home burned cds not playing

eyore

I've burned some Christmas DKRO music to CD (tried and trusted makes and always reliable) but they won't play on either of he 2 CD players on my PC (incluing the one that burned it) and foobar 2000 says playback stopped. The files are mp3 and burned using Nero (I've done this hundreds of times) and play on other CD players. A few of the last windows 10 updates seem to have reset a number of sound settings on the PC (like default players etc so I'm presuming something has been reset but I can't figure out what. The 2 CD players play previously burned discs fine and commercial discs too.The files just show up a cda files but. in foobar/open CD gives me a selection of CD players and clicking on play works and it plays happily.  I rally don't like windowa 10. Any help would be appreciated. I want my main st christmas loop playing! Just can't figure this one out..

Did you burn an audio CD or a data CD containing MP3s?

If I put a retail pressed audio CD in my Windows 10 machines and choose "Open" from the Context Menu for the CD, I see .cda files because that's how Windows is interpreting the contents of the music CD.  I'm in Explorer and browsing a physical volume that happens to be an audio CD so .cda files are the proper representation.

If I choose "Play" on the Context Menu, the Windows Media Player starts up and plays the CD.

How were you previously playing CDs on Windows 7, XP, etc.?

Which version of Windows 10 are you running?
How to Find Out Which Build and Version of Windows 10 You Have
http://www.howtogeek.com/236195/how-to-find-out-which-build-and-version-of-windows-10-you-have/

Did you upgrade to Windows 10 or did you do a clean install?  I upgraded from Win7/Win8 to Win10 so my machines would be registered on the Microsoft authentication servers as being legitimate Win10 installations.  Then I wiped the hard drives and did a clean install of Win10.  Fewer gotchas that way. 8)

normally I pop the CD into the player and foobar opens and plays them (that's my default program). but now it opens but shows no information (track numbers., titles etc). It's blank and in the bottom left says playback stopped. WMP plays them but not foobar. It's just suddenly decided I'm not burning a CD (Nero checks the discs as fine and finalised).  Today it tried to open them with winamp. It was the free upgrade to Win 10 but there seem to have been some recent updates which seem to be messing up what opens what. As I say.it hppily plays thing I've burned up to about a week ago and these discs play fine in everything else. If I select open CD from the file menu it loads and shows the cda files. I then have to highlight  a file and select play and it plays it. It's that that confuses me. AS it's the default player it should do tht without being told. Maybe I should reinstall foobar (system is clean by the way). I do hate a conundrum.

What is you default music player app?
Go: Settings (gear icon) -> System -> Default apps
Right side of window says "Choose default apps" and has a list of current default apps.
"Music player" is the 3rd one down.  Mine is set to "foobar2000".

But that is just setting the default music player.  You need to also check to see what file types the default music player app will open... by default. :p

At the very bottom of that list, there is the link "Choose default apps by file type".  Click on that link and that will take you to another window.  Under "Associate file types with specific apps", wait for the list to fully refresh and look for .CDA (labeled CD Audio Track).  The default app on my desktop is still set to "Windows Media Player", which is why WMP opens a CD when I double-click on the CD icon, even though foobar2000 is my default music player app.

Now I have tried to change the default app for .CDA files to foobar2000 but Win10 1607 won't let me. ???  I am not alone.
Can't change default apps in Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/cant-change-default-apps-in-windows-10/989ef723-b81b-46a3-896b-a0f111b8fa7a

But... I used the foobar2000 preferences to set as the default audio CD player and that worked.  I.e., when I double-click on the CD icon, foobar2000 plays the CD instead of WMP.
File -> Preferences -> Shell Integration -> enable "Set as the default audio CD player" checkbox.

What do you mean by "system is clean"?  It is free of malware or it was a clean install of Win10, i.e., not an update to Win10 on top of an existing installation?

I think he means "Clean install" for the burner since some installed programs can have trouble when you upgrade from one version of windows to another.

