"Pruning" Of The Boards

bingie

I can completely understand the removal of torrents that contain music found to be commercially available, but why remove those that do not?

Is it possible to (at the very least so I can know what to stop seeding) post what gets removed... ( for instance, the innoventions loops and all of martin's older videos)...

And for loops like the innoventions area loop, can we upload them again?!

And another instance: Was looking for HISTA video yesterday, couldn't find it. Was this another result of pruning?

Remember, it's up to the individual uploader whether they wish to continue sharing their own work.
If their upload wasn't their own work but just something they acquired from from the Internet or another site, it can always be uploaded again by anyone who has it.
The problem is, how do we know?
Once the file has gone, we don't know the uploader, whether it was their own work etc.
Not wanting to step on toes, we can't really upload again to be told "that's mine, take it down" and cause friction.
Maybe we should put our names on the titles - Like Martin does - then there is no doubt.
I have the Jungle Cruise and the Frontierland BGM (mines the DLRP one which used the same BGM originally as DL or WDW) - both popular torrents looking at my share ratio for them  ;D and I  had those for years and long before I joined Mousebits (and, I think, well before they were uploaded here - they were amongst the first ones I found on the Internet) but without knowing who created them, it's not fair to put them back up.
I think some uploaders have had problems with others and have stopped sharing (probably an excess of PMs asking for stuff or stuff being sold on CDs etc, I don't know, just a guess) and have chosen to remove their files and stop sharing.
Maybe someone else knows a little more?

Also, the last torrent pruning that was done by the admins was done because of the amount of traffic that was being generated.  I think a torrent with seeders, but no leechers still takes up bandwidth at least cooredinating those that join, who's got what, etc.

SirLamer asked a while back that if a torrent has 10-20 seeders, it's OK for others to stop seeding it.  Not sure if that still applies, it's been a while, and I think he has found a new hosting provider since then as well.

And, as others said, sometimes uploaders, for whatever reason, delete torrents they post.

eyore said:
Remember, it's up to the individual uploader whether they wish to continue sharing their own work.
If their upload wasn't their own work but just something they acquired from from the Internet or another site, it can always be uploaded again by anyone who has it.
The problem is, how do we know?
Once the file has gone, we don't know the uploader, whether it was their own work etc.
Not wanting to step on toes, we can't really upload again to be told "that's mine, take it down" and cause friction.
Maybe we should put our names on the titles - Like Martin does - then there is no doubt.

Interesting thought.... Although, at some times for some of the torrents here - they could have been passed around for a few years and we have no idea who the original uploader was to begin with. If someone made an induction recording a few years ago of an hour long BGM loop, it was torrented for a year, was taken down for a year, forgotten about, and then someone else found it, chopped up and then uploaded portions a year later as their "work"...

Do they then have the right to take it down? Or when they do (since they are the uploader, they can) have the right to demand that no one else upload "their" work when it was in fact someone else's "work"...

What a sticky situation  :mad:

I'm not mad, furthest thing from it! I just hate seeing torrents, like the Innoventions BGM, gone - what a shame. The tracks don't sound like an induction recording to me (could be wrong) so does anyone really own it? Can we re upload it?

I like eyore's idea of a notification of some sort, to see whats been removed. I don't really know what i want to see that, maybe so i can say "awwww - i wish i had that before it was taken down!"

I dunno  ???

I don't see any reason for not re-upping it.

My biggest complaint about this torrent software is the lack or a sort function that work on files inside each torrent.  The Innovention BGM loop could actually be inside one of the existing torrents and we don't really know.  I would actually be surprised if it wasn't here in some fashion, it's probably the best individual piece of Disney music floating around.  I'm sure it wasn't pulled because someone "owns" it and doesn't feel like sharing anymore.

An effort to organize the torrents a little better might be worth looking into, but then it would most certainly require some people to reorganize their collections too.  For example, an Epcot - Future World torrent and an Epcot World Showcase torrent.  Fiding the right amount of generaization without having each torret be several gigis is the tough part.

Back