Camcorder connection problems

eyore

Hmmm, my DVD/VHS recorder gave up the ghost the other day so I bought a new one  ;D
Unfortunately, my Sony camcorder has RCA output and the new recorder only has a DV input.  :(
I think I could use an RCA/scart adapter to get the signal in but it's messy (location of recorder makes it diffiucult to get to the back).
A new camcorder isn't an option (spent too much already) nor is a second recorder with the right inputs so I'm stuck.
Anyone know if it's possible to get some sort of cable to plug the phono plugs into the DV input on the new recorder so I can transfer my park videos to DVD?
I'm getting blank looks at the store when asking this.
Thanks

Well that question made me look at my camcorder (Sony DCR-HC27) and, blow me down, there's a second output marked DV  ;D Thank you for asking that!
Off to Curry's for a cable..............
The question still remains though as I have an earlier mono Sony Handycam Hi8 ( CCD-TRV-228E)which certainly doesn't have one (and weighs a ton) but I still have a number of tapes to transfer to disc. The specs say it has an s-video output but, alas, the recorder doesn't have an S-video input :mad:
I'm really a plug and play person - and a point and shoot as well. The cameras probably have loads of features I never use (or even know about. Must read the manuals one day).
I think I can connect them to the TV plugs and record that way.
Why is nothing simple any more -    or maybe I'm just getting too old for all this technology now  :-\

s video would offer better quality and you can get s vid (plus audio phonos) to scart leads. See if the recorders scart can accept s vid.

after a quick read of your manual (TRV-228E) it certainly cant do dv ,does your Sony DCR-HC27 have pass through ?..........if so you can connect your trv 228 to your dcr hc 27 and it will connect to your pc or hd recorder with the dv cable.

or if you know anyone/relatives/friends etc who have a hi8 that does have dv out

or a capture card for your pc

or an analogue to digital converter kit from pc world

I'm off to read your other manual lol  :)

you are in luck your camcorder can record from tv/video or other camcorders and store it to tape or pass through to pc or hd recorder  :)

APOLOGIES EYEORE my mistake only if the other device has a dv out , sorry

GOT IT WORKING  ;D ;D ;D
The problem arose as my DVD/VCR died so got a nice new one (Panasonic) with phono sockets. Unfortunately, it would only play back DVD+RW recorded in V mode (yes, you've guessed it, all of mine - and I know I shouldn't use RWs but I like to add similar content etc at a later date - were recorded in VR mode - bummer).  :mad:
This got me to replace it with a Toshiba which WILL play the discs but only had a DV input.
I tried the camera with a nice new cable (my first venture into firewire) - nothing.
Several calls later I was convinced it wasn't me  :p
A trip back to the shop for a replacement cable and all is well (first cable was dud).
With the Hi8 camera, Martin's mention of scart made me remember getting a phono-scart adapter in the box (never had to use it) so, feeling brave, I connected it to the spare scart socket (usually used for connecting a Sky TV box or similar) and that works as well.
Now, just got to get the money back for the Panasonic (well they did assure me it would play everything).
Thanks for all the suggestions. My poor PC is far too slow to plug the camera in (tried and the results were very poor) and no firewire port.
I have, however, assured my wife that all this could have been avoided if I had a nice new FAST PC.  ;D
I don't think it's working though from the derisory snort I got in reply.

Back