The burner is actually an external (portable) USB one so installed automatically and yes, I did mean clear of malware. Foobar is the default player both in the windows settings and in shell integration in foobar.
As I say, it's worked fine up to now.
To recap.
I place a CD in the player (either one) and foobar opens as expected but nothing shows in the window and in the bottom left it says "playback stopped".
Gong to the file menu and selecting ."open" goes to the window to select the source, Selecting either of the two CD players brings up he contents (cda files as expected) but selecting a file results in the blank foobar  window and playback stopped. However, if I select open audio CD, I get a box up askng me to select which CD player. Selecitng one opens up the foobar window showing the song titles, track numbers etc as normal. and they play fine.,
This is what is confusing and annoying. The PC recognises them as valid CDs. Other players see them as valid CDs and play them as normal. It seems to be foobar that gets mixed up. When trying to open the CD, Foobar does flick up a window for a fraction of a second but far too fast to see what it is. Oh, I have tried uninstalling foobar and downloading and installing the latest version but that makes no difference and restarting the PC several times. Also tried re burning the discs using different aspects of Nero (smartstart, express and burning ROM with the same result. A CD I burned a couple of days ago plays fine and I've tried converting the mp3 files (mp3 different bitrate). Same result. I do hate a mystery.

I meant for the program, unless the hardware had no install of files on your machine, the burner's program may need a clean install.

which program,? The burner is plug and play and I've been using it for the last couple of years as it's faster than the one in the PC. I have removed it from the system and let it find itself again but no difference. Autoplay is still on.

eyore said:
However, if I select open audio CD,

Is this from inside foobar also ( or a Windows command ) ?

eyore said:
This is what is confusing and annoying. The PC recognises them as valid CDs. Other players see them as valid CDs and play them as normal. It seems to be foobar that gets mixed up. When trying to open the CD, Foobar does flick up a window for a fraction of a second but far too fast to see what it is.

Try the Event Viewer and see if the Apps section has anything for foobar.
Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> Applications

One way to get to the Event Viewer is to put your cursor to the corner of your window by the start button ( window icon ) and right click. You should have Event Viewer in the context menu.

Just to double check your AutoPlay settings for audio CDs:

Access the previous OSes' non-simplified Control Panel by RMB clicking on the Windows 10 icon in the lower left corner to open the "secret menu" with all the system and admin controls
Select 'Control Panel'.
Double-click the 'AutoPlay' icon in the Control Panel window
Scroll down to the 'CDs' section.
For the 'Audio CD' item, is the default action "Play audio CD (foobar2000)"?

This started after the PC decided to reset the default player to winamp from foobar . I knew that as  I tried to play the CD and it opened in winamp (instead of foobar) and the desktop icons had changed too, played badly (stopping and starting for seconds at a time) for a few seconds and winamp crashed.(it plays on it fine now of course, it's only foobar that refuses to play them. This is what makes me suspect that an auto windows update has messed something up. As I say, I can open them going the long way around and select the drive and highlight the files and press OK which, to me, rules out disc faults or file faults. I've split the loop into separate files and  burned the files onto another disc and foobarr sees them (eventually) if I use the internal PC player and plays them but second one doesn't open foobar now.
I wonder if foobar is having trouble with a loop of over an hour and just not seeing it. I hate things with no logic to them.

eyore said:
which program,? The burner is plug and play and I've been using it for the last couple of years as it's faster than the one in the PC. I have removed it from the system and let it find itself again but no difference. Autoplay is still on.

When you use it, do you open a program to author the audio CD? They usually need software on the PC so it can commutate with it.

eyore said:
I wonder if foobar is having trouble with a loop of over an hour and just not seeing it. I hate things with no logic to them.
I have 5+ hours of music queued up in foobar2000 right now and foobar2000 is working fine.  If foobar2000 had problems with queuing more than an hour of music, it would have affected many users and they would have filed bug reports with the developers.

eyore said:
It was the free upgrade to Win 10 but there seem to have been some recent updates which seem to be messing up what opens what.
Did you upgrade to Windows 10 by installing it over your existing OS?
I did that on my desktop (upgraded to Win10 on top of Win7) and I immediately noticed some minor things were dodgy.  The Start Menu wasn't fully populated, etc.  Eventually the little annoyances became bigger headaches so I wiped the system hard drive and did a fresh clean install of Windows 10.  The PC is working much, much better now.

