Guidelines for Torrent File Names

nelsonj3

I have noticed several uploaders are not aware of the requirements for Torrent File Names. These are not site-specific requirements, but rather OS-Specific File Name requirements.

Make sure that you DO NOT include the following characters in your torrent file names:

Colons ( : ), Apostrophes (\'), Slashes (/ or \\), periods (.) except before the actual .torrent extension, and ampersands ( & ). (Thanks to i86time!)

Does anyone know of any other characters that cannot be used? The reason for this is because if any of the above characters are used in torrent file names, the tracker automatically converts the file name from whatever you named it to \"download\" with no extension. When this happens, everyone has to save the file and rename it as a torrent file or force your BT Client to open it.

This is not a huge deal, but rather a suggestion to make everything a little easier for everyone.

Thanks!! :)

nelsonj3 said:
The reason for this is because if any of the above characters are used in torrent file names, the tracker automatically converts the file name from whatever you named it to \"download\" with no extension.

I am not sure the tracker itself is causing this. Not all users are experiencing this. Mainly Internet Explorer users will have trouble with the filename. Firefox users will have no problems.

Still I agree with nelsonj3, that we should avoid these characters. :D

It\'s best overall to just NOT USE ANYTHING other than numbers, letters and a hyphen or underscore. Then the single period before the extension. I know I have used some odd filenames in the past and shame on me.

Working on the web, I\'m constantly fighting users over their filenames that they want placed on the net.

As a client, Azureus refuses to open any torrent with an ampersand, &, in the file name. I have to save the torrent, delete the & from the name and reopen it. Nothing to difficult, but it would be a lot easier if they were no longer used.

Back