Resort TV

dolbyman

Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks

as I will stay in a Disney hotel for 3 days I\'d like to capture some of the resort tv loops on my laptop.

anyone knows if the hotel tv\'s use simple coax antenna calbles so I can plug in my usb2 tv capture card ? -_-

I\'m not quite sure but I think they do. As far as I remember they are fixed somehow so that you can\'t plug them out of the tv set - but I think it differs from hotel to hotel. Just know for sure that they don\'t have any cinch in/out connections.

Why don\'t you just call the hotel and ask? :lol:

However, I hope that you\'ll be able to capture the loops!

When I was last there (Dec 2004) All-Star Sports, Music and Movies had coax antenna cables which where very easy to unscrew and attach to a vcr, pvr or computer.:)

I have stayed in a few places that set off an alarm at the front desk if you disconnect the cable.
I am not sure if any of the Disney properties do this or not.

Just a thought of something you might want to check out to be safe. :)

hmm ... hard decision .. I can\'t just walk to the front desk and ask if an alarm is triggred when the the cable is removed ... :blush:

I wonder how the resort tv caps were made then -_-

I just give it a try .. and when a french police squad enters my room to take the pay tv movie pirate down .. I can (hopefully) explain it O:-

Many of the loops you see circulating came from DVC properties. A lot of them had in room VCRs provided for the guests.
A few people (mostly ones that drove) took better quality hi-fi 4 head VCRs and hooked them up to replace the cheap VCRs.
I am one of those who took a $500 Super VHS VCR with time base correction. :)

Of course, these days, hooking up a DV camcorder would be a lot easier because you would have good DV footage to work with.

I\'ll chime in...

THe DVC resorts definitely have COAX to the TVs and bringing a standard wrench should provide enough to disconnect it. Alarms I\'m not sure of however.

Some of the resorts have TVs with headphone jacks, some do not.

Video captures are on my list, however audio is more my thing. I\'m not sure if I\'ll be able to do any video next trip, if I do, I\'ll let you know...

markmad999 said:
Of course, these days, hooking up a DV camcorder would be a lot easier because you would have good DV footage to work with.
But wouldn\'t you still need a VCR or some such thing to serve as a tuner? You couldn\'t just unscrew the coax from the back of the TV and plug it into your camcorder, right? (ignoring the conversion from coax to RCA jacks)

Jarvis said:
markmad999 said:
But wouldn\'t you still need a VCR or some such thing to serve as a tuner? You couldn\'t just unscrew the coax from the back of the TV and plug it into your camcorder, right? (ignoring the conversion from coax to RCA jacks)

Yes, you would have to be able to get the modulated signal to the DV device some way.
I was basically just saying that DV would be the best option for recording without losing quality.
I hooked into the RCA jacks on the back of the room\'s VCR to my Digital8 Camcorder on one trip. There are probably many options.

markmad999 said:
I hooked into the RCA jacks on the back of the room\'s VCR to my Digital8 Camcorder on one trip. There are probably many options.
Man, which resort was that? I\'ve never found a WDW TV where I could connect the camcorder directly to a TV output--and since I don\'t bring a VCR, that usually means I\'m out of luck.

I did find such a TV at TDR, though. :)

The DVC properties used to have VCRs. Old Key West was the one I did the capture at. I\'ve been told they have eliminated most of the VCRs and put DVD players in some of the DVC properties.

The Fort Wilderness Cabins just had video players with no tuner, so they wouldn\'t work.

Dolbyman. If you get the chance, would you also be able to capture the Company Clips channel? It changes once a month and I haven\'t seen it for a while and I for some reason get the biggest kick out of it! :lol: No big at all if you can\'t, especially because you will be on vacation anyway!!!!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!

dolbyman said:
Hi folks

as I will stay in a Disney hotel for 3 days I\'d like to capture some of the resort tv loops on my laptop.

anyone knows if the hotel tv\'s use simple coax antenna calbles so I can plug in my usb2 tv capture card ? -_-

I don\'t know if you are allowed to without getting ejected from the property

the tv had no video cable jacks anyway .. so i recorded the audio ony (with mic pickup) it came out pretty good .. I have to upload it someday .. :)

gbakerab said:
When I was last there (Dec 2004) All-Star Sports, Music and Movies had coax antenna cables which where very easy to unscrew and attach to a vcr, pvr or computer.:)
I have had a Replay TV PVR with me on three trips and stayed at all three All-Stars. I unscrewed the co-ax from the back of the TV\'s and hooked it onto the input of the PVR and ran the return co-ax cable back to the TV. I had the PVR program listings set to the nearest cable company to Lake Buena Vista (Lake Buena Vista wasn\'t listed)I ran the telephone cable from the PVR to the input on the telephone as this PVR calls every night for updates on the TV listings and time. I left the PVR on the top of the dresser where the maid could see it. I got a telephone call charge on my bill (75cents?) for each phone call the PVR made. I used the PVR to record regular programs which I normally watch at home (If your wondering I saved the programs and watched them at home later, too much to do at WDW to watch TV). And yes I recorded every resort TV channel including the All-Stars menu channel on the highest quality setting.
No one said anything, no alarms went off, the maid even cleaned around it. The only precaution I took was too put a shield in front of it to block it from being seen through the window as I didn\'t want someone to break into the room and steal it. There was also an input on the TV\'s that I could connect my digital camera and look at the pictures I took that day on the TV screen.

Is there any way that you could encode and post these videos? I would be happy to upload them here for you if you want to share them.

I love Resort TV, and I\'m always looking for new versions!!! :thumbsup:

nelsonj3 said:
Is there any way that you could encode and post these videos? I would be happy to upload them here for you if you want to share them.

I love Resort TV, and I\'m always looking for new versions!!! :thumbsup:
I am looking at doing that right now. It probably will take awhile as the replay recordings are not a standard mpeg and the audio tends to not stay in sync. Most of the recordings are on an older replay which doesn\'t network so getting a good quality transfer might be a problem. But I\'ll get them eventually.

Back