Maybe I should reinstall foobar (system is clean by the way). I do hate a conundrum.
Uninstalling/reinstalling software usually does not delete or undo all the configuration files and/or registry entries that the software creates or uses.  Some thoughtful developers give you an option to remove or revert all the changes caused by installing & using their software, but I don't think the foobar2000 developers give you that choice.

Wizzard419 said:
Ok, so now one step closer.

Was Nero installed before or after you went to Win 10?

Well before (when I bought the new PC and it's been working fine up to a few days ago and still is). It's only foobar that refuses to autoplay the CDs with these particular files on ) I'll assume hat there is some corruption on the files themselves which makes them unplayable.in foobar but OK everywhere else.

pixelated said:
eyore said:
I have 5+ hours of music queued up in foobar2000 right now and foobar2000 is working fine.  If foobar2000 had problems with queuing more than an hour of music, it would have affected many users and they would have filed bug reports with the developers.

eyore said:
It was the free upgrade to Win 10 but there seem to have been some recent updates which seem to be messing up what opens what.
Did you upgrade to Windows 10 by installing it over your existing OS?
I did that on my desktop (upgraded to Win10 on top of Win7) and I immediately noticed some minor things were dodgy.  The Start Menu wasn't fully populated, etc.  Eventually the little annoyances became bigger headaches so I wiped the system hard drive and did a fresh clean install of Windows 10.  The PC is working much, much better now.

Maybe I should reinstall foobar (system is clean by the way). I do hate a conundrum.
Uninstalling/reinstalling software usually does not delete or undo all the configuration files and/or registry entries that the software creates or uses.  Some thoughtful developers give you an option to remove or revert all the changes caused by installing & using their software, but I don't think the foobar2000 developers give you that choice.

It refuses to "see" the full loop but can see the individual split file fine (mind you, it may be the wma file of Chante c'est noel that I converted to mp3 128 kbps that's causing the problem - those are the only two files on the CDs that won't autoplay - that and the full Main Street Christmas loop DLRP.

Yes, it was over Win 7

I usually run a program that seeks out everything connected to a program I uninstall as I'd had problems before with odd bits still remaining somewhere on the hard drive that caused an earlier version of Nero to no longer work. (Revo unistaller Pro).

As I say, I've come to the conclusion that it must be one of the two files that's causing the problem. The fact that foobar is opening must mean the autoplay is working but as it doesn't see any files on the disc, it shows a blank window. If the individual cda file is selected via explorer (from the file menu). it sees it and plays it. It's not a burning fault as every other CD player sees then without a problem. Don't see a problem in media tab

Complete name              : C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\01 Chante, c'est noël! [Original].mp3
Format                      : MPEG Audio
File size                  : 7.85 MB
Duration (ms)              : 4mn 17s
Total bitrate              : 256 Kbps
Encoded library            : Lavf52.32.0 / LAME3.98.2

===================== Audio =====================
Format version              : Version 1
Format profile              : Layer 3
Format settings mode        : Joint stereo
Format settings mode extens : MS Stereo
Duration (ms)              : 4mn 17s
Bitrate mode                : Constant
Bitrate                    : 256 Kbps
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Sampling rate              : 44.1 KHz
Stream size                : 7.85 MB (100%)
Encoded library            : LAME3.98.2

Complete name              : C:\Users\Colin\Desktop\Disneyland Paris - Main Street USA - Christmas BGM Loop.mp3
File size                  : 57.0 MB
Duration (ms)              : 1h 2mn
Total bitrate              : 128 Kbps
Album                      : Disneyland Resort Paris
Track name                  : Christmas Area BGM Loop
Track position              : 1
Total tracks                : 1
Performer                  : Main Street, USA
Genre                      : Disney Park Audio
Recorded_Date              : 2002
iTunNORM                    :  0000046E 00000420 0000202B 00002179 00099D35 00099D35 00005648 000056AC 00099D35 00099D35

