just show up as small points of light but I've never picked up what you could call flare (ie enough to ruin a shot). I think they may be directional. I've picked them up most in POTC but, as I say, they just look like fairy lights on a Christmas tree (these are the IR sensors).
If you shot directly into them, I daresay you may get a greater effect.
I've also picked up my own IR light in HM - again no problems. Mine's not a state-of-the-art camcorder though so maybe they don't affect it much.
I've shot most of the standard dark rides over the years and had nothing worse than an occasional flicker of light.
I suppose it also depends on how particular you are, of course.
I've never noticed anything high-power showing up from the actual security lights at all.
Maybe just lucky  :D 

I'm guessing you are thinking of using a night-shot type camera for the dark scenes.  Then, yes, you will see the IR light emitters used by Disney on your footage.  If you filter it out, wouldn't you filter out what you are trying to film as well?

Sorry, forgot to mention. My above remarks were all about filming with night vision (Sony nightshot) and only at DLRP (I don't know what sort of security lights they use but I know they do use them - I've watched it on their monitors).  ;)
I compare the flare to a low-wattage light bulb filmed in the distance - not a spotlight. Difficult for me to tell which are the actual ride lights and which are security etc lights. I usually find the real lights are worse when filled with nightshot myself.
Does that count as flare? I've always thought flare was like when the sun gets in the side of the shot etc and wipes out a chunk of the picture.
Yes, filtering out IR would mean you filter out your own IR beam as well and the reflection back you are trying to film.

If you're just filming low light, and your camera is capable of good low light performance, you shouldn't see the IR lights.  I'm not sure of the technology and if any of the good low light cameras actually use IR to boost their ight perormance or if they are really just that sensitive.  That's a question for someone else.

Kirky makes a really good point there.
Depends on your camera.
I have one that fills in with IR in poor light conditions automatically (no choice) to boost the picture (still in colour), I have another that doesn't. You have to select it  ::)
So it depends whether your camera uses IR at all. If  it does, it will pick up the IR lights as a light source (how much will depend on how strong the IR lights are).
If you are NOT using an IR source at all from your camera, (just relying on the light grasp of the camera), the IR will be invisible as it won't be able to "see" it.
What's your camera? Always happy up Google up things to find out specs for a  more positive answer.  :)

It's the Canon Vixia HG21. It does pretty well under low light, especially for a camera of its nature. When you ratchet the exposure up, it gets pretty good results.

CCD and CMOS chips vary in how sensitive they are to IR light. Generally they do tend to be more sensitive than the human eye, and thus you see the lights more on video than `live`. Dosn`t matter if you use IR, nightshot or anything. Incidentally, using IR can look like you are using a video light to CMs watching CCTV - their CCTV cameras pick up your IR light as much - if not more than - you see theres. Best to avoid it if you don`t want the soundtrack ruined by a PA shout.

There is no real way to filter IR out easily for the consumer. UV filters are at the opposite end of the spectrum so won`t make any difference.

I have a IR filter works like a charm..no more IR spots on the shots  ;)

heliopan video 103

Just to confirm (and adding to what little knowledge I have on the subject), I take it we are talking cameras NOT using an IR night shot here but relying on their low light (unassisted) capabilities.
The IR filter would filter out the IR beam used for the nightshot as suggested. Is that  correct?
Brilliant idea using the remote as a test. Never thought of that  :D

yes the irfilter filters out beams of ir light from cctv cameras and possible other guest night shot lights  :)

Back