How can I reseed?

Mons

Hello all!
I have moved all my (precious) video files to an external HD and now I don't know how to reseed, at least some of them. Could anyone tell me how I can do that?
Thanks a lot.

All you need to do is start to download a torrent, and when asked where to save the file you just point it to the file on your external drive.  It will verify that it is the correct file and start seeding.

I have just had to do this after moving a large number of downloads from my hdd to an external (very large) drive as I was getting low on space.
If you still have the torrent files on your PC (I keep them in a folder called "torrents" for this purpose), just double click them and, when asked where to save to, point it to the drive/folder where the files are now and, as said, it will check the folder, find the file, check it and then start seeding.
In Azureus, don't worry about the warning that some files exist and will be overwritten etc, just click "yes" or "OK".
This will only work if you haven't touched the files - renamed them, for instance.
If you have, you will have to start from the beginning and redownload the full files to a folder of your choice, alas. If you can rename them to exactly what they were called though, it should work, I believe.
It's much easier than it sounds ;D

Hey, thanks a lot you all.
I don't think I have the torrents anymore because I really had to clean up my HD. Anyway, I'll give it a try and if there's still any problem I'll cry for help.

I wanted to post this instead of creating a new one because it relates to reseeding.

Can I move the files and the torrent files to a new folder and would it still be able to see it? Or as said should I just re-download the torrent and save to the new folder?

Thepeck said:
Can I move the files and the torrent files to a new folder and would it still be able to see it? Or as said should I just re-download the torrent and save to the new folder?
In your torrent client preferences or options, you should be able to customize where the .torrent files and the downloaded files are stored.  Which client are you using?

Ya that's what I did, I'm using uTorrent. After I downloaded quite a bit I figured I needed to move them to my external drive and changed where it is saving them. But I was curious if I moved all the other torrent files into the new directory it would still see them or not. Or would I have to re-download the torrent file.

It seems that once you load a .torrent file into uTorrent, that information is stored somewhere in uTorrent's internal data storage area.  You can move or even delete the .torrent file without affecting downloading or seeding.

But do remember that you need either the original torrent file (somewhere) or a fresh copy of it (re-downloaded) to start the reseeding process.
Once the actual file is downloaded, uTorrent remembers where it downloaded it TO. The original .torrent file has done it's job and is no longer needed.
If you move the actual file, that information is no longer correct so you have to start again (think registry path on your PC).
If you DON'T tell uTorrent (and, I suppose, any other client) where the existing file is NOW and try to download it to another location , it will try and download it again from scratch and in full.
The short answer to the question is - if you move a downloaded file, you have to  to redownload it by activating the torrent file (the small one) after redirecting the client to it's present location. It will NOT continue seeding after the move otherwise nor will the client "see" it in another location.
It can be a little time consuming because the client has to check each file and that takes a few minutes to do.
So YES, you would have to redownload or reactivate (say by double clicking it if you still have it somewhere) the .torrent file for each one.  ;)

Back