MouseBits

Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: A new HD camera tips!  (Read 17770 times)

TheWorm

• Uploader
Re: A new HD camera tips!
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2008, 09:44:51 AM »

I really liked my HC96. It was as nice quality as a consumer level(while not prosumer) standard def camcorder could get. It processed things at 3.1 megapixels down to the 720x480 NTSC DV standard which is pretty good for SD but the reason I bring it up after SirLamer's post is because rather than go for the 3 smaller pixeled CCD sensors that total up to a larger resolution approach that most camcorders went for, Sony just put it into one big giant sensor. I liked it better personally. I could ride dark rides like Pirates of the Caribbean and slow my sensor down 1 or 2 stops so it wasn't too much for the motion blur and get great footage.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 09:46:48 AM by TheWorm »

eyore

• V.I.P.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »

I also think it is quite noticeable that (certainly at DLRP) that many of the dark rides are getting darker.
I noticed that, this year in particular, POTC has rearranged the lighting yet again (16 years of video comes in handy  ;D   ) and have placed brighter lights near the front of most of the figures (but not illuminating them) which causes the camera to adjust the exposure (on auto) so everything in the background is much darker. The individual lighting for each figure is also more restricted and far more orange than it used to be.
I suspect Disney tests the lighting with camcorders just to frustrate us.
This year, I have Peter Pan with very few pictures (no skull rock at all) and even the Hook/Crocodile figures are barely visible (They were better last year with the same camera and settings).
I'm also wondering if they have some counter measure to night vision as well as several rides (again, POTC and HM being quite noticeable) just didn't come out as well as they should have with it switched on (again, by comparison with last year) whereas the results for other rides were the same as last year (so it's not a camera malfunction).
Is there a conspiracy or am I getting paranoid.........
I do usually take my old Hi-8 camera but didn't take it around the park this year.
I may just dig out my old VHS-C camera (cheap, spare one I bought second hand when my good one dies) for next time.
Great, 3 camcorders, Minidisc and digital camera to cart around now!
Need a cart now! Maybe I'll pretend to have an invisible small child and hire a stroller ;D
"The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing."

dolbyman

• Administrator
  • Da' Admin
    • MouseBits
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2008, 01:07:17 PM »

Is there a HD camera that will work in poor light.
The old (analogue) camera went down to about 0.5 lux, the new one only 3 and that was about as good as I could find - even the more expensive models were all around that (including some costing 4 times the price).

My vote is for Canon HV30(black model of my hv20 with some minor changes)

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HV30-Camcorder-Review-34401.htm

or

Canon HG10
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Canon-HG10-Camcorder-Review-33146.htm

also doin a good low light job is the
Samsung SC-HMX20
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content/Samsung-SC-HMX20-Camcorder-Review-35416.htm

JPWDW

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2008, 02:08:49 AM »

Oh, wait! Too many things that I don't get, but resolved in a simple question:
Are there any ways to change or adjust the night settings in the cameras to have a better video without the black points arround? Or are there any things that I can buy to have a better video?
Thanks to everyone for all the imput here... ;) :P

dolbyman

• Administrator
  • Da' Admin
    • MouseBits
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2008, 08:20:16 AM »

well most of the time the camera gains for a reason .. it's reaching (beyond) it's lilmits ... if you camera has an option for controllling the gain (the hv20 only has some indirect exposure lock and exposure control) you could try to reduce the gain to +~5db or so .. depending when your imager starts to g(r)ain

kirky

• Uploader
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:05:26 AM »

Hmm.. I couldn't find this thread before.  I took a chance and picked up an Canon HV30 just the other day.  WOW!  I'm totally impressed.  I'm not looking for pro level features, but this ting looks like it's going to keep me busy.  Plenty of time before my next trip, so I'll be prepared.

This is going to be fun!

dolbyman

• Administrator
  • Da' Admin
    • MouseBits
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 08:10:57 AM »

yeap .. the HV30 is a great choice .. congrats  ;D (just don't get it wet  ::) )

kirky

• Uploader
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 01:24:40 PM »

Things to record:

1.  Fantasmic!
2.  Rock'n Roller Coaster
3.  Splash Mountain
4.  Haunted Mansion
5.  Illuminations

Thanks!

Ted_Flint

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2008, 01:35:08 AM »

As you can see, there are conflicting ideas as to what is best practise for an HD camera, or any camera. The only real way to see what works best for you and your camera, is to get out there and use it.
There are a few other topics about that suggest basic camera practise (monopods, UV filters etc.)- give them a read and see. Also, read the manual! You could find jewels of information there, including how to best manually set focus and similar.
My own suggestion? Get out and try it! Maybe go to a zoo, or a park and film animals? Attend a party and record the tomfoolery? Put yourself in conditions that you would find at WDW and trial what happens.
Best of luck, look forward to seeing a masterpiece in the near future!

abovethefirehouse

• Above The Firehouse Podcast
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2008, 06:02:34 AM »

i just purchased this HV30 4 weeks ago and i love it.  low light i don't like how single cmos performs.  even if there are 3 cmos performace suffers  i wish they made this camera with 3 ccd at a 1/3 size...

dolbyman

• Administrator
  • Da' Admin
    • MouseBits
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2008, 08:09:35 AM »

sadly .. and for some reason a 3chip camcorder with relatively large imagers and god manual controls is what the peeple all over the internet would love .. but you either get 3 small chips with sub HD res (pixelshift) or one chip (ranging from tiny to mid range)

I guess the big players want to push their large models ... If they'd only realize that those are too large (for casual carry around)

abovethefirehouse

• Above The Firehouse Podcast
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2008, 10:11:08 AM »

as the one person said about his hc96 (i have one two) that is a full size chip 1/3 on it.  i got great results from it.  the hd in day on the hv30 rocks i must admit.  i dont mind holding a 3chip camers since i am large myself.hhehe will be getting either a canon XH-A1 or the Sony DCR-FX1 since that is discontinied for a 3 1/3 cmos version.  i know there are a few out there still new in box.

dolbyman

• Administrator
  • Da' Admin
    • MouseBits
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2008, 12:09:39 PM »

well my hv20 looks very flimsy when I hold it ... so an fx7 or XA-H1 would fit me better too ... but imagine the bag to hold that cam and then try to put that bag in front of your seat when riding R'nR coaster ... too bulky .. my tamrac holds my EOS 400 and HV20 and still fits in every coaster

that digital red scarlet looks interresting but 3000$ for a raw body ist heavy but the specs are out of the roof for that one
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up