This Site is Soooooo Complicated!!!!!

disneydad

This has to be the most complicated site that I have ever been on in my life!What is a stupid torrent? What is a seed? What is a leecher? Why couldn't you have set this site up with a simplicity so even computer novices could understand?Furthermore,this is NOT even an attractive site.It is so bland.All of you that likes this site,more power to you,but as for me,I won't be back.
Go ahead and bash me if you must.I didn't come in here to hurt anyone or make anyone mad.But this site is too confusing and I am very knowledgeable on the computer,but not on this site.If I make anyone upset with my comments,I am sorry,that's not my intention.My intention is just to let it be known that this is a confusing site and I am probably not the only one that feels this way.
AS I said,I won't be back,and no,I won't bad mouth this site to others.I don't operate that way,but as for me,I won't be back.

Oh dear. Some people just want things handed to them on a plate. Nearly 9000 members think otherwise.

leaving a bad comment on something .. but promising not to come back won't leave room for improvement on either side ..  ???

Torrents are not that unusual now and, let's face it, if I can understand them........................... ::)
I must admit that after wrestling with #Disney-central (before finding a decent GUI), I found it refreshingly easy.
Five minutes on Google gave me all I needed to know (plus a few dumb questions here at first) about bittorrents.
Oh well, as was said, you can't please everyone but we do live in "I want it NOW world, alas.
As Homer Simpson says, "if it's hard to do it's not worth doing". ;D

I came here without the slightest clue what a "torrent" was, and yet I figured it all out and was able to operate with them efficiently (and understand the terms involved) within a week ... is it really all that hard? ???

Eh, you gotta be willing to learn before trying something new I guess. :p

I can understand disneydad's frustration because I've had to explain how BitTorrent works to some friends who are very computer savvy.  He's probably accustomed to the "Click here to download" type of web sites and isn't familiar with torrent tracker sites.  Perhaps a link to a web page like this one:
HowStuffWorks "How BitTorrent Works"
in the "Downloading A Torrent (FAQ)" sticky might help future users who are new to torrents?  I read the whole article and it seems well written; it's clear, informative and easy to read.

Besides that, when I first came to the site, I didn't know a lot about torrents. Most people are very friendly here to newcomers who just ask for help. They pointed me to written things like the FAQ's and they also told me a lot about torrents and how they work. Ye have not, because ye ask not!

well one thing that might be frustrating to disneydad is that he is still validating... and I think a user is limited in what they can do until they become fully validated.

nitt

nowisthetime said:
well one thing that might be frustrating to disneydad is that he is still validating... and I think a user is limited in what they can do until they become fully validated.

nitt

Oh, what a good point. I reckon we missed that ;D
I don't think he would even have been able to FIND the torrents until he was validated.
Talk about impatient! Gimme gimme gimme now now NOW - or even better, yesterday (and don't read the PC screen in case you learn something)!
Seriously, I hope he comes back when he gets the email and realises that he has to reply first, I hate the idea of an unhappy fan. :(

DisneyFanatic001 said:
nowisthetime said:

nitt

Well, he obviously was able to view the torrents because he left a previous cry for help in the comments for this torrent http://www.mousebits.com/index.php?page=torrent-details&id=e4395b5530af7bd0168242a58b494e824afc276c#comments

I do seem to recall that comment... and someone else left a very helpful reply... sure hope everything works out with him.

nitt

I remember the time before mousebits, there was (and still is but there isn't much happening there these days) the #disney-central IRC channel.  For computer novices, it seems to me that using torrents instead of IRC is a lot simpler.

Oh and by the way, this site is the best!  It makes me feel so much better about my Disney obsession, thank you guys!

disneydad said:
This has to be the most complicated site that I have ever been on in my life!What is a stupid torrent? What is a seed? What is a leecher? Why couldn't you have set this site up with a simplicity so even computer novices could understand?Furthermore,this is NOT even an attractive site.It is so bland.All of you that likes this site,more power to you,but as for me,I won't be back.
Go ahead and bash me if you must.I didn't come in here to hurt anyone or make anyone mad.But this site is too confusing and I am very knowledgeable on the computer,but not on this site.If I make anyone upset with my comments,I am sorry,that's not my intention.My intention is just to let it be known that this is a confusing site and I am probably not the only one that feels this way.
AS I said,I won't be back,and no,I won't bad mouth this site to others.I don't operate that way,but as for me,I won't be back.

