This Site Needs A FAQ

G

So I am fairly new here ... to the world of torrents, digital video, etc.

After lurking for a few months I\'m still trying to figure out what half the terminology means. What\'s a Seeder? What\'s a Leecher? And all those abbreviations that you guys take for granted that everyone knows ... like ISO and video_ts and and the Codecs (whatever that is)...

Isn\'t there some kind soul who could start some sort of FAQ and a glossary of terms?

Thanks.

Good idea, and welcome!

A seeder is someone who is making a video available to upload. Leeching is someone downloading it (who can then become a seeder when they have it complete)

An ISO file is a complete `image` of a DVD - including all video, audio, menu screens etc. - if you copy an ISO to a blank DVD you have a complete disc, complete with animated menus, multiple chapters / videos etc.

the video_ts is the video part of a DVD disc. Guess what the audio_ts part is!

Finally, codecs are data files installed on your PC that allow you to play different formats of videos; eg WMV, MPEG 1,2 and 4, .mov, divx etc. Windows comes with some basic ones for WMV, MPEG1 etc. but you have to install others yourself for the more exotic ones like divx files - all codecs are usually free to download, apart from MPEG2 (needed to play a DVD on your PC) which tend to need liscensing for a small one off fee.

Thanks for your detailed response, and for the warm welcome.

Your descriptions were a good start. And I found other bits and pieces here and there on this site. I\'m sure if I spent a night (or a week) doing proper research, then I could figure it all out, as you all have done.

However, I still think it would be great to have a \"Torrents for Dummies\" area where all this is stored.

Thanks again.

I think a guide is in the works but will take some time because of all the info and details needed.
It can be intimidating at first, but you will catch on pretty quick once you get started.

You may want to check in the forums under the Instructional Guides part.

http://www.mousebits.com/forum.php?action=viewforum&forumid=10

There is some good info there about what you need to get started with bittorrents and players for the media after you get them downloaded.

Welcome to the site and I hope you have a \"MAGICAL\" time while you are here. :)

Nice description of the terminology! Wish I had that when I first showed up. I had to keep asking questions.

May I ask, how do u actually play torrents files?

I can\'t play it on iTunes, Window\'s Media Player, Real Player, or Quick Time. So how do I play it?:thumbsdown:

No, you need to use a BitTorrent client to download the actual media file. The .torrent files point at where to get them from for the client program.

Google and download \"uTorrent\"

Back