Converting .mp4 files to DVD??

G

how can i convert these files to DVD? or to mpeg? will there be a dramatic loss of graphics? or sound?

I use ConvertXtoDVD. I see no loss of quality and I am picky. It will take almost any file format you throw at it.

NeroVision Express will also work if you have the version with the right plug-ins, namely the MPEG DVD plug-in.

But where do i get that Program? I just have a normal Nero program to burn Music.. what can I do? i\'m lost

There\'s a program called TMPGEnc that will let you convert mp4 files to MPEG. There\'s a trial version someplace on the web. After a certain period of time the free version will only let you convert to MPEG-1 at 352x240, but during the trial period I believe it lets you convert to MPEG-2.

I use the trial (free :D) version and wanted better than 352x240, so I then converted the file to MPEG-2 at 720x480 in a program called CyberLink PowerDirector that came with my USB capture device. The quality converting twice came out pretty good, better than I was expecting. Time consuming, but good quality.

Then I read on here you can burn directly in Nero, which I have. I get a message \"AVC demo version expired. Due to patent restrictions AVC encoding is no longer available, you have to buy an upgrade.\" (I guess I\'m just using a trial version of an upgrade I downloaded someplace on the net.)*

I ignored the warning and burned in Nero anyway. It let me burn the DVD, but I actually think the quality is better converting the file twice using TMPGEnc and PowerDirector.

* Okay, yes I use the free versions of both, but it seems every time you need to get another program for video or audio files they want you to pay for it. It gets expensive trying to keep up with all the new programs coming out all the time - so I use the free version whenever I can. :p

I just started Experimenting with Puma Video Converter I will let you know how it works I am using the trial version but the full version is only $24.95 so if it works this maybe a reasonable choice to convert these files to MPEG2 for easier DVD conversion.

If absolutely necessary, you can use a converter, but a DVD application that will take them directly and make a DVD would be your best option.
I have mentioned a couple in this thread and there are more.

ANY conversion means quality loss and then you have to take that file and run another compression scheme when going to DVD. This defeats the purpose of using the h.264 (MP4 Files posted on Mousebits) encoder to try to maintain the best quality.

I love ConvertXtoDVD ($35 USD) because it will take almost any video format and make a DVD that is very close to the quality of the original file. I don\'t want to post a link, but it can be easily found with your favorite search tool. Like I said, there are other applications also.

I think part of the problem is that many do not want to spend any money and are looking for freeware. I have yet to find one that is worth downloading.

Just trying to help ;)

I piurchased ConvertXtoDVD and it does not do a great job IMHO the video especially if there are slight flaws int he original capture becomes Pixelated and jumpy at times. The audio is out of sync at times and the DVD becomes unwatchable now granted other files are fine most of the time I was just looking for an alternative for some of the flawed files. It also does not handle different formats well for example if have a Divx file you want on the same DVD as an MP4 it often messes up one or both of the files. I am assuming since this format is relatively new as time passes more programs will begin to include it in their compatible files. I am still looking for an authoring solution that doesn\'t conflict with my current applications that will accept them.

True, nothing is perfect in the computer world. :(

I guess it depends on how your system is configured. I have encountered a few problems here and there, but have burned nearly 100 DVDs with it and am happy with MOST of them.

There will always be alternatives and preferences. Just realying my experiences over the years ;)

I\'ve been using VSO DivXtoDVD (an old freeware version) and while it takes awhile to convert, the picture quality is outstanding. The only issue I\'m having it that it breaks some of the .mp4 files into multiple vidoes in the video TS folder and sometimes the sound becomes out of sync with the lips. Of course, that could just be a problem caused by Nero when I\'m burning the DVD\'s.

there is a max size of the video ts files of 1024MB (I think) so it\'s not bad that it brakes up in multiple video files (normal dvd\'s have the same structure :)

dolbyman said:
there is a max size of the video ts files of 1024MB (I think) so it\'s not bad that it brakes up in multiple video files (normal dvd\'s have the same structure :)

Yes, that is the standard for SD DVD - 1GB vob files

I have started using ConvertXtoDVD as well. I\'m just getting tired of the massive amount of \"wasted\" time converting many of the videos.

For example, my HD conversion had taken anywhere between 12 and 16 hours, depending on the length and how picky I\'m being. It\'s kindof nice to just drag and drop and end up with something reasonable.

It does have it\'s flaws though, but for the most part it\'s been the most reliable point and shoot converting porgram I\'ve used.

If I want something to look outstanding though, I wouldn\'t even look at ConvertXtoDVD. I\'d do the transfer \"by hand\".

Back