AC3 audio burning

eyore

Quick question.
I have a DivX avi video with ac3 audio. I decided it would be nice to have it on a DVD but Nero can't seem to read the AC3 audio (so you get a silent movie)  :-\ The file is not a protected file and plays fine with VLC.
Plays fine on the PC (I have the ac3 codec). Saved on a flashdrive as data it won't play on the TV or DVD or Wii player either.
Apart from re-encoding the thing into different formats, any simple ideas (really not worth following some of the instructions on the web which would take hours - they suggest separating the video and audio and then converting and re-combining them using various software).
Never come across this before. Normally just load into Nero and burn. I'd like to watch it with the family on the DVD player.
I'm sure I'm going to come up against this again with some of the  files from here when I get around to getting them on DVD.
Thanks.

not tried super but I have tried  that (or similar) on other converters (decent ones). Also tried keeping the DIVX but converting the audio to mp3 (it seems Martin uses that format) and a few alternatives but no sound on the converted file. Not come across this before.
The original file plays fine on VLC.
Media tab gives AVC H264 as the video codec and AC3 as the audio (codec ID 2000) 2 channel stereo.
Nero is supposed to work with AC3 audio  ???
Plays in WMP and VLC but not in Nero. Copied as Data to CD/DVD and flash stick, my 3 DVD players (plays DIVX files) and my TV (plays avi files fine) can't do anything with them. Wii couldn't see the DVD file at all.
Managed to find the Super download link so I'm giving it a go overnight  ::)
I'll let you know what happens..................

Edit.
I used super with the settings suggested - still no sound on the converted file!
Trying using mp3 audio now and Xvid. The file plays fine in Super but the converted file had no sound. No combination seems to keep the sound so I'm giving up on this one!

As a warning, the latest version of Super is packed with stuff you don't want (toolbars and the like) which you cannot opt out of installing even if you uncheck the boxes. It's going to take a while to get rid of these off my PC  as they have totally hijacked stuff in Firefox - strange search bars, new tabs opening links to ad sites etc. I've uninstalled it now.

Huh!  That's weird.  Are there any videos on MouseBits that are encoded with H.264 and AC3 that I can use as a test case?

I found another free app (if you're willing to have another go at it ;D):
AVStoDVD
https://sites.google.com/site/avstodvdmain/home
AVStoDVD is a flexible tool to convert various media formats to DVD compliant streams and burn them into a highly compatible multiple tracks DVD.

Features:
Video and Audio editing using AviSynth.
Video encoding using QuEnc/HCenc/ReJig/FFmpeg.
Audio encoding using QuEnc/FFmpeg/Aften/Wavi. Multiple Audio tracks supported.
Subtitles encoding using SubtitlesCreator. Multiple subtitles tracks supported.
DVD Authoring using MuxMan/BatchMux.
ISO Image Building and DVD Burning using ImgBurn.
Internal DVD Menu Editor with customizable static and motion menus.

I think that this is a rip from a DVD  :-\ Looking around it seems they have re-issued the TV series so I'll be buying it. That, however, still leaves the conundrum re why it won't burn as a DVD so I'll probably keep trying (hate not knowing)
Can't find anything I have had from here that uses that combination.Tried playing the downloaded file on the following:
HP Mediasmart - invalid video
DIVX Plus player - Doesn't play but can be scrolled through the video using scroll bar.
QT - additional software required and a link to the Divx site.
Nero Vision - unrecognised file format
WMP - video without audio
VLC plays it perfectly!
Does AC3 play from a standard DVD or does it need to be burned on a Bluray disc? The bitrate is 48000 which I "think" is OK for DVD.
Here's media tab's report

Attachments

• aud.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4
  • vid.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 4
eyore, SUPER can re-encode the audio without touching the video stream. If you want to give it another go:

• Select AVI as the output container.
  • Select the "Stream Copy" option in the video area.
  • For the audio, select WAV as the output audio codec, and then stereo, 48 kHz, 2-channel in the audio area.

