HTTP 500 Error

irving

Hi,

For the past days I have been reeiving constantly in my both computers HTTP 500 errors when trying to access mousebits.com. Tough it was a problem form the server, but today I accessed in another laptop, the only diffenrece is that this one has win vista, instead of win xp.

Any ideas??

I can access forums, but no "main pages" from mousebits.

Thanks a lot!

You could try Firefox as your browser -  I gave up on IE ages ago unless it's a site that can only use IE (there are some) whilst you follow up on pixelated's advice.

Hi and thanks for your comments!

I had tried both solutions mentioned in your replies: The first one is already turned on, and for the other one: when I´m trying to connect via Firefox, I just get a blank page :(

I'll appreciate any help...please

A few questions:
- Does Firefox give you a completely blank page?  What do you see if you select "View->Page Source" (<CTRL>+<u> shortcut) in Firefox?
- Which versions of IE and Firefox are you using?
Thanks!

Good questions.
I'd also like o ask a few more (we'll get this sorted between us)
I'm on XP and don't have any problems so it's not the server, it's something fooling the PC into thinking it is.
Now, as you have the friendly bit turned on already, what is it saying?
The 500 error is a generic one and posted from what's already stored as an error message in your PC.
The friendly message should have given you more details as to the problem.
When you tried to connect, what did it say? It should say something else other than the http 500.
The fact that Firefox isn't working either suggests something other than the basic HTTP 500 error message suggests (which would be a problem with Mousebits which is unlikely otherwise we'd all be getting it).
I also take it that this is the only site you have problems with and does Firefox work for other sites OK?
Just run through things like any banned sites etc you may have on the PCs in case you've  blocked it by mistake.
I'd also suggest a good virus and spyware/malware scan of the PCs in case you've picked up anything from a website you've visited  (try SpybotSD and Malwarebytes).

What do you get when you ping it from the command prompt?  I get a reply from 200.35.146.10.

What happens (if you don't get the same) after you flush the DNS cache and then ping again?  You can go to Start -> cmd -> ipconfig /flushdns to do that part.

Try it from the actual command prompt rather than running the ping from the start>run box (so it will stay on the screen and you can read what it says) - mine flashes off the screen otherwise  :D
I'm sure you know but to ping you type in

ping www.mousebits.com

Also try accessing a different page here - say the forums rather than the main page
http://www.mousebits.com/index.php?page=forum
and see if you can access that.
Do please keep us informed.

The interesting part is that the forums are accessible but not the rest of MouseBits, which makes it seem like some sort of authentication problem.

irving said:

Also, it's a new problem and IE still shows the HTTP 500 error even though "friendly HTTP error" is already enabled.  Curiouser and curiouser...

I use Firefox and Internet Explorer 8 and the site works fine in both Internet versions that I run on my computer what version of Firefox are you using to get to this site? I am using Firefox version 3.68 on my computer to see this site and the site works good for me try to download that version of Firefox it should work for you like it does for me. I think that you might have a computer virus try running a virus scanner on your computer or use malwarebytes anti malware on your computer and do a scan with that system it works alot better than a virus scanner the link to that site I will post in this topic for you the link to get that system on your computer is www.malwarebytes.org try going to that site and downloading the free version and run a scan on your computer it might find some type of virus or malware on your computer.

pixelated said:
The interesting part is that the forums are accessible but not the rest of MouseBits, which makes it seem like some sort of authentication problem.

First thing I checked and I could find nothing wrong.

Maybe create a new account and see if that works or try your account at a friends PC.

pixelated said:

irving said:

Also, it's a new problem and IE still shows the HTTP 500 error even though "friendly HTTP error" is already enabled.  Curiouser and curiouser...

Sorry, missed that bit about the forums in the original post  :-[
Long shot:
Log out of Mousebits , clear all the caches and delete all the cookies that refer to mousebits you can find and reboot.
I'm really curious as to why Firefox won't work though.
Irving, did you try the right click "view source" yet?

