I can't surf to Mousebits.com on my main computer.

stitchintime

??? At first, I panicked, thinking that something terrible went down and Mousebits went bye bye.  I checked various Disney sites, WDWmagic, MartinsVids, and did a few searches and noticed NOBODY was talking about it happening, so I knew something must have been up on my side.

Thank goodness I can access the site through my laptop.

Now I'm computer savvy enough to know to try other browsers (I use Chrome.  Tried Firefox and IE - nothing), checked my AVGFree Shield, checked MalwareBytes - I've tried to look to free the DNS cache, but I can only clear browsing data.

Does anybody have any clue what else I might check? 

(I like downloading from my main computer more, but if I need to do it, I can go to the laptop.)

I have the odd server glitch when I can't get through but are you still having problems?
I seem to remember a similar thread here not that long ago and several possible causes and fixes.
Have you looked at that?

Also... as a handy little note, to clear the DNS as you were mentioning (this works on a PC, I don't know how to do it on a Mac) do the following...

Open a command prompt (Start > run > cmd) and type

ipconfig /flushdns <enter>

that'll take care of it.

Nothing - just a blank white screen. And I'm using Safari on the two Macs and iPad, Firefox on the Windows machine.

BTW, I just tried it on the Windows machine using Explorer, and that gives me an HTTP 500 Internal Server Error

I'm confused is the machine a Mac or PC?

Try pinging the ip: 200.35.146.10 (mousebits.com)

If it doesn't ping it then do a tracert on on both machines and see which avenue the working one and non-working one are taking.

I suspect it's the machine and not the network connections.

That's just it - its all my machines!  My Windows machine at the office, my Macs and iPad at home!  Four different machines, two different networks - that's why I'm wondering if it is on the Mousebits end?

Results of the ping from my Mac laptop:

Ping has started ...

PING mousebits.com (200.35.146.10): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=0 ttl=48 time=131.854 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=1 ttl=48 time=130.866 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=2 ttl=48 time=133.001 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=3 ttl=48 time=279.703 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=4 ttl=48 time=325.373 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=5 ttl=48 time=343.872 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=6 ttl=48 time=345.463 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=7 ttl=48 time=330.465 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=8 ttl=48 time=331.267 ms
64 bytes from 200.35.146.10: icmp_seq=9 ttl=48 time=371.353 ms

--- mousebits.com ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 130.866/272.322/371.353/94.420 ms

Silly question but what PC are you using to post to the thread Ximagineer?
Is it only Mousebits you have problems connecting to?

As there's an office pc involved, I'm presuming that you've not added anything program-wise to them that could be causing a problem (an update or similar) or run the same thing on all three (like a CD with a virus on it).
You could try this for the Windows PC and see if it helps
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-dont-some-websites-display-correctly-in-Internet-Explorer-8

It may just be a temporary local server problem but the ping results suggests it's not Mousebits as far as I know.
That 500 error was discussed a little while ago. have you tried the suggestions there?
http://www.mousebits.com/smf/index.php?topic=5717.0

There seems to be a lot of problems on Google. Try white screen websites or blank screen websites and see if anything rings a bell.

Quite by accident, I discovered I could do the forums just fine from all of my computers - its the other stuff that eludes me!  Weird, eh?  Never had anything remotely like this happen before!

I'll keep playing with it - if anyone has other suggestions, I'm open!

Well, it appears you can connect with Mousebits fine and if the forums are working then the simplemachines SMF rendered pages are fine (see below at the Powered by SMF 1.1.11 http://www.simplemachines.org/ part for details on how it's different that the main page). I haven't really looked into it with much detail on how the main page is "framing" the forums but it is either working as a master page or a frames page (I'll look into this closer when I have a bit more time). So, here's my thinking, for some reason the pages rendered by xbtit 2.1.0 (see the [  xbtit 2.1.0 By: Btiteam ] http://www.btiteam.org/ link below for more details on this) are not presenting themselves correctly. I went to their site and it appears that I cannot access it so test and see if you can reach it then maybe send them a memo asking for some reasons their pages may not render correctly for you. Usually, this is due to some setting on your computer or browser or because some program it uses isn't installed. Since I couldn't view their site I'm not entirely sure of all the components they use to render a page so I couldn't really get a start on investigating this but I will if I can pull it up sometime soon. One thing you can also try is opening Mousebits.com in Internet Explorer and, assuming it doesn't open, goto the Tools menu then choose Internet Options then click on the

Advanced tab and un-check the boxes that say:
Disable script debugging (Internet Explorer)
Disable script debugging (Other)

and check the box that says:
Display a notification about every script error

If there is a script error of any sort an error should present itself when you refresh the page. Keep me posted.

Stitchintime, have you cleared all your cookies PLUS all offline stuff as well?
The computer will keep pictures etc in the Temp Internet folders and, when revisiting a site, use the ones in the folders to make up the screen to save time. If something didn't load last time, it may be using the same corrupted information to reload the screen.
Empty the temp Internet folders as well and that may fix it.

;D
That, at least, does prove that it's something hidden away in the caches that is causing the problem (as incognito mode doesn't cache stuff or keep any records - as such).
Somewhere, deep in the PC, there's a corrupted page lurking in a hidden cache.
It can be very difficult to flush everything and force a reload of all the pages rather than using a cache. Been there and done that for reasons quite similar to your own (pages not loading correctly).
Never mind, at least we now know what the problem was/is.
Do make sure you scan for virus and malware though - just in case.

Yeah, I full scanned it with Malwarebytes and with AVG and nothing is showing up.

I'll just incognito it for now.  ;)  ;D  Maybe I'll try to see if I can find something to fully clean the cache. 

Thanks anyway for the guidance! 

Out of curiosity, what OS are you using for Windows (I know nothing about Macs)?
I enjoy Googling for stuff so maybe I can find a "hidden" cache and let you know where it is.
On XP, I found that IE and Firefox sometimes need things doing for each one rather than "one action fits all" as they can store in different locations to each other.

I'm using Firefox on a Mac. I can't log into the site but I can log into the forum (clearly). I needed to clear my cookies in order to clear the 'autologin' so that I could see the page at all. When I try to log into the site is when the process breaks.

I get an error when it fails: 'Content coding error. The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because it uses an invalid or unsupported form of compression.'

Does this help narrow the problem down at all or should I continue looking for a hidden cache as already suggested?

Just wanted to jump in (for the first time ever), I have the same problem with Firefox/Windows (blank page but browser reports done), but IE8 loads the page fine.  This problem just started.  :-\

Turns out it is a malformed cookie.  In Firefox go to Tools->Options->Privacy->Show Cookies and delete all of the mousebits cookies.  Reload the page and login.  This resolved the issue for me.  ;D

I've deleted all my cookies a few times and that's not it for me. After I flush the cookies and reload Mousebits, I get a mousebits cookie and a 'doubleclick.net' cookie. Dunno if that's normal or not.

I have a pretty ancient version of Internet Exploder and am able to sign on with that, however the site defaults to Romanian and won't let me change it to English. Interesting...

hombredesilla said:
I have a pretty ancient version of Internet Exploder and am able to sign on with that, however the site defaults to Romanian and won't let me change it to English. Interesting...

"Don't pull on the language settings...., I will change them for you"  ;D

(WDW does have a strange effect on me I guess)

Cheers,
Dajatje

hombredesilla said:
Ha! Love it!

Firefox updated this morning and now I can log in just fine. With no Romanian language! :)

My previous message was a bit strange, but I actually changed the language setting in your account settings. Nothing to do with the new firefox.

Back