issues with a DVD

I'm not sure what the protocal for something like this is but I'm having a problem with two DVDs I burned & I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with my download or perhaps when it burned & I was going to add the question at the end of the items description in torrents but the last comment on this was from 2007 as it's older & I'm not sure if anyone would even see it there.  So....

On both of the WDW 25th Ann. Vol. 1 & 2 DVDs I have sections that are so messed up they won't play.  I don't mean just for a minute or so but unwatchable. It's like they are freezing up. On the vol. 2 episode "Witching You Were Here" it actually comes to a point it stops & then jumps to the next show on the DVD.  I stopped it & went back to the show I had problems with & FF up to the point it messed up & let it keep going & there is more show but when I stop it to watch it freezes up again & does the same thing, jumps to the next show on the DVD.  I see nothing in the comments re: this so does anyone know if something like this could be an issue where my download is screwy or where the burn process messed up?  ON the Vol. 1 disc I do see one comment regarding a section where the show I'm having problems with messes up but it seems the poster means only momentarily, on mine it is so bad you can't finish watching that program. 

Lastly, if this is not how I should handle a question such as this, someone just let me know : )
Thanks!

I just watched all of "Witching You Were Here" (at 8x speed :D) and it played to the end without any problems.  Do you have another DVD player you can use to play that burned DVD to see if the problem still occurs?

It was an ISO file floridafan.

I do have another dvd player I can try pixelated, I hadn't thought of that.  When vol. 1 messed up I thought it was just a problem with the original recording but then when vol. 2 did almost the exact same thing but worse I thought it might be something else. I will try it in another player & post what happens.
Thanks guys :)

pixelated said:
I just watched all of "Witching You Were Here" (at 8x speed :D) and it played to the end without any problems.  Do you have another DVD player you can use to play that burned DVD to see if the problem still occurs?

Btw, not sure if this matters, but when I went back to it the second time after it screwed up & jumped to the next show I was watching it at 8x speed & then slowed down to 4x when I got close to where it happened.  It was moving forward fine until I stopped it & then it froze up & did the same thing (it was at the spot where it shows the 'new' Boardwalk resort).

Download isobuster and select the free option on installation.
That will tell you if there's a problem reading your particular DVD and if there are any unreadable sections.
There's many things that can cause this including bad media, muck or fingerprints on the blank  when it was burned, faults with the burner. the list  goes on.
As said, try a different DVD player plus your PC and see what happens. You could also try reburning to an RW as well as an R (you can always reformat it) just in case there was some damage (a different make of disc would be best).
If this happens to me, I also clean the lens in the player.
Does it always happen at the same point?

Cheap DVDs?  Burned too fast?  99% of the time (taking human error out of the equation) that's the problem.

I finally tried it on a different DVD player & it made it a little further but then did the freeze frame thing.  It didn't automatically jump to the next show like it did on the other player.  The disc is pretty scratchy tho.  They've been stored on a shelf & not in a case.  Since no one else is having this problem I'm betting that it's due to the condition of the DVDs I burned them on. 
I haven't tried the isobuster, do you have a trusted website I can download it from?  I'm not thinking it's the burner as it's fairly new & I burn CDs all the time & have no problems.

Thanks again for your advice, I really appreciate it!!

The laser used to burn DVDs used to be a different laser than burned the CDs.  I've had a drive stop burning CDs but DVDs burned fine.

There are many problems with cheap media...  I use Taiyo Yuden media only, and I burn it at 4x.  I've got an old Pioneer A108 drive that's still ticking and a couple of brand new LG drie, all of them only burn at 4x (my choice not theirs).  Since I'e switched to Taiyo Yuden discs, I'e only had one bad disk (out of maybe 500).  I've gotten Memorex, Sony, and other crap media as "payment" for disks I've burned for others and they go right in the trash.  I won't use them for stuff I want to work in the future.

Scratches though, that's another issue.  You may be able to fix that (I've waxed the bottom of disks to try to help, etc).  But I would see about transferring those over to something that would work. 

I'm unfamiliar with those disks, not sure where you can pick them up.  Something markmad99 posted a long time ago maybe?

One other point and often overlooked is the state of the blank before being burned.
Fingerprints and muck on the blank before  the burn will cause a faulty burn that can't be corrected (unlike fingerprints and muck added after the burn which can be cleaned off).
Also be careful  of allowing the burner to burn at the rate IT thinks best  (mine insists on trying to burn at a very high rate - my PC/burner can only cope with 4X). Even if it completes the burn, the resulting DVD can be unwatchable. Also look for slight marks on the top of the DVD (where the maker's name is). That's the recording surface and a pinhole in that means the DVD is ruined. Easy to do if you don't put them in cases or store them well (a tiny but of grit can wreak havoc).
One of the reasons I always keep all the torrents on a couple of external HDDs. I've had to reburn a few times due to a tiny nail sticking out of the wooden tray I keep some of my discs in  :-[
I seem to have good results (up to now) with Verbatim.
Isobuster should be able to extract what there is on the disc and replace any damaged sections with a series of 00000s. You lose what's damaged but salvage the rest. Certainly use it before attempting a repair (like polishing with jeweler's rouge or  mild metal polish - not for the faint hearted).  Personally, I'd just get  some new discs and reburn and see what happens.

My discs were pretty scratched up PRIOR to the burn. So I'm hoping that is what the trouble is.  I have meant to buy some new ones when I'm out but keep forgetting.  These that I used didn't come in individual cases (most probably don't) & they've layed around & been shuffled here & there & apparently aquired quite a few scuffs.

As far as the download speed  you mentioned eyore, how do I go about changing that on my computer?  Does it pop up & give me the option before it starts burning?

There should be some option in your burning program to alter the speed (most take the speed from the capabilities of the disc itself, not the PC). I use Nero myself and the speed is on the final page.
What program are you using (or, if it's built in to the PC, what OS)?

A scratched disc BEFORE burning can result in the laser being deflected and corrupting the disc if it's bad enough so you end up with a coaster (been there, done that). Marks etc affect it much more when burning than reading and can't be fixed. Discs for burning should be spotless (and that includes fingerprints) so wipe them before you put them in (been there and done that as well).
As the power of lasersb can vary, some may get away with it while others won't. It takes a igh power laser to burn through a nice buttery fingerprint (mine didn't).
When I first started burning CDs and DVDs, I lost more than I made so I'm talking practical experience here  :-[
haven't had a dud in quote a while now - oh-oh, kiss of death  ::)

LOL eyore!  Sounds like you do know from trial & error which is basically what I'm going through now so thank goodness for you fine folks.  I have a few more blank dvds downstairs but I'm not expecting the condition of them to be any better so I'm not even going to try to reburn those shows until I get out & get some new ones. At least now I know to keep them somewhere safe ;D

I have no idea where the program came from, perhaps when we bought the new cd/dvd burner but when I opened the iso file nero automatically popped up. Or maybe it was when I put the blank dvd in.  Anyway, I use Nero I suppose, lol.  It seemed easy enough so I'll stick with it.  For future reference, you think I should lower or raise the burn speed?

A lot depends on your PC plus what else you are doing on it. I don't have an ultra-fast PC and I use XP but I have heard many people say that anything over 4X is risky.
Anything over that speed for me tends to end up in a coaster or, of I'm lucky, it stops before it even starts burning . It'll burn CDs at 48 but DVDs at 4Xmax. I haven't bothered trying anything faster - what's the point. Slow and steady and get 100% results is fine with me.
Nero should be able to test for a maximum speed but I'm happy at 4X.

Back