Question about audio on youtube

nexus200

Is there a legit easy way to get audio off of a youtube video and make it into mp3 or wav? I know there used to be a website, which I cant remember, where you typed in the link and it did the job for you. However I do remember that got to be challenging if the video was secured or something.

Thanks

There’s several programs you can install to do that for you (as opposed to having an unknown website downloading a file onto your pc)

I use ytmp3.cc, which can convert to mp3 and mp4 - it's pretty quick to use, however if I'm converting bulk amounts (such as a playlist) I tend to use a Mediahuman program. I cannot insure all Mediahuman software is safe, but I haven't had any issues with it.

Unfortunately converting to mp4s with ymp3.cc can only get you 640x440 or something like that. But the mp3s are great :)

marni1971 said:
There’s several programs you can install to do that for you (as opposed to having an unknown website downloading a file onto your pc)

Any particular program you’d recommend?

I like VideoProc, it's free and does the job well.

It's only 128MB m4a though. Are there better sound quality options?

nexus200 said:
marni1971 said:

Any particular program you’d recommend?

Viddly YouTube downloader. Try the free version, premium goes to 320k IIRC

Thanks. I remembered the one I used a long time ago, it was offliberty? Seemed to be decent at the time except many videos it did not accept for some reason. I also questioned how legit it was so I stopped using it.

You should use youtube-dl, which is free and open-source. By default, it downloads the best video and audio, separately if required, and combines them into one file. The -f bestaudio flag can be used to independently download the best audio format available. Unlike most other software and websites, this will download the file as it is on YouTube's servers rather than downloading some random format and then converting it to MP3, which adds another lossy conversion to the output.

IHeartGaming said:
You should use youtube-dl, which is free and open-source. By default, it downloads the best video and audio, separately if required, and combines them into one file. The -f bestaudio flag can be used to independently download the best audio format available. Unlike most other software and websites, this will download the file as it is on YouTube's servers rather than downloading some random format and then converting it to MP3, which adds another lossy conversion to the output.

Thanks!

Following up on this, I tried to download Viddly and unfortunately it came with viruses or something, thankfully my computer blocked. Then I tried youtube-dl and I can't figure out how to download it. Is there any other options out there?

I've got an update on this as well

IF YOU HAVE AN Adblocker, I recommend y2mate because you can actually install an extension that puts a "download" button on the page of the video. Then it redirects you to the site where you can choose the quality (up to 160k, which is higher than most). It works for video as well and I believe can go up to 1080p? Completely free

I have used dvdvideosoft for years with no issues. The premium is well worth it as it speeds up the process. And you get a bunch of tools too. Always my go to.

Asking about this again because I haven’t had the best of luck with some of these programs. Which ones are user friendly and free? But have high quality?

Back