Why DivX?

evina

I really hate DivX. Why does everyone encode their videos with it? Whenever I try to play it on my computer it freezes up.

Do all DivX encoded videos freeze up for you or just the higher-resolution videos?  I've found that HD format videos play back much better on a dual-core processor or better.

pixelated said:
Do all DivX encoded videos freeze up for you or just the higher-resolution videos?  I've found that HD format videos play back much better on a dual-core processor or better.

I think almost all the videos freeze up. Fortunately, I am able to convert most of them to wmv or something like that. I never have problems with any other format.

Divx/Xvid are the most widely accepted video formats.  They are cross platform and have decent compression.

Did you by chance ever installed on of those CODEC packs?  Those are just bad news in general.  I did that once and it was easier to rebuild my PC that straighten out the mess it caused.  If you're able to convert them, it sems to reason that whatever you're using for the conversion has no trouble with the decoding/encoding.  I would look there...  There are many, many people with no difficulty with Divx/Xvid...

I have problems with all HD videos because I have a slow PC.
They do, however, play reasonably well using the VLC player.
Rubbish with WMP however  ;D
No problems with none HD stuff though (1,7 gig Celeron with 1 gig ram).
I also got in a mess using a codec pack (previous PC). Don't touch them unless they allow you to just install the one you want.

I usually discourage against DivX and promote h.264 in an .mp4 container encoded using x264.  The resulting video is non-proprietary and used to mean a higher quality video as well (which really means smaller file, basically).

However, DivX 7 is also h.264 now, so the quality argument is out the window.

I'm pretty sure DivX can encode to h.264 standard video too, now, and put it in either a .mp4 or .mkv container.  People really should be doing this now.

I actually prefer .divx or .avi format since those can most easily be burned to DVD.  I don't have a burner or software that will burn .mp4 format so an end up having to convert that...often with mixed results as they sometimes turn out with out of sync audio/video.

Well that just means you don't have the right program for .mp4's. :p

It can be done with any video format, even if it requires ripping to bitmap frames and then back to DVD.

SirLamer said:
Well that just means you don't have the right program for .mp4's. :p

It can be done with any video format, even if it requires ripping to bitmap frames and then back to DVD.
Of what you speak requires work!

and a modicum of brain power - rapidly decreasing for me  :p
I'm afraid I convert them too  :-[
I don't mind what format stuff is in. I keep the originals because, some day, I may know what I'm doing and have the equipment to play them as intended.
It's not the uploader's fault that I'm do dumb, after all  :D

It's been a while since I've checked this thread.
I'll try the VLC player and see if that makes any difference.

Back