Hi there,

Here are my answers, still having this issue  :(

Yes Firefox gives me a complete blank page, I tried displaying the source, and guess what?? it was also blank.
My browsers versions are: IE 8.0.6001 and Firefox 3.6.3 and also tried on 3.6.8
HTTP 500 error says: (sorry for the translation, my version is in Spanish, so it could be a couple of different words in the english version)

Web Site can't show the page
probable causes are:
Web site is under maintenance
Web site has a proigramming error

You can try:
Refresh the page
Go back to last page displayed

More information
HTTP 500 error (internal server error) means that the website you are trying to reach has a server porblem that does not allow to show the web page

You are right, eyore: on both IE and FireFox I have tried other web pages succesfully. I'll run right now Spybot and AVG (currently Installed antispyware and Antivirus)

I also did the ping, and it returned with zero lost packets (from 200.35.146.10) and they took 372ms the longest.

Tried to access http://www.mousebits.com/index.php?page=forum, and it wasn't succesful )but http://www.mousebits.com/smf/index.php and it work perfect. I can even use my user name and password here.

I had previously cleaned cache and cookies, but it doesn't work.

More curios things: This error started at two laptops at the same time....in one of them, I was in the process of changing my password. Nevertheless, that same night I tried my girlfriend's laptop and the site works perfectly there, I can authenticate and have a "normal" navigation.

Many, many Thanks for your help!!! Any other idea, pllllleeaseeeeee???

PS. How can I see if accidentaly banned the site?? 

irving said:

I kind of doubt you could accidentally ban the MouseBits main site (but somehow leave the forums accessible) for two different web browsers on two different computers at the same time and not remember doing that ;D.

To check on Internet Explorer, go to:
   Tools -> Internet Options -> Content
See if the "Content Advisor" is enabled (the "Settings" button will not be grayed out if it is enabled).
If "Content Advisor" is enabled, click on the "Settings" button and go to the "Approved Sites" tab.  Check the "List of approved and disapproved websites" to see if MouseBits is on the list and has the "never allowed" setting.  That would be indicated by a "No Entry" traffic sign (red circle with horizontal white bar through the middle) next to the name.

Firefox does not have a built-in way to block websites.  An add-on like BlockSite or ProCon would have to be installed and configured.  It's not something you could accidentally do with an inadvertent keystroke or mouse click.

You could try dajatje's suggestion of creating a new account to see if that gets around the problem.

pixelated said:
irving said:

I kind of doubt you could accidentally ban the MouseBits main site (but somehow leave the forums accessible) for two different web browsers on two different computers at the same time and not remember doing that ;D.

You're right..hehe.  I'll try creating a new account on other computer, clean cache and Browsing History again, and try to log in this laptop.

I'll keep you posted.  Thanks!

500 errors are server-side I think so probably we have to help to fix it.  When you changed laptops to get the different result, are both computers running on the same Internet connection?

Can you give a more accurate prediction of when you started getting this error?  I haven't changed anything in awhile so I can't think of a cause that would recently take form.

You're not banned.  I handle all the bans.  I always ban from the front page and the forum at the same time.

Any chance there was a resolution to this issue?  I've been running into a similar problem for the last 10 days.  I can't connect from either IE or Firefox on two different computers here at home.  I just get connection timeouts.  But if I VPN into work from the same computer then I can connect fine.  I've seen this issue sporadically over the last several weeks, but it's always seemed to work itself out in a couple of hours.  But now I haven't been able to connect since August 15th.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

We have seen bans at our ISP level before as a result of creating too many connection at once (Anti DDoS measure). I think it was with our previous ISP though and can't remember if it generated error 500.

What IP address do you get when you do the following?
ping www.mousebits.com

We also have seen issues when mousebits.com was used instead of www.mousebits.com

Just to confirm, you are putting the www in when you try and access the site as you did when you pinged it?
What was the result of the ping by the way - did it get through or fail?

Yes, www.mousebits.com.  And even trying the previous suggestions of going to the forum or another link on the site don't work.  I've cleared my cache, my cookies, flushed the DNS all to no avail.

The ping gets a "Request timed out".

Thanks for the help.  I need my Disney fix.

Folks,

Sorry for the lack of news, I was out of town without my laptop during last week, and this one has been a very busy one. Just to let you all know. The surprise came when I returned to mousebits, as I no longer see HTTP500 error, the only thing I did was clean the Cache and cookies with a tool called CCleaner , but this time it worked fine.

Appreciate your support!

And today it's mysteriously back to working again with no problems.    ???

Thanks for the help troubleshooting and for whatever it was that fixed it.

Back