FLAC files

I downloaded the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Forever Project V6, not realizing that it was all FLAC. Im not too sure what this means, but I want these files! Is there a way to convert these files into mp3s on iTunes? I just need to get them on my library.

princedalton said:
I downloaded the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Forever Project V6, not realizing that it was all FLAC. Im not too sure what this means, but I want these files! Is there a way to convert these files into mp3s on iTunes? I just need to get them on my library.

You can download the FLAC codec to play them on your computer. To convert you will need to use a program. DBpoweramp is my recommended however you will need to pay to convert to mp3.

I\'ve used WinLAME on a pc to convert FLACs to mp3s. it\'s a free program; I just did a search and grabbed it. used it a couple of times, and it\'s fairly user-friendly. hope this helps.

There is a .flac plug-in for winamp that works great. The only thing is that it outputs the files at a slightly lower volume than it would be playing the .wav\'s, but nothing big. One thing though, if you only want mp3, you can download the DLF mp3 collection (it\'s much smaller, but some songs are incomplete/ missing).

Disneys America said:
But doesn\'t converting FLAC to .mp3 defeat the purpose of having the FLAC file in the first place?

That\'s what I was thinking :-/

foobar2000 audio player is free and plays them fine for me.

markmad999 said:
Disneys America said:
But doesn\'t converting FLAC to .mp3 defeat the purpose of having the FLAC file in the first place?

That\'s what I was thinking :-/

foobar2000 audio player is free and plays them fine for me.

Not necessarily I do it often. Except I choose OGG.

First of all my MP3 player can\'t play FLAC...and if it could...You can\'t tell the difference between a FLAC file and a OGG with and pair of earbuds short of Shure or higher.

Part of the advantage of FLAC is you can transcode a file without compressing it twice.

Hear Here; I agree, Sdiver2489! if you have your mp3 importing set at 320 kbps, I doubt if even Shures would enable you to tell any difference.

One difference you *will* be able to notice will be the smaller mp3 file sizes. when I first saw how big... nay huge the FLAC files were, I was astounded... 31 megs for a 4:28 song, versus 10 megs in mp3 format at 320 kbps... well, if you have unlimited space use FLAC; otherwise I recommend converting for everyday use.

If you wanna play on your iPod without losing quality, convert from FLAC to Apple Lossless.

To play on an MP3 player which supports Windows Media without losing quality, convert from FLAC to Windows Media Audio Lossless.

Disneys America said:

Only if you intentionally got it as a flac file. If there\'s a song you wanted but it was only available on here as flac, then looking for a way to convert it into mp3 doesn\'t defeat anything.

Technically, you can load up Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/) as an alternative firmware on most MP3 players and play FLAC files, but even I don\'t do that, and I\'m a lossless audio zealot. Disk space on portable players is just too small and, as already mentioned, you\'d be hard-pressed to hear a real difference with cheap earbuds or your cars standard sound system.

I still can\'t recommended using FLAC at home enough, though.

I\'d convert to LAME mp3 for portable players, it isn\'t going to make a huge deal for them. But for home systems, I like to have the best quality.

Back