Site down?

papamouse

I didn't see this topic hope I am not reposting.

The past 2-3 days I noticed my torrents not downloading. When I check the site, it won't load.  When the site is up and running, the torrents work.  This happens for most of the day, the sight/torrents will be down.

What's going on? 

not sure but there does seem to have been a problem recently and, as you point out, if the site is down, the tracker will be too. Technical problems I suppose. There's been nothing official as to the cause.

eyore said:
not sure but there does seem to have been a problem recently and, as you point out, if the site is down, the tracker will be too. Technical problems I suppose. There's been nothing official as to the cause.

Ok. Well, glad it's just tech problems and not Uncle Sam.

When the site is down, the physical server is still ping-able and traceroute shows a clear path to the server, although sometimes one of the gateways to the ISP does exceed the timeout limit.

pixelated said:
When the site is down, the physical server is still ping-able and traceroute shows a clear path to the server

also, part of the page text will load ( but not display ). Makes me think that the back end database server is down.

Same here... I just joined the site and picked up a handful of torrents to download through Vuze... nothing.  Was wondering the same thing because I am currently downloading a couple of things from piratebay that are coming through

maybe due for a bit of serious maintenance. Pinged OK so guess it's more domestic. Everything wears out eventually.
In the UK we'd say to keep a shilling handy for the meter (electric and gas meters were coin-operated in the old days and took shillings - 5p in the new money so families always kept one silver shilling on the mantelpiece in case it ran out).

Torrents are fixed. I apologize for the disruption. We will also be moving to a new server machine in order to shed this hardware which has become unstable.

SirLamer said:
Torrents are fixed. I apologize for the disruption. We will also be moving to a new server machine in order to shed this hardware which has become unstable.

Thanks for all your hard work :)

Indeed, and thanks for the information. We get worried when we don't know what's happening.  ;)

SirLamer said:

Torents still not working properly. But I guess it will take till after the move to be 100% again?

possibly but what problems are you having with them?
I seem to be seeding fine so the tracker is working. If it's the "connection was refused" message, the tracker may be still having occasional problems but generally it seems OK

The seeds may not be online. If nobody is sharing at the moment (or maybe just not sharing those files), it will show 0
We do sometimes move our files around or remove them from our client (impossible to share everything we have at one time).
If there are no seeds, it should show up in the "seeds wanted" section at the bottom of the index page. Have you looked to see if they are there?
If your list includes 50 years a retrospective, One Man's dream (gallery only), Dream Along with Mickey and a couple of others, nobody is sharing at the moment as they are showing in the Seeds wanted section.
There isn't a problem with the site at the moment so it's not that. It's downloading fine.
If it's not those torrents, please list two or three you are having problems with and maybe we could make more suggestions.

No active torrents are shown for papamouse.  The tracker statistics have some lag but assuming papamouse still has the µTorrent client running, the tracker isn't seeing the client requests.

EDIT: As a test, I'm trying to seed the "Disney Cruise Disney Wishes (Fantasy May 2013) mp4" torrent but my µTorrent client is not connecting to the MouseBits tracker.  I enabled all the Error and Verbose Logging flags in the µTorrent Logger tab and it's awfully quiet. :(  I would normally see an insane flood of messages.  The µTorrent forums are down right now so I have to find troubleshooting hints somewhere else.

I've been seeding mousebits torrents fine for the past few days (and people have been downloading at a reasonable speed).
How very odd.
Mind you also no history, no active torrents either. I presume the client may not be running at the moment.

It IS down at the moment though. Papamouse, when you click on the tracker tab, what does the status say?

eyore said:
The seeds may not be online. If nobody is sharing at the moment (or maybe just not sharing those files), it will show 0
We do sometimes move our files around or remove them from our client (impossible to share everything we have at one time).
If there are no seeds, it should show up in the "seeds wanted" section at the bottom of the index page. Have you looked to see if they are there?
If your list includes 50 years a retrospective, One Man's dream (gallery only), Dream Along with Mickey and a couple of others, nobody is sharing at the moment as they are showing in the Seeds wanted section.
There isn't a problem with the site at the moment so it's not that. It's downloading fine.
If it's not those torrents, please list two or three you are having problems with and maybe we could make more suggestions.

So over 150 seeds just drop all at the same time? everyone logs off at the same time? Highly unlikely.

The files I am trying to download are files I had before and saved to a DVD to save space on my computer, but the DVD got scratched, so I am now re downloading them to save on a flash drive.

They are:
Spaceship Earth 2007 - Martins Ultimate Tribute
Test Track 2 - Martins Ultimate Tribute
Star Tours HD - Martins Ultimate Tribute
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror WDW HD - Martins Ultimate Tribute

As I said before. They were all downloading fine then all of a sudden, nothing. As if someone flipped a switch.

P.S.  Last night I just downloaded 3 movies not from this site.  They all downloaded just fine.

pixelated said:
No active torrents are shown for papamouse.  The tracker statistics have some lag but assuming papamouse still has the µTorrent client running, the tracker isn't seeing the client requests.

EDIT: As a test, I'm trying to seed the "Disney Cruise Disney Wishes (Fantasy May 2013) mp4" torrent but my µTorrent client is not connecting to the MouseBits tracker.  I enabled all the Error and Verbose Logging flags in the µTorrent Logger tab and it's awfully quiet. :(  I would normally see an insane flood of messages.  The µTorrent forums are down right now so I have to find troubleshooting hints somewhere else.

Not sure how you are checking if I have active downloads or not.  But my torrent program does not use this name.

as a member, anyone can see your basic details and stats. The stats include active downloads. If you are downloading anything, it should show up in there. Go to the members tab on the index page, type in your name in the search box, click on the result and scroll down. You'll see Active downloads, uploads and history.