===================== Audio =====================
Format version              : Version 1
Format profile              : Layer 3
Duration (ms)              : 1h 2mn
Bitrate mode                : Constant
Bitrate                    : 128 Kbps
Channel(s)                  : 2 channels
Sampling rate              : 44.1 KHz
Stream size                : 57.0 MB (100%)

Ah, you've narrowed it down to 2 particular MP3 files.  Good sleuthing!
I see that those files are also in your Windows Desktop folder.  Just to check, does foobar2000 also have problems playing those two files from that folder?

If you have the time to read through this somewhat lengthy blog post about validating MP3 files, you could check those two MP3 files with the various utils mentioned by the author.
Verifying or Validating MP3 Files: MP3-Check, MP3val, MP3 Diags, Foobar2000, and Others
https://raywoodcockslatest.wordpress.com/2014/12/02/checking-mp3s/

MediaInfo, Windows Explorer, etc. only read the MP3s' metadata so they won't detect issues with the audio content of the file.  Hence those MP3 verification apps.

No problems, it plays them from the desktop and the orignal folders and backup copies.
Bear in mind, grossly out of my depth but using the utilities/properties by right clicking the mp3 file in foobar, the metadata is blank bar the encoder (I converted this from a wma file using a paid for program (Ultra mp4 converter) which is pretty reliable. The wma file shows plenty of information. I wonder if that's the culprit? (the original is a rip of the CD Chante c'est noel with the 5 different versions. Now, should I bite the bullet and burn another disc with just that track on it? Hmmm

eyore said:
I can open them going the long way around and select the drive and highlight the files and press OK which, to me, rules out disc faults or file faults.
You are selecting the drive through the foobar2000 main menu with File -> Open audio CD..., correct?

I've split the loop into separate files and  burned the files onto another disc and foobarr sees them (eventually) if I use the internal PC player and plays them but second one doesn't open foobar now.
You mean foobar2000 will now plays all the individual tracks in the loop after you split the loop up?

What do you mean by "doesn't open foobar2000"?  That the AutoPlay function does not open foobar2000 if you double-click on the external drive icon?

Can you create ISO images of the original problematic audio CDs and upload that to a file sharing site?  I obviously can't look over your shoulder while you work on troubleshooting this and short of having you record your screen while you work, having the disc images is the next best option to see for myself what is going on.

pixelated said:
...I obviously can't look over your shoulder while you work on troubleshooting this...

Yes you can, actually, with TeamViewer (http://teamviewer.com). I use it quite a lot in the IT to do some remote adjustments on Windows servers which are more than a 300km drive (linux is just a good ol' terminal, so not needed there) :) Of course, it could be a bit of 'invading one's privacy', so only use it if you feel comfortable and are confident about that person to access your PC. On launch (it can even run without installing) you get an ID and a password (password changes on every start of the app) and so you can automatically only allow people you trust to access your PC or only let them view your screen. If you close the app, then everything is back to how it was (that is, if you ran it without installing, which is an option you can easily select).

Even better, the app is free for non-commercial use ;D

Hope this explanation is clear enough.

Thanks wcool but eyore is in Liverpool and I'm in Los Angeles on a cheap and slow network connection.  The network latency would likely be too much to make using Windows Remote Desktop, TeamViewer, VNC, etc. feasible.

Well, it does accommodate (is this right?) to the available bandwidth automatically, so a try would always be possible. :) The bigger issue would be to find the right time I guess due to the time difference? In my tests (quite a while ago) Teamviewer handles most connections the best (partially updating the image etc).

edit: Now you make me curious what down- and upstream bandwidth you all have (and latency of course). :D

Yes, of course it's up to eyore, hence the mentions of comfortable and confidence earlier. For some it is quite a big privacy intrusion to do something like this and thus (also in my professional field) one must take that into consideration as to whether it is even appropriate to mention an app like this.

edit: What I'm trying to say is that working on the 'faulty' system is most of the time the best way of spotting errors, but it mustn't be the case that someone feels awkward about giving access to their system to do so :)

Ah, the good ol' SysInternals, rescued systems and apps more than once, but now I don't use 'em anymore due to the wonderful open penguin O/S (Linux) and it's tech goodies. But I digress... :)

Linux is great *if* the hardware is qualified to run it.

