There are lot media files and media file programs

I just remembered there are a lot of file types out there, can we have a list of them (with the appropriate program to extract/open/etc.) So that present and future members don't have to scramble around.

Timekeeper

There aren't that many file types out there but the list of programs would be miles long. :D

The worst case scenario of coming to see the new format is either posting a thread or simply googling.

That's how I learned  ;D
As Wizzard says, far too many to list and there are new ones coming out all the time. The majority of files here will be plain old mp3 or flac  anyway with the occasional wav or other Windows file types (wma) and maybe the odd mp4 thrown in.
As there are just so many programs to open them (some free, some not) it's really your choice which you would want to use and have on your PC or pay for.
Personally I use a program that will play most of them (such as VLC and Winamp although I like Foobar for flac).
True, it's a pain to find an OMA file or APE file and wonder what to do with it but, as said, a little googling never harmed anyone  ;)

There still isn't a simple/easy way to transfer FLAC to MP3 or AAC (since iTunes doesn't take flac format and won't load it on my iphone) on a PC right? The way I use now is really bad since it wipes all the metadata (track info) which means you have to manually re-enter the data.

I don't worry about stuff like that. I just want the music and I don't have an iAnything. I dislike iTunes in particular. I use my mobile to make phone calls (hence the name mobile phone ) and have no desire or sudden urge to listen to music on it. My mp3 player suits me fine.
I generally know what I am listening to so don't need track listing. If I do have a need for it, a text file or cover scan in the folder is adequate for my needs. You had to read the LP cover or CD insert anyway if you wanted details.
Hmm, time to wind up the record player methinks.........................

Wizzard419 said:
There still isn't a simple/easy way to transfer FLAC to MP3 or AAC (since iTunes doesn't take flac format and won't load it on my iphone) on a PC right? The way I use now is really bad since it wipes all the metadata (track info) which means you have to manually re-enter the data.
I use dBpoweramp to convert between audio file formats.
This is the list of its supported codecs:
http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central.htm

eyore said:
I don't worry about stuff like that. I just want the music and I don't have an iAnything. I dislike iTunes in particular. I use my mobile to make phone calls (hence the name mobile phone ) and have no desire or sudden urge to listen to music on it. My mp3 player suits me fine.
I generally know what I am listening to so don't need track listing. If I do have a need for it, a text file or cover scan in the folder is adequate for my needs. You had to read the LP cover or CD insert anyway if you wanted details.
Hmm, time to wind up the record player methinks.........................

Yes but I have an iphone connection in the car so that I can carry a huge chunk of my library with me when I am on the go and be able to use the car's systems to controll it. :D RCA jacks can't do that.

I suppose that having grown up without all the technology of today, I find stuff like that interesting but non-essential. I did most of my car music on audio cassette (copied from various vinyl LPs). Come to think of it, I still only have a radio/cassette player in the car to play music on although my son does plug his CD player into it most days and I can plug the mp3 player into it as well but I still like tapes.
Funnily enough, I took my 2Gb mp3 player to DLRP last week and it was full of park loops to listen to in the hotel. How sad is that. The loops were playing not five minutes walk away.  :D

The Cassete player finally died out of production cars only a few years ago and now CD players are being removed.

What I would like to see is a system like the one a friend of mine use to have (this was pre-ipod domination) it was similar to a mini PC that he had in the car with a touch screen controller in the dash. To sync the music he put a wifi antenna in his garage and it would connect to his home network. Some of that tech is only now being used by apple, which is kind of sad how long it took them to pick it up.

Well,  ::) it's just I found a file that was labeled with '.SV6' and I was wondering what is it and what program should I use/get?

Timekeeper

Timekeeper said:
Well,  ::) it's just I found a file that was labeled with '.SV6' and I was wondering what is it and what program should I use/get?

Timekeeper

So you really need a Roller coaster Tycoon save file eh?  ;)

I'm still surprised at how active their community seems to be considering that a new title hasn't been released in 7 years.

Back