Just a thought. Have you downloaded the torrent file again or are you using the ones you had originally and kept (the small .torrent files you double click to start)? The tracker files were changed slightly a couple of years ago so older ones no longer work. If they are old ones, redownload fresh ones.

eyore said:
Just a thought. Have you downloaded the torrent file again or are you using the ones you had originally and kept (the small .torrent files you double click to start)? The tracker files were changed slightly a couple of years ago so older ones no longer work. If they are old ones, redownload fresh ones.

papamouse said:
As I said before. They were all downloading fine then all of a sudden, nothing. As if someone flipped a switch.
Since the files were downloading, the .torrent files had to be working, i.e., they contained the new download URLs.  Sure sounds like the torrent tracker crashed.

I was wondering if that was files in general or those specific ones ;)

The last few time I have tried, the tracker has been down but I'm confused as to why they don't show up in the active torrents section though. I've checked other members who are online and they are showing active torrents. Checked papamouse (also online) and it's blank ???

eyore said:
as a member, anyone can see your basic details and stats. The stats include active downloads. If you are downloading anything, it should show up in there. Go to the members tab on the index page, type in your name in the search box, click on the result and scroll down. You'll see Active downloads, uploads and history.

Yes I re downloaded the torrent files. I don't keep them after I am done.

eyore said:
I was wondering if that was files in general or those specific ones ;)

The last few time I have tried, the tracker has been down but I'm confused as to why they don't show up in the active torrents section though. I've checked other members who are online and they are showing active torrents. Checked papamouse (also online) and it's blank ???

I don't leave my torrent program running when I go to bed, or if I am not downloading anything. But I will leave it open and trying to download these files for the next 24 hrs so you can check whatever you are checking.

BTW here is what I see.

Ignore the ad at the top saying "Your system may not support this file."

U-torrent_zps430422df.png

That's the important tab. It will probably say something like "no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" = tracker down (which we know about).

I notice that it shows nothing downloaded for that one. That's why I asked if they had started downloading and then went off or if they hadn't downloaded anything.
The tracker is still down you know so that's really the likely cause. May just have to wait for the new server to be set up.

eyore said:
That's the important tab. It will probably say something like "no connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it" = tracker down (which we know about).

I notice that it shows nothing downloaded for that one. That's why I asked if they had started downloading and then went off or if they hadn't downloaded anything.
The tracker is still down you know so that's really the likely cause. May just have to wait for the new server to be set up.

Yes they had started downloading when it stopped. In fact they were like 95% done.

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  eyore and I were referring to the "Trackers" tab in your µTorrent client.  I've attached your screen grab of your µTorrent client with the Trackers tab highlighted inside a green box.

Attachments

• U-torrent_Trackers_hilite.png
    331.5 KB · Views: 46
But why does papamouses screen say zero B completed? Surely it should still show 95%?

BTW, my trackers tab doesn't appear to have that extra information either, just the same details shown in papamouse's - three standard trackers and the mousebits tracker. Is yours the premium version pixelated?

It's OK - I got mixed up as when you reply it changes the order of posts to most recent first - Doh.

Note that papamouse's screen shows nothing downloaded so, the original active downloading file has been deleted/overwritten.

I think re-downloading the torrent file and clicking it cancels the previous download and it starts from scratch. Whether it's still there and just been removed from the downloads I'm not sure.

I know I accidentally re-downloaded a file I was already downloading and I had to do it all over again. I think the part file gets renamed but remains in the uTorrent file where the temp files are kept (it's while ago now). I couldn't work out how to get it back into the active downloads. It's fine reloading a completed file but not a partial file it seems.
I think that's what's happened here.
It's a case of "start again" when the tracker comes back up.

eyore said:
It's OK - I got mixed up as when you reply it changes the order of posts to most recent first - Doh.

Note that papamouse's screen shows nothing downloaded so, the original active downloading file has been deleted/overwritten.

I think re-downloading the torrent file and clicking it cancels the previous download and it starts from scratch. Whether it's still there and just been removed from the downloads I'm not sure.

I know I accidentally re-downloaded a file I was already downloading and I had to do it all over again. I think the part file gets renamed but remains in the uTorrent file where the temp files are kept (it's while ago now). I couldn't work out how to get it back into the active downloads. It's fine reloading a completed file but not a partial file it seems.
I think that's what's happened here.
It's a case of "start again" when the tracker comes back up.

If I am in the middle of a download and I shut down Utorrent. when I start back it runs "checking" and finds what it has already done and then picks up from there.  The 95% is still siting on my computer in the same place it was.

This has never happened before form this site or any other that I get torrents from.

As mentioned, the tracker is down so nobody will be able to download anything until it's back up and running.
Hopefully it's connected  with the change of server Marni mentions on the index page under "news".
I'm sure they will let us know if anything goes badly wrong.

In that case papamouse, it is the tracker being down that has caused your problem and it should resume downloading when it's back up.
I think we were looking for some problem at your end rather than the obvious.
Tracker is still down.

eyore said:
In that case papamouse, it is the tracker being down that has caused your problem and it should resume downloading when it's back up.
I think we were looking for some problem at your end rather than the obvious.
Tracker is still down.

Any guess when it will be back up?

Because of the hardware issues we currently face, the site is restarting every now and then. Although the site returns, the tracker won't start automatically.

Working on it and plans are to move to new hardware soon. Please bear with us on this.

From the Shout Box:
04/03/2014 16:47:23 | dakotafrost:
I keep getting an error message saying that the target machine is actively refusing my connection for torrents.
My µTorrent client is also not connecting to the MouseBits tracker.  I think the tracker is down.

Back