Speed

grimghost

What determines how fast something gets downloaded? I just got WDW past, present and future and it came down at around 140-150k per second. I\'m trying to get WDW Today TV loop (as well as HD Undiscovered) and its stuck around 4-8k. What makes the difference ?

It all depends on what type of connection the seeder has. If he/she has dial-up it will be slow on your download. If they have high speed it will download faster on your end. Also, once more people complete the file, it will go faster because you are getting pieces of the file from several different people, as opposed to having to get all of the pieces from one person - while others are also trying to download from that person.:-/

Hope that makes sense.

# of seeders, number of leechers who have parts you need, and how fast each of those people can upload will determine how fast you download. You\'re not just downloading from seeders, you\'re also downloading from leechers who have blocks you still need to download. Even if a seeder isn\'t online, 2 leechers will share what they have so far so they can get as much out of the way as possible until a seeder comes back.

You\'re downloading from other people\'s connections, not a dedicated server(well in some cases people seed out of servers but you get my point). It\'s just an issue of how fast you\'re being uploaded to that determines your download speed.

I forgot to mention you can also get files from the leachers. There has been times where Azureus showed nobody seeding a file I was downloading, but the leachers that were connected had enough of the parts I needed so I was actually able to complete my download while nobody was seedeing.

mikebrakes,

Is there something you do in Azureus to accomplish this? However, I\'ve been stuck at close to 0k for a day now trying to get Spaceship Earth and the whole time there has been seeders..

There was nothing in Azureus or anything I did to do this. It was a file from a different tracker (site)that happened to have several leachers. I think there were almost 50. It just happened that the people leaching had enough of the parts I needed to complete my download. Soon after my torrent completed there were 4 or 5 other people that suddenly showed up as seeders right after I did. I found the torrent soon after it was uploaded and there were enough of us so that that we had all of the parts of the torrent between us, but no one person had the whole file. It\'s happened to me two or three times.

As far as being stuck with seeders - are you using Azureus? If so, they show two numbers in the seeder column. Something like 0(3). This means there are three seeders, but none of them are currently in the stream. It means you are not connected to them. I don\'t know for sure if they are currently connected at the moment, (their computer may be turned off?) but if you leave the torrent open, people will eventually show up as seeding. If it shows seeders that are connected (the first number) and/or leachers and you are still stuck at 0, you have a problem. It should be downloading something.

If that\'s the case, you might want to try changing your incoming TCP/UDP listen port. Go to \"tools\" click on \"options\" and under \"connections\" you can change your settings. Sometimes that will get me started again when my torrents stop. If that\'s the case, Azureus has a popup telling you that particular port is reserved. If you get that message try changing Azureus until you quit getting that message. Change from 6881 to 6882, 83... and so on. Eventually you will find a port that will work. Hope this helps.

Mike,

I finally got it all. Yeah I had 2 ( 8 ) in the seeders column, so I don\'t know what the problem was. As far as the port goes, It\'s just a crap shoot huh?..it seems on the NAT firewall test I got an error on everything I tried, however, I know I pulled something down at around 150k (WDW Past, Present and future) make any sense?

Back