How Do I open an M3U File?

an m3u file is a playlist. i.e. it's a text file that says "okay these different mp3 files go in this order". it just has information on the location of other files, it doesn't contain any music data. you have to already have those files too. itunes/winamp/etc accept it.

If you downloaded it thinking it was an audio file, forget it, it isn't.
As said, it's only a list of stuff and where the stuff is - either on your PC or on a site somewhere.
If it's included in a torrent (for instance, I think there is one in the Forever torrent), double clicking it should start your player up and play the tracks in order - presuming you have a player that understands m3u files - like winamp).

If it doesn't work, you don't have access to the files (that can happen if you just download an M3U file from the internet as it probably won't have the site and such details included in it).
You can open an M3U file with notepad to see what info it holds.

TheWorm said:
an m3u file is a playlist. i.e. it's a text file that says "okay these different mp3 files go in this order".DVD to mp3 it just has information on the location of other files, it doesn't contain any music data. you have to already have those files too. itunes/winamp/etc accept it.

so could I say, M3U files doesn't include any real audio data inside, but just a audio file list and file location info?

Got it in one  ;D
This is the content of an m3u file from the Forever torrent. The torrent contains two folders - "playlists" and "audio". The playlists folder contains m3u files (one for each section/area of music).
Here's the 20,000 leagues playlist in notepad:
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, '20,000 Leagues Under the Sea'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'A Whale of a Tale'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'Drunken Sailor'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'Blow The Man Down'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'Sailing, Sailing'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'Asleep in the Deep'.flac
..\Audio\20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, 'Sailor's Hornpipe'.flac
It's saying what files they are and aklso what folder (ie their location) which, in this case, is the folder "audio".
Clicking on the m3u file will play each of the tracks in the playlist only and in the order written.

Back