Total Newbie...

I\'m totally new to torrents and basically have NO IDEA what it is. I\'m assuming it\'s sort of like a peer to peer file sharing, but what are \"seeds\" and \"leechers\" and how on earth does it all work?

I was able to download some files, so I know HOW to do it I think, but I don\'t know WHAT I\'m doing.

Can anyone help with the jargon? I certainly don\'t want to be leeching (sounds bad). Is seeding a good thing?

Hello,

Leeching = someone downloading the file
Seeders = the person, or people that have already downloading the file, and are now sharing it, or uploading it.

The more seeders, the faster the download will be for new downloaders.

First off, if you don\'t already have a bit torrent client, you need to get one. I personally recommend utorrent from utorrent.com

The small files you download from this site, then open up in utorrent, and utorrent will download the real file from all the seeders.

Can anyone answer this ? Relatively new user and I\'ve checked for an answer around some of the various help topics and cant seem to narrow down an answer. I\'m downloading the 2.3gb wdw today torrent and I notice the download speed keeps ranging from around 13 to 35 and estimated finish time is 1 day and xxx hours. I realize a file that big is going to take some time, but 1 day + ?? Am I perhaps doing something wrong or IS that normal ? Thanks for any input in advance.

Foolish Mortal said:
Can anyone answer this ? Relatively new user and I\'ve checked for an answer around some of the various help topics and cant seem to narrow down an answer. I\'m downloading the 2.3gb wdw today torrent and I notice the download speed keeps ranging from around 13 to 35 and estimated finish time is 1 day and xxx hours. I realize a file that big is going to take some time, but 1 day + ?? Am I perhaps doing something wrong or IS that normal ? Thanks for any input in advance.

are you using a wireless router?

Also, run the NAT check and make sure the port works ok

Foolish Mortal,

A file that big can take several days to download. (We have a couple on here even bigger.) Your download speed depends on how many people are connected running that patricular torrent. As a general rule, the more people connected, the faster the download. Over a day for a file over 2gb isn\'t unusual at all. I\'m going through a router and have had to wait several days for some of the bigger files to complete.

As far as the range of your download, that\'s completely normal as well.

I totally confused. I am trying to download the Illuminations A & B audio, but it has been saying connecting to peers for a long time now. How do I get \"peers\"? Also, how do you upload and share a file? What can I do so that my downloading can get started?

First, I would like to say that Azureus is a good program if you have enough memory to run it. I would recommend at least 512mb. For slower systems, uTorrent(microTorrent) is great!!! The link is below:
http://www.utorrent.com/
RoE_lover, you must first download a .torrent file from this site that is a small file(~ 1-10 kB) that tells your Bittorrent program(i.e. Azureus, uTorrent) what to download and how to download it. You must check the \'S\'(seed) column on the torrent page of this site. Seeds are good because those that have completed a download are sharing a complete file to other users. Typically, more seeds = faster download. Could you tell us what connection you have and if you have a firewall?

If you do have a firewall, you must open up ports(i.e. unobstructed data paths) within your firewall. Ports must be configured properly in order for torrent file-sharing to function.

Back