My old self-built desktop (X3220) was running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS OK (couldn't find a proper NVIDIA driver so the screen flickered) until a system update caused my incremental backup software to just stop running.  I could see the error in the software's log but I couldn't realistically do anything about it since I didn't know which part of which update caused the problem.

I tried Ubuntu 14.04 LTS on my Lenovo Core i7 laptop but the Elan touchpad kept locking up the machine.  I knew it was the touchpad because if I disabled it, the laptop wouldn't lock up.  But the Unity desktop would freeze at least once a day.  I had processes running in terminal windows so I knew from stdout messages that the machine itself wasn't frozen.

The desktop and laptop are now both running Windows 10 without problems.  C'est la guerre.

The Linux desktops I've used at various companies worked very well but that's because their systems departments spent the time (usually several months) testing and qualifying various machine configurations and tweaking the Linux distro to get the most stable systems.

Sorry to hear that you had issues, but I always buy 'generic hardware' computers (heck, even a hackintosh has run on that beautifully). So, typically it's Intel with iGFX and synaptics touchpad etc. Then it does work beautifully. The biggest thing of why I've switched is that I'd like to take a look in the source as to how things are 'wired up' as opposed to Windows where you have to guess how it is all wired in the kernel, drivers and such. Still, every O/S has it's good and bad sides and that'll never change, for sure ;) As long as you enjoy the stuff you work with, really boosts productivity imho.

I honestly don't think it's worth perusing, to be honest. As it only seems to be  one (or both) of those two files that's the problem (foobar is playing everything else fine including further audio files I have burned since those). I took the obvious step of just burning the converted wma file again and that's the problem. Foobar doesn't see it on the CD at all - no autoplay and, in fact. foobar doesn't even open.
Again. it can be selected by the file/open audio CD command in foobar so there lies the fault. The second file seems fine.
That lack of metadata in media tab suggested there was a problem with it.
As it's only one file which I converted, I think we can say he problem is sorted.Thanks for everything.

eyore said:
... it only seems to be  one (or both) of those two files that's the problem (foobar is playing everything else fine including further audio files I have burned since those). I took the obvious step of just burning the converted wma file again and that's the problem. Foobar doesn't see it on the CD at all - no autoplay and, in fact. foobar doesn't even open.

Is that file cda or wma on the CD ?

You converted the wma to mp3 and then burned the mp3 to CD ?

Just out of curiosity ( since you seem to be done with this ), could you convert the wma to a wav file, burn to CD and see if that works. Make sure there are no issues during the conversion/decode/encode.

Instead of "wasting" a CD, "burn" to an ISO file and mount that in Windows 10. This is "built-in" to Window 10 and also an option with third party programs/apps like CyberLink and possibly Nero.

Create an ISO with the original files ( the same way you created the CD that has the issue ) and see if you have the same problem when mounting the ISO so we'll know if the simulation is the same. If it is, then try the conversion to wav and create an ISO and test that.

You can burn the ISO to the CD if you find that the wav conversion works.

It will be something that I've done in the conversion but. as I have several duplicate files from different sources I've burned one of those instead (yes, it's fine). I do know this (paid for) version of Nero10 does have the odd glitch with some bitrates of mp3 files.
I think I should put it down to "one of those things". I made the mistake of not testing other files before posting and presumed it was the player rather than the file. Also, I have no idea who ripped the CD or with what. I'm not really comfortable with the technical side of stuff. What I will do is convert the entire CD to mp3 and burn that and see if foobar sees it. CD-Rs are cheap and I bought a new box today

Back