Encoding Questions (Mac noobie)

popkid

Staff member
Was going through some old tapes last night and I found something I don't beleive has been shared here before. It's the Disneyland Farewell to the Main Street Electrical Parade from 1996 (didn't do a thorough search for it, so apologies if it has been posted before).

Anyhow, it's been a long time since I've captured/encoded video so I thought it'd be a good time to experiment with a Mac courtesy of my brother.

I'm using iMovie at the moment - and while capturing and editing the video was not a problem I'm not 100% on the best export settings. Anyone have a tips on how to export the best quality most Mousebits friendly format? I would say the quality is VHS level (it was most likely transferred from VHS to MiniDV - will have to ask the person who gave it to me) but I'd still like to export the best looking version possible.

Appreciate any help

thanks

This won't be of much help, I suppose, but I've found the best way to keep whatever quality there is on a VHS tape, is to use a dual VHS/DVD recorder and record to a DVD RW.
The recorded DVD always seems better quality than the VHS that went in (and better than direct to the PC).
I then rip the DVD to the PC and make whatever format is required.

That being said, my video capture stuff isn't exactly top-notch direct to PC. There's a bit of a dangle with the dongle :(

popkid said:
Was going through some old tapes last night and I found something I don't beleive has been shared here before. It's the Disneyland Farewell to the Main Street Electrical Parade from 1996 (didn't do a thorough search for it, so apologies if it has been posted before).

This might be the same thing as the tape you found:
Main Street Electrical Parade Farewell Season

The resolution of that video torrent is 320x240 so if you wanted to capture your tape at a higher resolution, would that still be "duplicate content"?  What do the Admins think?

Figured it had to be there already (searched for Disneyland MSEP). Oh well, I'll futz around a bit and if I can get a worthwhile higher quality version I'll post, otherwise I'll go back to my disney pile to see what else I can encode.

I have a Star Tours special with Michael Eisner, but the quality on that one is unfortunately very poor :(

Back