Burning DVDs in Mac OS X

kevlightyear

I\'ve downloaded a couple of dvd torrents, and am trying to burn them to play in a dvd player. The Great Hotels DVD comes as an .iso file. I\'ve tried using disk utility to burn it, but it won\'t play in our dvd player, nor will it play in the dvd player app. The other is the expedition everest dvd, which comes as a VIDEO_TS folder. I tried burning that one just like I do a regular back up dvd, but it won\'t play either. Do I really need something like Toast or Dragon Burn to burn dvds that will play in a player? When I burn things in iDVD (that WILL play in a player), they show up with just two folders, the video and audio TS folders. What is special about Toast and Dragon Burn that burning those two files in the OS won\'t do? I just don\'t wanna spend $50-100 on software I don\'t really need. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here\'s a link to a pretty good tutorial for what you are doing.

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/making_dvd_copies.html

The only thing I can figure is that you didn\'t set the correct format in disc utility before you did your burn. I will say that TOAST is really great. It will also let you convert many video formats to DVD amd can shrink files when necessary. Good luck, and let me know if this works. I\'m going to try it myself to see if I can solve it.

*UPDATE*
Ok, I\'ve figured out a solution. I\'m not sure why this works, and the other way doesn\'t, but oh well. I found an app online called DVD Imager (a simple google search should find it). This app takes a VIDEO_TS folder and creates a disk image (in the form of a .img). For some reason, this img can be burned using disk utility, and it works flawlessly. Now, this is easy for the Expedition Everest torrent, because it comes as a VIDEO_TS folder. For the Great Hotels DVD, it came as a .iso file. All I did for this was mount that file, and move the VIDEO_TS folder contained within it out, and use DVD Imager on that. It works perfectly. Both of the dvds play on their own in the dvd player app and on our PS2.

Thanks for your help, guys!

Does this also cover changing format from PAL to NTSC? I don\'t have a region-free dvd player and would love to burn some of Martin\'s videos to DVD to watch them. Toast is giving me issues with not wanting to change the format. Thanks

region free and format change is not the same

most tv\'s here can play both NTSC and PAL

just try it .. the worst that could happen is not having any colors on the screen playback :D

DVD Copy Tools is a DVD copy software which makes archive and backup DVD as possible. You can copy all of your DVD collection and even those CSS-encrypted and region-protected discs. Without special setting, DVD Copy Tools will automatically remove CSS protection and region codes during copying.
here are some guides on how to copy dvd
http://www.dvdcopymac.org/guide.html

Back