You should end up with a new video/audio file with the only difference (compared to the original) being the audio stream. You could try dropping that into Nero to burn as a video DVD. The WAV audio shouldn't be a problem at all.

Let me know if you any questions or run into problems.

;D Thank you, worked fine (and quickly). Obviously Nero doesn't like working with AC3 audio!

Nero 10.
As an added extra, the data file doesn't register on my DVD players (tried on 3 of them) although they are supposed to play Divx files. Not to be outdone, converting in the way suggested (leave video the same, encode audio as Wav) works fine for making a DVD but not leaving as data files. I used Super to redo the entire file as Xvid and mp3. This plays on the DVD players now as data files from flash drive, CD and DVD (data). I'm a happy bunny.  ;D

SUPER's a great and versatile program, if you can get past the other crap it installs along the way!!

Yes. I tried it ages ago but PC wasn't up to spec so I bought Ultra mp4 video converter (wasn't that expensive and has lifetime updates) but I've installed it now and quite impressed (although a little complicated for the likes of me) but the rubbish that came with it - and unchecking the box didn't seem to help PLUS I think there's a second page to scroll through (how many of us check the agreements anyway, although we should). Took me hours to get all the cr*p off the PC plus fiddling with the about:config page in Firefox.
Thanks again for the help. A real puzzle this one as to why so many different players didn't understand the AC3 audio.

eyore said:
Nero 10.
As an added extra, the data file doesn't register on my DVD players (tried on 3 of them) although they are supposed to play Divx files. Not to be outdone, converting in the way suggested (leave video the same, encode audio as Wav) works fine for making a DVD but not leaving as data files. I used Super to redo the entire file as Xvid and mp3. This plays on the DVD players now as data files from flash drive, CD and DVD (data). I'm a happy bunny.  ;D
Ah, so you got Nero Burning ROM before it became Nero Multimedia Suite. 8)  I used to use Adaptec/Roxio Easy CD Creator but then it got progressively more expensive and bloated. :(  I stopped buying newer versions and switched to creating CDs and DVDs with freeware and burning them with imgburn.

When you say "data files", do you mean separate files as a opposed to an entire "normal" audio CD or video DVD that you pop into a consumer player?

Also, MediaInfo said the original AVI was encoded with H.264 instead of DivX, yes?  That may explain why the AVI wouldn't playback in DivX-compatible devices.

thx99 said:
SUPER's a great and versatile program, if you can get past the other crap it installs along the way!!
I installed an older version of SUPER a few months on my Windows XP machine and it didn't install any extra junk.  I guess I either:
1) never update to a newer version
2) install the new version to my XP virtual machine sandbox so I can see what additional nonsense does get installed so I can figure out how to uninstall it without messing up my actual XP machine
3) install it to the sandbox and copy only the parts I need to run SUPER from the sandbox to the real machine
4) just stick to using the command line versions of the programs that SUPER uses

No, Nero 10 is the full suite. I used the Nero Vision 10 for the burning (I used Nero 6 for many ears but it wouldn't work with Win7 64 bit). In the 18 months I've had it, this is the first one that has failed to burn properly.
Yes, "data" refers to what was downloaded "as is". I often do that to save space so this was burned as the AVI file rather than converted to DVD. My players play avi files.  I have suddenly realised that Nero automatic update was disabled (so it's never updated itself since I installed it) . There's a plethora of updates to install! Maybe that will fix it  :-[

eyore said:
No, Nero 10 is the full suite. I used the Nero Vision 10 for the burning (I used Nero 6 for many ears but it wouldn't work with Win7 64 bit). In the 18 months I've had it, this is the first one that has failed to burn properly.
Did you install Nero Multimedia Suite 10 or Nero Multimedia Suite 10 Platinum HD?

The multimedia suite (full paid for, not OEM). Nero supports h264 from 2004 for all versions (so they say).
Nero burns all the HD stuff on here fine to basic DVDs but I don't see any version after h263. Maybe h264 is bluray only so, burning to DVD doesn't "see" it.? Preview on Nero doesn't play the sound from the file either (window before you actually press burn) so the problem seems to lie with Nero itself.

Back