A little research would easily yield the knowledge you need to navigate this site.  It seems to be just laziness on your part and a refusal to learn something new.  You must not be that knowledgeable about computers if you can't follow the simple instructions in the FAQ's.

Also, there is so much media on this site that there is no possible way that it could ever be hosted on one server.  It would be WAY too expensive to pay for the storage and bandwidth.  That is why we have the torrents.  All of the files are hosted on our members' computers.  Of course, you probably didn't understand that since you didn't take time to research the subject.  There is so much great media on this site, that you would probably really enjoy it if you took the time to learn how to use it.

Also, you don't really have any right to complain about a FREE website.  Learn a little patience; do your research; read the instructions; and be ready to enjoy everything that this excellent site has to offer.  Otherwise, it is really only your loss.

pixelated said:
Perhaps a link to a web page like this one:
HowStuffWorks "How BitTorrent Works"
in the "Downloading A Torrent (FAQ)" sticky might help future users who are new to torrents?  I read the whole article and it seems well written; it's clear, informative and easy to read.

This is a great idea.  It is good to see that most people are able to research torrents and read the instructions to access the media successfully.  I had to do the same thing myself when I first started on this site.  However, I thought it was interesting, and I was happy to learn about it.

Yeah, some of the stuff he said I agree with.  The site is a bit bland and we don't really have a clear "How-to" or starter's guide.  I started writing one and got a long way into it but then decided it was too complicated (offering a bunch of choices instead of saying "do this") and never got back to it...

So I take responsibility for all of that.  But, as I have commented elsewhere I don't seem to have as much time to do any of that stuff anymore and, frankly, our 9000 user base is a lot bigger than I ever planned to cater to!

I saw this post and I had to put in my two cents.  This site is the reason my mp3 player has over 80GB of  WDW stuff on it.  I found this site about two years ago and, yes, it did seem complicated at first.  I was one of those people that liked to see the "click here to download" button.  Bits? Torrents? Leeches?  Seeds?  WHAT?  However, after reading through the FAQs, looking at the FAQs on the discussion boards, and bascially trial and error....I FIGURED IT OUT!!  

This site is a daily WDW fix for me, not just for audio and video.  I love the forums, the Shout Box, and that every so often when PIE gets discussed (makes me laugh).

Most of all, I just really appreciate  ;D all of the members of this site sharing their audio, videos (vacation movies, and tv specials), and tributes with the rest of us who are obsessed with having their Disney audio at their fingertips.  I would be the first one to tell you that I have no idea how some of you get the audio that you do (BGMs, holiday music, monorail spiels, etc) and it doesn't matter how you get it.  I just really want you to know that I appreciate you getting it and putting it on here (this is the part where you give yourself a high five because I can't physically do it  :D).  My family thinks it's absolutley hilarious when I find new audio or videos to show them.  Then when they ask me, "hey, could you find this BGM" I get to say, "oh yeah, I already have it, or in a couple of minutes I will."  

Anyways, I know that this wasn't the intention of the post.  I feel kind of bad though because this poor guy just missed the opportunity to be a part of a really cool community of "Mousebiteers" like us (was that a lame name?  It's the best I could do).

MOUSEBITS ROCK!!!!!  

Have a good one!!

p.s. SirLamer, congratulations Calgary on winning the Grey Cup.  I can't sound too enthusiastic as a Sask Rider fan here  ;).

I just woke up and read that post this morning.  Nice little laugh first thing! 

If he is "very knowledgeable on the computer" then google should not be tough to use.

