Mixing/editing large audio tracks

nexus200

I want to make my own version of the MSEP using the DCA source audio and TDLs Dreamlights and basically cut out some parts from TDLs Dreamlights and mix in some of the MSEP floats. For example repalce the TDL Cinderella audio with the MSEP version, Add in Dumbo and Pinocchio, add in the America Finale after "Its A Small World". Also replace the Dreamlights intro narration with the MSEP narration and add in the underliner before the Blue Fairy.  Which is already the case with the original Dreamlights Show Mix as it plays the underliner before the Blue Fairy speaks. However, I like the sound of the most recent Dreamlights track but it jumps right into the Blue Fairy speaking after the intro :-\

Well first off I am not that experienced at doing audio editing. The software I use is AVS Audio Editor. The issue I am having is since the MSEP/DCA is all one track and TDLs Dreamlights is one huge track, What is happening is when I try to edit the tracks it looses sound quality very badly. My thinking is due to the tracks being so large? In addition it is extremely difficult to cut out and paste the parts that I want, and to make it mix in well without sounding horrible...

Any advice?

Its been recommended on here on several occasiond before , try the free audio processor  software Audacity.  With the large file,  cut into smaller files at natural breaks.  number them sequentially and then rebuild.  Though Audacity can handle quite big files, can your processor? 

pyrotech said:
Its been recommended on here on several occasiond before , try the free audio processor  software Audacity.  With the large file,  cut into smaller files at natural breaks.  number them sequentially and then rebuild.  Though Audacity can handle quite big files, can your processor?  

Hmm I have briefly tried Audacity before but if it does work better for large files then I will definitely give it a try. I know it is not going to be easy breaking up the files/tracks, especially MSEP. Each float fades into the next :-\ At least that is the case with the track I have... I also have a very difficult time blending and avoiding bleeps or blurps when cuting and pasting.  
One thing I have yet to get right is removing the Dreamlights intro narration and replacing it with the MSEP narration... Dear god that is hard to do! I know others have made edits, etc. On youtube someone posted the intro with the MSEP narration But they left out the most important part which is the full Wwweerow in the very beginning. I wanted to use the latest Dreamlights track as I like how the opening Wwwweerow has a better sound than on the original Dreamlights track or the MSEP/DCA track.

slightly off-topic but what do you mean 'the most recent dreamlights' track? The one from the big 12-orwhatever cd set they put out for the 25th anniversary?

and in other news i have a mix of dreamlights' cd tracks in the DEP order with the DCA created tracks mixed in appropriately that I never finished.. I don't quite want to post it publicly because of it not being finished but I'll send it to you and see if it's what you're trying to accomplish.

I still need to swap the intro and add the ending, and tweak some audio level and stereo space issues. I probably want to add some SFX too like casey jr's toot toots just cuz =P Since the Dreamlights CD and DEP Rehearsal Tracks are quite different, you're really better off using purely rehearsal tracks for consistency but the CD tracks sound good so that's why I was drawn to make something with them anyways.. =P

TheWorm said:
slightly off-topic but what do you mean 'the most recent dreamlights' track? The one from the big 12-orwhatever cd set they put out for the 25th anniversary?

Yes that is the one, but actually the 2011 version is coming out shortly so I guess it is best to wait for that as it will have the newer floats.

Awesome you started a mix though! We must be thinking alike  :)

in reference to your PM.. mine wasn't a mix of the 2 parades. It was simply a recreation of DCA's electrical parade using the tracks available from Dreamlights where available. Both ways have been done to some extent on youtube mixes but not to my liking anyways.

Cockos REAPER runs on Windows and Mac OS X (http://www.reaper.fm/index.php).  It's not as fancy as Adobe Audition but it does everything I want for a fraction of the price of Audition.
REAPER is digital audio workstation software: a complete multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment.

•Record audio and MIDI from multiple inputs simultaneously
•Layer recorded tracks and takes over previous recordings
•Edit recordings in almost any imaginable way
•Hundreds of audio and MIDI processing effects included, or choose from thousands of third-party effects
•All editing and effects are completely non-destructive
A personal use license costs $60 but the purchase of a license is not rigorously enforced ;), similar to the older versions of WinZip where  there was a nag screen but you could evaluate the software forever.

Back