DIVX Video in Quicktime

ohmychurro

I can't get DIVX videos to play in Quicktime. I downloaded some codecs to try to get it to work they don't seem to be working. Whenever I try to open the video, I get an error saying that the file cannot be recognized by Quicktime. (photo of error attached). Please help! :)

Attachments

• error.jpg
    error.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 7
I just tried playing Martin's Enchanted Tiki Room UNM HD video, which is encoded with DivX 5, in Quicktime Player 7.6.9 and I got the same error.  I have the DivX 6.8.5 codec installed and I can successfully play the video in Window Media Player 11.

After checking the various solutions available on the Internet, it seems the assumption is if you're using the Quicktime Player, you're running Mac OS X.  Quicktime Player on Windows seems to be "undersupported" for formats other than.... Quicktime :(.

I can't either play them either  ;D
The apple Divx page says for windows and Mac BUT the support sections say Mac only!
I'm running Windows 7 and QT pro and still get the same error as you.
QT is said to play Divx in the versions after 6 but I don't believe it.
Windows 7 has native support for Divx but wouldn't play so, like you, I downloaded the stuff from the Divx site and still nothing.
I've not found a solution anywhere on the web - only "use VLC player".
I've actually given up on QT and only use it for things like 360 degree panoramas.

VLC Player plays virtually any type of video file. It is great. I use it to watch all my Mousebits videos. Totally free to download it.

I like the user interface in the free GOM Player better than the VLC player but there are some videos that GOM won't play.  Then it's back to VLC for those particular files.  And every now and then it's the reverse situation; a video won't play in VLC but will play in GOM.  Having options is a Good Thing ;D.

Go on line - Find "VLC Player" and upload that. It will load within minutes, is totally free, and will play everything. I have never come across a file that it won't play. It will save you a lot of grief if you do. Nothing will have to b e converted.

ChrisLyndon said:
Go on line - Find "VLC Player" and upload that. It will load within minutes, is totally free, and will play everything. I have never come across a file that it won't play. It will save you a lot of grief if you do. Nothing will have to b e converted.
But then it wouldn't be able to be played on an Apple TV/iPod..

pixelated said:
Are you looking for a DivX to iPod converter?
I guess. I want the videos to be able to be played on an Apple TV and an iPod. :)

ok - well if all you want to do is be able to watch it on your computer VLC is the way, otherwise. I have no idea. I have a great player but it is made by Sony, and although it allows one to upload videos, I never have tried that feature. I use it strictly for my MP3 files.

Evoulie said:
ChrisLyndon said:
But then it wouldn't be able to be played on an Apple TV/iPod..

pixelated said:
Are you looking for a DivX to iPod converter?
I guess. I want the videos to be able to be played on an Apple TV and an iPod. :)
If you're willing to spend $30:

Cucusoft iPod Movie/Video Converter (Apple TV Supported)
http://www.cucusoft.com/ipod-movie-video-converter.aspx

Digital Media Converter
http://www.deskshare.com/media-converter.aspx

Evoulie said:
Evoulie said:
I downloaded VLC and noticed that it has a convert option, so I'm trying that right now. :)
That didn't work.. I also found out that Quicktime won't play an mp4 file either..

Hmmm, that's odd, my Quicktime Player will play .mp4 video files from Dolbyman and Darthvader92.

pixelated said:
Evoulie said:
Evoulie said:
I downloaded VLC and noticed that it has a convert option, so I'm trying that right now. :)
That didn't work.. I also found out that Quicktime won't play an mp4 file either..

Hmmm, that's odd, my Quicktime Player will play .mp4 video files from Dolbyman and Darthvader92.
Hmmmm... I just played a different .mp4 file and it worked so it must have just been that one file.. Right now I'm trying MPEG Streamclip to convert the divx file.

Looking again at the Apple pages, I think that it's just badly worded and the "win or Mac" option refers to the codec, not the OS (ie either codec will work on a Mac system). I'm thinking that .divx isn't playable on QT on a PC, only on a Mac.
Most of the threads seem to assume that the apple page refers to OS but I don't think it does.
I renamed a divx file to mp4 and that didn't work although both extensions played on VLC player.
I think you are right to convert the file to something that will play on your TV. Retain the original for PC use (to keep the quality).
Always handy to have the following on your PC.
Gspot and MedaiTab.
You can, at least, find the exact codecs used rather than just what the extension says the container (divx, mp4, avi etc) is.
http://mediatab.co.cc/descargar.php
http://www.headbands.com/gspot/
At least you can look for a specific codec rather than a general one.
Fortunately, the only apples (apart from QT) I have are in the fruit bowl.  :D

Back