I noticed the cry for help, but since somebody already pointed out to him that his status was still waiting validation, I did not act on it. His reaction reminds me of Grumpy. I am curious who he will be playing today  :p

We actually could change some of the confusing words on the site (torrent, leecher, seeder etc.), but that means that you will never find any tutorial on google for it  :D

Almost 9000 members! Wow! Do realize though that a large number of that are members that never show up.

I just have to chime in here.

Before coming to Mousebits, I didn't even know what a torrent was.  Like others have stated, a few minutes on Google and I was properly educated.  These days most torrent clients (I use UTorrent) practically walk you through EVERYTHING.  There is a certain amount of trust we must have with each other since this is a P2P and not a one-way download.  I can see how that might turn some folks away.  After some research, the danger is very slight.  I'm sure more knowledgeable users can elaborate on that one-cent description.

Mousebits is a daily stop for me.  I can't thank enough those who have opened their collections to share with others.  If I had the proper recording gear, I would happily add to the library.  As it is, I'm eternally grateful for whatever I can acquire.  Also let it be known for anyone reading this that is on the fence -- the folks running this site (like Sir Lamer) work hard to keep this legal.  I really appreciate that.

Finally, a clarification - the user that started this thread is in no way affiliated with my blog, http://disneydaddy.blogspot.com.

Who cares, there are many, and a lot of people sharing with us every day...! ;D One that leaves the site, hmmm??? Big change huh?
Please try too look on some other sites that can accept this weird and explicit attitude.
Go ahead, as I said, who cares? ???

Mousebits was the first torrent site I ever tried (after everyone migrated from #Disney-Central). I read the instructions, downloaded a client and started downloading and, after a lot of instructions from a very patient Dolbyman who showed me where the problem was, came to grips with the uploading side as well.
I'm really bad on stuff like this so it can't be that hard, can it?
It did take me a while to learn what the terms "seeds" and "peers" etc meant but I just Googled them.
They are not exclusive to here after all!
I can just imagine poor disneydaddy trying to play his CDs on his turntable as he knows all about things electrical and Hi-Fi and saying how complicated it is 8)

This site isnt too hard to use. Now running it, that's a different story. It took me an hour in class to make my website. www.magic108.co.nr

Try making an entire website by typing in the HTML.
That's how I made mine  ;D (not Disney related so I won't post a link)
THAT's hard work!

eyore said:
Try making an entire website by typing in the HTML.
That's how I made mine  ;D (not Disney related so I won't post a link)
THAT's hard work!
I was just wasting class time

If you think Torrents is tough you should have been with us back in the #Disney-Central mIRC days.  ;)

RU

Don't remind me. I was (and still am) a member there and, for ages, couldn't figure out how to download anything. Then I got a decent program (InVison) with a decent interface  ;D
I think, before that, I managed to download one video (and I couldn't remember how as some kind person helped me step-by-step to get the file via the chat facility) over a period of about 6 months.
Torrents are a doddle in comparison (although dolbyman was most helpful and patient with me with my first upload a I had my settings wrong and pointing to the wrong folder). :)

well .. torrents in combination with RIAA sounds like piracy stuff to me ...

I guess neither MPAA nor RIAA are a thread/problem to any mousbitter

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I am not computer literate at all and I read the FAQ and how to thread and I have soo much disney music from this site now.  I love it.

dolbyman said:
well .. torrents in combination with RIAA sounds like piracy stuff to me ...

I guess neither MPAA nor RIAA are a thread/problem to any mousbitter
RIAA wants money, i bet they could find a reason why this site is bad

Whahaha. If he' soooo smart, why not use google for information?
I have only got 1 problem with this site. since I came here about 3 weeks ago my harddisc is almost full with everything I've downloaded here ;D

Boy, this site is soooo easy

You need an external hard drive - essential.
Don't forget to backup as well - drives break. :mad:

Rob said:
Whahaha. If he' soooo smart, why not use google for information?
I have only got 1 problem with this site. since I came here about 3 weeks ago my harddisc is almost full with everything I've downloaded here ;D

Boy, this site is soooo easy

I noticed your status was wrong, so I made this site even easier for ya. Welcome to the rest of the forum  ;D

Back