Nero Transcoding Error and MP4 Conversion

bingie

I'm trying to burn a DVD version of "Dream Along with Mickey" that was downloaded here. It is a mp4 file, and nero will not let me burn it - it stops with a "transcoding" error.

So, is there a way to allow nero to burn this (plug-ins etc) or is there a good (preferably free) program for conversion of mp4 to somthing that nero will burn.

thanks ;)

Ok, I'm presuming that Nero is fine with everything else?
What version Nero and does it actually "see" the mp4 files or do you have to select "all files" before they show up?
Can you play mp4 files on the PC (in other words, do you have the codecs)? Nero is a fickle thing and if it's possible to get an error, I've had it ;D so I'm getting to be quite an expert as to what causes what!
The Nero AAC codec fpr mp4 has been available for a while now and is free
http://www.nero.com/eng/nero-aac-codec.html
It's supposed to work with versions 5 and upwards (I use 6).
As a last resort if none of the above apply, reinstall Nero after first downloading ALL the clean tools from Nero's site. Then go through the add/delete programs to make sure nothing is left and, if necessary, run them again. Don't forget to write down your serial numbers first ::).
I'm using Nero for burning a DVD at the moment and I'll post back after I have made sure mine transcodes them ok. ;D

OK, tried it and it works fine. Transcoded and burned fine.
IF you already have the codec pack from Nero and it's still doing it, there's bad news.
It's almost certain that you have installed something (a player etc) which has "taken over" from Nero.
You'll have to reinstall Nero, alas, to get it working again but check in Nero Toolkit/info tool that the ASPI layers are both green. That's another thing that other programs do - update the windows ASPI layer but not the Nero one which causes conflicts (they need to be the same releases etc).
Google killASPI if there's a problem.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt - several times.  .
A transcoding error is almost always a conflict between Nero and another program (usually installed after Nero was) and often a "freebie" one.
I've had to dump at least half a dozen freeware programs that Nero didn't like co-habiting with!
Try Super to convert if your PC will take it.(Free)

eyore said:
Ok, I'm presuming that Nero is fine with everything else?
What version Nero and does it actually "see" the mp4 files or do you have to select "all files" before they show up?

- Nero does let me select the file, it "sees" it automatically

Can you play mp4 files on the PC (in other words, do you have the codecs)? Nero is a fickle thing and if it's possible to get an error, I've had it ;D so I'm getting to be quite an expert as to what causes what!

- Yup. I can play it in VLC

The Nero AAC codec fpr mp4 has been available for a while now and is free
http://www.nero.com/eng/nero-aac-codec.html
It's supposed to work with versions 5 and upwards (I use 6).

- How do i use the codec pack?

As a last resort if none of the above apply, reinstall Nero after first downloading ALL the clean tools from Nero's site. Then go through the add/delete programs to make sure nothing is left and, if necessary, run them again. Don't forget to write down your serial numbers first ::).
I'm using Nero for burning a DVD at the moment and I'll post back after I have made sure mine transcodes them ok. ;D

- Tried the full clean/reinstall and no dice

OK, tried it and it works fine. Transcoded and burned fine.
IF you already have the codec pack from Nero and it's still doing it, there's bad news.
It's almost certain that you have installed something (a player etc) which has "taken over" from Nero.
You'll have to reinstall Nero, alas, to get it working again but check in Nero Toolkit/info tool that the ASPI layers are both green. That's another thing that other programs do - update the windows ASPI layer but not the Nero one which causes conflicts (they need to be the same releases etc).

- Under windows ASPI there is a yellow msg that reads "ASPI NOT INSTALLED"  and under nero it is green.

Google killASPI if there's a problem.
Been there, done that, got the t-shirt - several times.  .
A transcoding error is almost always a conflict between Nero and another program (usually installed after Nero was) and often a "freebie" one.
I've had to dump at least half a dozen freeware programs that Nero didn't like co-habiting with!
Try Super to convert if your PC will take it.(Free)

perhaps the ASPI has somthing to do with it??

Fixed the ASPI layers - they are now both the same version and are both green.

Still now luck.... gonna look for super convert now.

Download the codec from the link I gave
http://www.nero.com/enu/nero-aac-codec.html
and then follow the readme text file included.
I am presuming you have Vista?
The system ASPI isn't pre-installed in that.
If they are now both green, that should be fine.
If it still won't tramscode after codec installation then it's a good chance that there's an MP4 player or something that Nero doesn't like.
Transcoding errors are usually codec-related (I've had dozens of them over the years) but haven't burned a "coaster" for some time now :)
If you Google mp4 converter you'll get plenty of choices - many free - but Super is probably the best if you have a fast PC with high specs.
Earlier versions will be needed if you have a steam-driven PC like mine (it still  works though, just tells you your PC is rubbish) ;D
Good luck.
If you still have problems, there's a few Nero-dedicated forums on the web and here's Nero' "official explanation.
http://www.nero.com/eng/support-faq.html?s=sub&t=Video

Back